Texas and Urban

i'm fairly certain that every coach of the cowboys in the jones era, including jimmy, hated their job.

If I'm not mistaken, every college coach Jones hired was making his NFL debut and had something to prove. Meyers been there, got the t-shirt. This would just be cashing a check.

Advertisement
YOu missed the point....talking about bad coaching/hires and laziness. That has been the problem since the hiring of coker and its still going on

jeff dunham images GIF

Isn't that what literally every program that isn't successful has in common? You might as well say that Texas and Miami have had similar problems because both teams have players that wear helmets.

Isn't that what literally every program that isn't successful has in common? You might as well say that Texas and Miami have had similar problems because both teams have players that wear helmets.
Really? Every team has bad hirings? Laziness within the program starting at the top. for almost 20 years in a row and still going

Really? Every team has bad hirings? Laziness within the program starting at the top. for almost 20 years in a row and still going

Tom Herman was the hottest name in CFB. Everyone thought he'd kill it at Texas. You think he was a lazy hire? Signing a fired HC because he was a former player and hiring back your DC after an 8 hr coaching search is lazy hiring. Going out and hiring the most in demand young coach and paying him 6 million per year is not lazy hiring. It may not be working out but it was in no way, shape, or form a lazy hiring decision.

Advertisement
I don’t understand the Texas lazy hires, they can more than any team in CFB

I don’t understand the Texas lazy hires, they can more than any team in CFB

I think you are equating lack of success with lazy hiring. They are not the same thing.

Let's suppose Meyer goes to Texas, but it turns out that much like Richt, at this point in his career he was mostly there to collect a paycheck and doesn't win a championship and just retires 50 million dollars richer. Are you going to say it was a lazy hire?

Advertisement
Love him or hate him, the man is a competitor. I respect that although I don't like him. I just can't see him wasting away his prime years doing tv. I think he's back somewhere soon.

How can you respect someone who freely lets people suspected or murder on there team, freely let’s criminals play on their team, etc

serious question

Brethren; not only could I not ever imagine it, what hurts the most is seeing fans here become lulled by it. Accepting it; embracing it, justifying it.

When I see a BOT member say, ‘Just remember E before W’, it feels like I’m in a twilight zone. That’s y I started watching CFB, in whole, b/c I thought football changed. Then I realized after stepping out my little Hurricane Bubble that, no it’s us that’s OK with collecting checks & living off the past v. progressing. It hurts me so much; and it angers me even more.
I still cringe at that comment.

It was ******* Suntan U before the football team made the place relevant. Have some respect.

How can you respect someone who freely lets people suspected or murder on there team, freely let’s criminals play on their team, etc

serious question

Because he wins football games and championships, and for some, that's all that matters. That's why so many people (even on this forum) still love ol' Joe Paterno.

Advertisement

serious question

What part of my post suggested a respect for anything other than his competitive demeanor? Serious question.

Urb is a coach of the elite tier. That dude strikes gold wherever he goes. It’s in shambles after he leaves but it’s pumping while he’s there.
Huh?

OSU is still humming...

What sanctions destroyed Utah??

Florida never even got sanctions but was just destroyed due to bad coaching hires more than anything??

stupid brainless narratives

serious question

Man America don't give two squirrel farts about morality. Victors get to write history. Under that thin vail of America Morality is a blood savage willing to do anything to win. Most on here would give up their left nut if would gurantee a championship.

Advertisement
Man America don't give two squirrel farts about morality. Victors get to write history. Under that thin vail of America Morality is a blood savage willing to do anything to win. Most on here would give up their left nut if would gurantee a championship.

glad to know you would have Joe Paterno as your coach

It would be good for college football if he went to Texas and put them back on the map. Most people are sick of the college football oligopoly — Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State

never understood this Texas is probably the most overrated school in the history of CFB. The sports goes on without them being elite.

Huh?

OSU is still humming...

What sanctions destroyed Utah??

Florida never even got sanctions but was just destroyed due to bad coaching hires more than anything??

stupid brainless narratives

When you have enough money, any program can make problems disappear quickly. You are right that whatever negative impacts are short lived.

But the difference between Urb to UT compared to Urb to OSU or UF is that each program had been successful up to about 3 years before he was hired. UF had a natty in 1996 and rolled off a bunch of 10 win seasons. Zook got the job because Spurrier was so successful running that program he left for the NFL. Zook got hired and fired quickly, meaning Urb took over solid program. It pains me to complement UF but they didn't hesitate to cut bait early with Zook. If Miami had fired Coker 3 years after hiring him (so 2004) and hired Meyer would you say Meyer had a huge reclamation project ahead of him? Probably not.

At OSU, Urban took over a 12 win OSU team. Come on now. They didn't need much help.

Cant argue that he didn't turn Utah (a MWC team) and Bowling Green (FCS?) around but the narrative that he's gone around fixing broken programs is a bit overblown. Texas is a huge mess. He hasn't dealt with anything like that since Utah in 2003. I don't doubt he's capable of winning there, but I question whether he's willing to put up with the endless bullish!t of boosters and politics at his age and health.

Like I said, I think USC is a much better job. I can see him wanting to coach again some place with a friendly media (he'd own LA), lots of $$$, and no one to answer to. He's going to have a lot of boosters expecting back rubs at Texas.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back