Texas HS player body slam ref

Advertisement
Why wouldn’t the referee press charges? This kid is a thug and should be punished. Letting him off with an apology for a blind side hit this vicious would be a travesty. He did not just push the guy he laid into him intentionally.
Civil suit, get medical expenses reimbursed plus some additional damages. Leave it there. After that, unlikely he plays again. As I previously stated, you really can't have guys like that on your team as a coach or player.

Edit: I take it back. I'm indifferent to the criminal side. If he gets charged, he's earned it.

Yes, from a legal standpoint. From a real life standpoint its a mistake made by a teenager whose life is likely always under a spotlight.

In my opinion, a bigger mistake would be made if that refs decided to press charges. (assuming there's not some major back story to this kid).

Keep in mind my comments were made more so in response to the lynch mob that formed on page one of this thread than to the on-field act itself.
Well, the lynch mob is his community is assailing him on his social media. My experience tells me this is learned behavior and that he’s done similar actions before when he’s angry. The reaction of his coaches showed that they were expecting this action from the player but they were too late. Suppose Aaron Hernandez was stopped and properly dealt with in HS for his actions? He may still be alive as well as his Victims!!!

Advertisement
Not that I agree or disagree, but he can kiss that Vandy scholarship goodbye.....I don't necessarily say give up on a young man at such a young age where WHO KNOWS what is happening at home....but a lower tier school with a partial scholarship could help to humble the young man. And sadly Idk if he'll even get that after what he did. I think this one needs to be looked at from all angles, it was horrible what he did, but at the same time let's not make it like the kid "Myles Garrett-style" swung his helmet at the refs head or even had his helmet on. He charged the ref and pushed him down is what he did.....horrible, yes....inexcusable, yes.....deservant of stiff and firm consequences, absolutely......criminal, that's where it gets hard for me because he made a young and dumb decision but a permanent criminal record for like felony assault is way overboard
He could very well spend some time in jail for this. Also, his parents are going to be sued by the ref and his family. Kid can kiss ANY scholarships or offers goodbye. He might get a walk on at some last chance judo some day, but basically he is toast.

curious if it would be aggravated assault if he was wearing his helmet. I believe it should be. As a coach I may whip that kid myself, regardless of what his parents think. Unacceptable.
Would be in Florida

Advertisement
He could very well spend some time in jail for this. Also, his parents are going to be sued by the ref and his family. Kid can kiss ANY scholarships or offers goodbye. He might get a walk on at some last chance judo some day, but basically he is toast.
I can see this happening. Walk on at local college 30 miles from home will help him and still allow him to grow. Mandatory self control/anger mgmt as well, with a short leash of little to zero hiccups. You won't make it far as an adult if you have little to no self control. If you consistently act like an uncontrollable person then they'll lock you down, stick you on a bus, and drive you to a place where those that have proven to be uncontrollable reside.....and he surely doesn't want that. Hope the young man gets the help he needs and doesn't just get thrown away/to the wolves.

Advertisement

Sportswriters need to watch more WWE. That was shoulder check, not a body slam. This is a body slam.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Yes, from a legal standpoint. From a real life standpoint its a mistake made by a teenager whose life is likely always under a spotlight.

In my opinion, a bigger mistake would be made if that refs decided to press charges. (assuming there's not some major back story to this kid).

Keep in mind my comments were made more so in response to the lynch mob that formed on page one of this thread than to the on-field act itself.

The ref needs to press charges.

This kid needs to be made an example out of to prevent other kids from feeling the freedom to do the same thing. This slap on the wrist crap gives idiots freedom to feel they can do whatever they want with ZERO consequences.

He cost his team a chance to play in the championship game. They have withdrawn from the playoffs. Second time offender as he something similar in wrestling. Needs to be dismissed from all HS sports. No college should take a chance on him.

He cost his team a chance to play in the championship game. They have withdrawn from the playoffs. Second time offender as he something similar in wrestling. Needs to be dismissed from all HS sports. No college should take a chance on him.

If he was punished the first time maybe this wouldn't have happened.....and therein lies the problem. We have become too lenient as a society. We cannot condone senseless acts of violence. The only debatable piece is the severity of punishment.

You can't allow a parent to beat up a coach over a meaningless little league baseball game. You can't allow soccer players to sucker punch a ref for a yellow card. You can't allow HS kids running full speed and knocking refs to the ground. It's absurd. This is assault and no different than punching a cashier at a grocery store for saying you can't use that coupon or a store clerk saying you can't shop there because you aren't wearing a shirt.

I dont know about that. The common sense result is a public apology, a one on one apology and some anger management sessions and you move forward in life. No need to overhype it. Its a teenage kid who F'ed up on camera.
This is a kid who attacked an adult and a referee. As much as it's overhyped on the first page you're now under hyping it. An apology is not enough of a lesson imo. Chincy timeouts are why he thinks this type of behavior is acceptable. If this isn't the first time he's done something like this it's time for an actual punishment or he'll continue to think these types of outbursts are acceptable. Maybe anger management for a first offense but now there needs to be consequences and repercussions.

Advertisement
Back