Thad Franklin Walked Out of Practice

He never lost weight? He never improved his command of the playbook (I said "improved", not "mastered")? He never got onto the field and made a few good runs?

If Thad had not shown signs of turnaround (even if they were false-positives), he would have been asked to leave like Nesta was.
My man, Cribby even said. The last staff regretted taking him the minute he got on campus.

He wasn’t asked to leave because everybody was hurt. Why do you think Lucius took his snaps?

Advertisement
My man, Cribby even said. The last staff regretted taking him the minute he got on campus.

He wasn’t asked to leave because everybody was hurt. Why do you think Lucius took his snaps?

You have conveniently compressed the timeline down so as to obliterate the different stages over the past few years.

Never said that the last staff didn't regret it. They did. And SINCE THEN, Thad lost weight and put himself into position to be able to do more than just 3rd-and-short.

"He wasn't asked to leave because everybody was hurt"? Sure, maybe two weeks ago. But not "everybody was hurt" six months ago. At a certain point, Mario's staff DID feel like Thad was serious about improving and serious about contributing.

It's not accurate to sit here with 11/16/2022 knowledge and then act as if today's fact-pattern applies to the past several years equally. Thad is one of several players who promised buy-in, who promised commitment, who showed signs of life, and who has now regressed.

Now, if Mario knew in January what he knows today, Thad would have been Nesta'd before Spring practice and we would have taken another RB from the Portal EARLIER in the process.

EDIT: Please keep in mind that Mario could have just booted guys off the roster under the NCAA's first-year-coach exemption, and we had UNLIMITED IC's to be able to replace anyone up to the scholarship limit of 85. So there was NO INCENTIVE to keep Thad in the spring if Mario honestly felt that he was not going to improve and contribute.

What ironic is I remember when he committed to UM that a lot of yall werent even hype about him and had A LOT of concerns about weight etc

It’s because his tape was just okay. People kept throwing out high school stats around like that made up for the fact he lacked explosiveness.

I gave up hyping anyone who’s tape wasn’t great because “of the competition down here”.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hope he finds his life's path. Also, if Mario is who Mario says he is, it will, and should be, separation of the dudes that wanna be True Canes and the others.

What's the difference between quitting the team during practice, and quitting a few hours later like Frierson did?
You honestly see no difference? One kid showed class and went out the right way and the other walked out in the middle of practice because he got passed in the depth chart.

Advertisement
Walk on Stanley passed him up. End thread
4jksQBIY8xEwE.gif

He’s behind Chaney , citizen, Parrish, and knighton

Being 5th string all year I’m not sure what he was expecting to happen but he should have left under good terms so the coaching staff can help him find the best landing spot
And all of those guys were hurt at some point during the year. He had an opportunity to taKe the job and instead looked lazy and disinterested.

Not much to say at this point. Other than I remember this place enjoying the same action at other schools… life happens fast

Buckle up!

Advertisement
oh so is this a thread we can trash a player? Not the coaches fault on this one? just read the Gilbert thread and apparently he was another "wasted talent" even though he gave two ***** about football obvioulsy. Even with his dramatic post.

You have conveniently compressed the timeline down so as to obliterate the different stages over the past few years.

Never said that the last staff didn't regret it. They did. And SINCE THEN, Thad lost weight and put himself into position to be able to do more than just 3rd-and-short.

"He wasn't asked to leave because everybody was hurt"? Sure, maybe two weeks ago. But not "everybody was hurt" six months ago. At a certain point, Mario's staff DID feel like Thad was serious about improving and serious about contributing.

It's not accurate to sit here with 11/16/2022 knowledge and then act as if today's fact-pattern applies to the past several years equally. Thad is one of several players who promised buy-in, who promised commitment, who showed signs of life, and who has now regressed.

Now, if Mario knew in January what he knows today, Thad would have been Nesta'd before Spring practice and we would have taken another RB from the Portal EARLIER in the process.

EDIT: Please keep in mind that Mario could have just booted guys off the roster under the NCAA's first-year-coach exemption, and we had UNLIMITED IC's to be able to replace anyone up to the scholarship limit of 85. So there was NO INCENTIVE to keep Thad in the spring if Mario honestly felt that he was not going to improve and contribute.
everyone, the players included knew the reckoning was going to come after this season

mario nor any other coach would cut bait with players before the first season for depth purposes

thad is handling it the completely wrong way but it was probably pretty evident to the staff and to him that he was gone after the season anyways so this whole situation really doesn't change much other than give us fans and the outside world a clue that mario has his hands full with this roster

I remember reports coming out that the first week he was on campus he was late or no showed to several workouts because he couldn’t wake up.

Advertisement
oh so is this a thread we can trash a player? Not the coaches fault on this one? just read the Gilbert thread and apparently he was another "wasted talent" even though he gave two ***** about football obvioulsy. Even with his dramatic post.
Whoa! This one is a little over the top for me. Everything I have read about Gil since he got to Miami were positive. He couldn't find a role, but I don't think his effort was ever questioned.. until maybe recently when the PT vanished. He has his degree, and made a decision to leave, did not trash the program publicly and did not make a scene publicly on the way out. Kids make those posts all day, everyday. C'mon man!

**** and all this ahead of Thanksgiving week. What could have been, I had been holding my breath to use Happy THADSGIVING but alas I just let out a huge sigh. Would have been nice for him to put it together, wish he would've seen the forest through the trees. #Accountability

Advertisement
Back