Texas and Urban

What an awful take...

OSU similarly had been a decade since their last natty appearance in 02 when urban showed up and again STALE under achiever relative to talent and expectations

If anything Florida is a pretty **** good example of a similar situation where he moved the mark of a perennial underachiever..... see a theme?

Texas won a natty last in 05 and last played in one in 09.... pretty recent... Toss in the fact that Texas is legit one of the richest schools they can give urban whatever he wants in the name of being “back”

No, what you wrote is an awful take. OSU posted double digit wins every season since 2005, right up to hiring Meyer. He stepped into a very good program that just won 12 games.

When Spurrier left UF in 2001, they were ranked #3. Then they finished ranked #24, #24, #25 and Zook got fired before the end of his 3rd season. They were still a top 25 team the entire time Zook was there and he didn’t even make it a full 3 years. That means there were still players from that #3 team still on the roster. You are insane if you think that anyone believes Spurrier at UF or Tressel at OSU were underachievers.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2005 and 2009 Texas teams were the first since 1971 to play for the national title. Given the resources, that is terrible. 2 title games in 50 years? By comparison, I think Miami played in 7 title games in 40 years.

I'm not knocking Meyer or saying he can't win there. The dude is one of the best of all time. What I'm saying is that to have that much money and not have 5 or 6 titles or even more championship appearances in 50 years means the program has issues it looks like money hasn't been able to permanently fix. Of course Meyer CAN succeed there. But as has been said many, many times a HC at Texas has to spend half his time kissing the asses of boosters. Everyone knows this. Meyer doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to spend the next few years under the thumb of billionaire big shots at this point of his life. Now I haven't met the guy personally so I could be wrong, but he seems like a dude with a pretty big ego.

Anyways it's going to be easy to figure out which one of us is right. We'll see if takes the job or not.

BTW, the rumors are that if Meyer turns it down, then Texas will make a huge pitch for Dan Mullen. That would be delightful for recruiting, don't you think?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Notice it says they flew to meet with him, not the other way around. If he does go, expect a record breaking contract.
Someone pretty close to me worked with Urban at Ohio State and there is absolutely zero chance of Meyer going to Austin
Football doesn't get credit for improving academics. Tad Foote gets a lot of credit for that
Foote also helped push Jimmy out the door and along with prop 48 and him clamping down on who Dennis could bring to Coral Gables changed UM football recruiting took a hit. I know some of the experts here say Dennis got lazy, Thad had handcuffs on the program and was looking to make Miami the Harvard of the south. Sam and Jimmy knew Thad’s m-o.

Someone pretty close to me worked with Urban at Ohio State and there is absolutely zero chance of Meyer going to Austin

Foote also helped push Jimmy out the door and along with prop 48 and him clamping down on who Dennis could bring to Coral Gables changed UM football recruiting took a hit. I know some of the experts here say Dennis got lazy, Thad had handcuffs on the program and was looking to make Miami the Harvard of the south. Sam and Jimmy knew Thad’s m-o.
Foote was all about academics. And to his credit, he was successful compared to his predecessors. He felt embarrassed by football's "Thug U" reputation. Jimmy capitalized on it.

L
Foote was all about academics. And to his credit, he was successful compared to his predecessors. He felt embarrassed by football's "Thug U" reputation. Jimmy capitalized on it.
Most of The media and a good part of America did not like that what they were seeing, a team of mostly inner city kids taking over a sport dominated for decades by thee traditional powers. The country wasn’t ready for what the Canes brought and after the Cotton Bowl it was all over. UM is more responsible for changing the landscape of modern college football than any school in the country. Way ahead of the rest.

Advertisement
Advertisement
kelly isn't an elite coach. urban would make texas respectable in a season and in contention for the playoffs in 2-3 years. i hate the guy but the only college coach better than him is saban.

Kelly is also a terrible recruiting HC. Unless he has stud assistants on staff to do it for him, kids don't jump at the opportunity to play for him.

Advertisement
I’m hoping Franklins own agent is pumping this rumor to try and get some heat off his client
What do you mean? Are you suggesting that those big money Texas boosters don’t really want the guy that got PSU off to its worst start in program history this season?

Advertisement
Back