Texas and Urban

Tom Herman was the hottest name in CFB. Everyone thought he'd kill it at Texas. You think he was a lazy hire? Signing a fired HC because he was a former player and hiring back your DC after an 8 hr coaching search is lazy hiring. Going out and hiring the most in demand young coach and paying him 6 million per year is not lazy hiring. It may not be working out but it was in no way, shape, or form a lazy hiring decision.
As terrible as a 5-3 record is, Texas is very, very close to being 8-0 and being a contender for the playoffs. Two of the losses were in OT, the last loss came off of a missed FG that their normally very reliable kicker could have made. UT is significantly better under Herman than it was in Charlie Strong's last year. The program was at a nadir.

Advertisement
glad to know you would have Joe Paterno as your coach

Where in that post did I agree to that sentiment. I am just telling you how it is. Doing it the the right way mean going through the process. People don't have time for the process.

Joe Paterno covering up sexually assault of young boys has nothing to with football, that's is just perversion. Now covering up your football players sexually assaulting people (IE: Baylor) is different story.

I think you are equating lack of success with lazy hiring. They are not the same thing.

Let's suppose Meyer goes to Texas, but it turns out that much like Richt, at this point in his career he was mostly there to collect a paycheck and doesn't win a championship and just retires 50 million dollars richer. Are you going to say it was a lazy hire?
No, that would not be a lazy hire, what im saying is, Texas has the dollars to get a big name coach even from the nfl, like a top coordinator

Where in that post did I agree to that sentiment. I am just telling you how it is. Doing it the the right way mean going through the process. People don't have time for the process.

Joe Paterno covering up sexually assault of young boys has nothing to with football, that's is just perversion. Now covering up your football players sexually assaulting people (IE: Baylor) is different story.

My bad read it wrong

As terrible as a 5-3 record is, Texas is very, very close to being 8-0 and being a contender for the playoffs. Two of the losses were in OT, the last loss came off of a missed FG that their normally very reliable kicker could have made. UT is significantly better under Herman than it was in Charlie Strong's last year. The program was at a nadir.

Possibly true, but I don't remember anyone giving Manny Diaz the benefit of the doubt when the team was a few bad kicks away from being a 9 win team last year. And this year fans argue he hasn't fixed any of the underlying problems because we are an ugly 7-1. And 5-3 to 8-0 is not close to being a playoff team IMO. If that's the case then Miami at 7-1 is knocking on the door of a national championship.

Advertisement
Possibly true, but I don't remember anyone giving Manny Diaz the benefit of the doubt when the team was a few bad kicks away from being a 9 win team last year. And this year fans argue he hasn't fixed any of the underlying problems because we are an ugly 7-1. And 5-3 to 8-0 is not close to being a playoff team IMO. If that's the case then Miami at 7-1 is knocking on the door of a national championship.
Miami at 7-1 is one Clemson loss from the ACCCG. One win against ND and we're in the playoffs and then all bets are off. No, I'm not saying we're a contender but it is what it is. VT could put us in the ACCCG this weekend. ND is #2 in the country with a 12-7 win against Louisville who we dominated.

It would be good for college football if he went to Texas and put them back on the map. Most people are sick of the college football oligopoly — Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State
Fvvk Bama, Clemson, Taint st. and urban
jacqueline bisset insult GIF

Kind of. Texas has more - much more - blue-blood support than Miami. An 8-0 Texas that skated by with narrow OT wins against Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Texas Tech would probably be ranked fourth right now in the CFP standings.

To take the differing view from what I previously posted, Texas has had the same overall problems for two years running. Their offense can generally score, but their defense is getting blasted by teams that they should be beating. The talent level at Texas is has high as it has been in probably eight years, but the Longhorns are not showing anything more than incremental improvement in Year 4. And the fanbase here in Austin has grown quite weary.

It's a bit different from Diaz, who inherited serious structural issues on offense last year. Expectations were for a rebound versus 2018 and the off-season hype was sky high (at least for me until reports came out about how poorly the offense was doing in that August scrimmage), but no one was realistically expecting a national title appearance. A lot of people in Austin thought Texas was a NC contender in 2019, based on the progress they had made the previous year.

Advertisement
A big middle finger to every one of you that actually wants that scumbag anywhere near campus.

I don't want that s#!tstain on my diploma.

Also it's never, ever, ever, ever gonna happen. But half of you still think we had a legit shot at Jon Gruden.

I'm for anything that challenges BAMA and CLEMSON from being champions every other year. Texas need to back to being Texas like Miami need to get back to being THE U.

Cook.
Why do u feel that?

Imo, he’ll have uber success. Texas has more money than God; they have just as fertile of a natural recruiting landscape as Florida. Outstanding, OUTSTANDING facilities. And he’s got the cache to pull any elite kid from The West to The East. Urban to Texas, USC, or Miami would be absolutely sick.

Why do u think opposite?
The guy's loathsome, but he wins everywhere he's been. And he'd win at Texas too.

Advertisement
When you have enough money, any program can make problems disappear quickly. You are right that whatever negative impacts are short lived.

But the difference between Urb to UT compared to Urb to OSU or UF is that each program had been successful up to about 3 years before he was hired. UF had a natty in 1996 and rolled off a bunch of 10 win seasons. Zook got the job because Spurrier was so successful running that program he left for the NFL. Zook got hired and fired quickly, meaning Urb took over solid program. It pains me to complement UF but they didn't hesitate to cut bait early with Zook. If Miami had fired Coker 3 years after hiring him (so 2004) and hired Meyer would you say Meyer had a huge reclamation project ahead of him? Probably not.

At OSU, Urban took over a 12 win OSU team. Come on now. They didn't need much help.

Cant argue that he didn't turn Utah (a MWC team) and Bowling Green (FCS?) around but the narrative that he's gone around fixing broken programs is a bit overblown. Texas is a huge mess. He hasn't dealt with anything like that since Utah in 2003. I don't doubt he's capable of winning there, but I question whether he's willing to put up with the endless bullish!t of boosters and politics at his age and health.

Like I said, I think USC is a much better job. I can see him wanting to coach again some place with a friendly media (he'd own LA), lots of $$$, and no one to answer to. He's going to have a lot of boosters expecting back rubs at Texas.
I agree w u; however, being that I’m in SC country, and I had to endure SC fans during the Carroll years, I do not want that to happen! Lol

Advertisement
And, usually not even in the conversation. But Michigan is on their own private island when it comes to that. The popular conception of Michigan as some sort of juggernaut makes no sense given the record.

You know how fans say that without King Miami is 3-4 this year? Without once in a generation QB Vince Young, Texas has 0 titles in 50 years despite have the most resources of any program, by far. Clemson is a cheap program compared to Texas.

I don't know how anyone sees that and doesn't realize that there is something structurally wrong there.

A long time ago when I was living/working in Hawaii, I met a gal from a different department in the company. We hit it off immediately. We were about same age - 30. This chick checked all the boxes- smart, attractive, funny and rich. Great in the sack too. What a catch, right? I was thinking of getting serious when she happened to mention that she'd been married 3 times. Big red flag. Checks all the boxes but 30 years old and 3 divorces? That told me that there was likely some craziness lurking there that I hadn't yet been privy to. That's Texas. From the outside it looks like the perfect job that checks all the boxes, but when it goes that long without a championship, you have to suspect there is some bad juju going on there.

When you have enough money, any program can make problems disappear quickly. You are right that whatever negative impacts are short lived.

But the difference between Urb to UT compared to Urb to OSU or UF is that each program had been successful up to about 3 years before he was hired. UF had a natty in 1996 and rolled off a bunch of 10 win seasons. Zook got the job because Spurrier was so successful running that program he left for the NFL. Zook got hired and fired quickly, meaning Urb took over solid program. It pains me to complement UF but they didn't hesitate to cut bait early with Zook. If Miami had fired Coker 3 years after hiring him (so 2004) and hired Meyer would you say Meyer had a huge reclamation project ahead of him? Probably not.

At OSU, Urban took over a 12 win OSU team. Come on now. They didn't need much help.

Cant argue that he didn't turn Utah (a MWC team) and Bowling Green (FCS?) around but the narrative that he's gone around fixing broken programs is a bit overblown. Texas is a huge mess. He hasn't dealt with anything like that since Utah in 2003. I don't doubt he's capable of winning there, but I question whether he's willing to put up with the endless bullish!t of boosters and politics at his age and health.

Like I said, I think USC is a much better job. I can see him wanting to coach again some place with a friendly media (he'd own LA), lots of $$$, and no one to answer to. He's going to have a lot of boosters expecting back rubs at Texas.
What an awful take...

OSU similarly had been a decade since their last natty appearance in 02 when urban showed up and again STALE under achiever relative to talent and expectations

If anything Florida is a pretty **** good example of a similar situation where he moved the mark of a perennial underachiever..... see a theme?

Texas won a natty last in 05 and last played in one in 09.... pretty recent... Toss in the fact that Texas is legit one of the richest schools they can give urban whatever he wants in the name of being “back”

How is an elite coach going to a team other than Miami good for Miami?

**** him and them

Advertisement
Back