Terrell Chatman commits

I personally like the kids film but if the gator is correct the last time we got a kid that Lsu passed he was a bust. They are great with there evals and they are proven, and I'm not talking about do bard that kid is a beast.

This concerns me.

The mod on the LSU 247 site said that he struggled catching the ball and wasn't getting separation from DBs at their camp. LSU didn't really push for him after that showing. I watched his film again and he does seem to get tackled alot. The competition he's facing also seems to be 'suspect'.

I'll trust the guy who has seen the kid multiple times over the guy who said Olsen was the "savior."

Advertisement
I personally like the kids film but if the gator is correct the last time we got a kid that Lsu passed he was a bust. They are great with there evals and they are proven, and I'm not talking about do bard that kid is a beast.

This concerns me.

The mod on the LSU 247 site said that he struggled catching the ball and wasn't getting separation from DBs at their camp. LSU didn't really push for him after that showing. I watched his film again and he does seem to get tackled alot. The competition he's facing also seems to be 'suspect'.

I'll trust the guy who has seen the kid multiple times over the guy who said Olsen was the "savior."

I don't care who you trust. How many of Golden's camp offers have worked out so far? Alot of these are no longer on the team after being evaluated in person. so please chill with the homer talk.

This concerns me.

I don't care who you trust. How many of Golden's camp offers have worked out so far? Alot of these are no longer on the team after being evaluated in person. so please chill with the homer talk.

Chatman wasn't a camp offer. So please chill with the message board BS storyline.

I don't love the take personally. I like his hands but he doesn't wow me as an athlete. We already have two Big WR's committed this class with Spence and Gossier and I think both are better than Chatman. Including Njoku and Brady from last class, that's 4 WR's that are over 6'3. Where does that leave Devante Peete? I'd rather see us either 1. wait on Peete or 2. take smaller, more explosive WR.

This concerns me.

Chatman wasn't a camp offer. So please chill with the message board BS storyline.

camp has nothing to do with it. its in reference to that posters "I'll trust the guy who has seen the kid many times" comment. So who's doing the evaluating? could be wrong but I assume he's referring to Golden...and Golden, as we have seen in the past, isn't immune to mistakes.

Advertisement
Really surprised to see people questioning Chatman's athleticism, which jumps off the screen (IMO) in high-pointing situations. His body control and ability to attack the ball at its highest point are extremely impressive.

An article published by The Advocate last week mentioned that he has a 40" vertical and is running in the 4.5s. The physical tools, athletic ability, and potential are very appealing. And one poor camp performance doesn't sour me at all on a recruit this talented.

Chatman caught 23 passes on just 30 targets last season while playing behind two other top receivers and missing part of the year with a separated shoulder. He looks like a prime breakout candidate to me. Out of all the three-star commits we currently have for this class in 247's ratings, he's the one I'd feel most comfortable betting on taking a big leap in his senior season and boosting his ranking.

Chatman is clearly the best receiver who's committed thus far for 2015, IMO. But different strokes for different folks, I guess. Very happy that he committed yesterday.

This concerns me.

camp has nothing to do with it. its in reference to that posters "I'll trust the guy who has seen the kid many times" comment. So who's doing the evaluating? could be wrong but I assume he's referring to Golden...and Golden, as we have seen in the past, isn't immune to mistakes.

No coach is immune to mistakes and all players get evaluated closely. Whether they earn an offer at a Miami camp or they're a consensus 4-star recruit. He could be dead wrong on Chad Thomas too. Once you're on the roster your status in recruiting and how you got your offer means nothing.

Last edited:
Really surprised to see people questioning Chatman's athleticism, which jumps off the screen (IMO) in high-pointing situations. His body control and ability to attack the ball at its highest point are extremely impressive.

An article published by The Advocate last week mentioned that he has a 40" vertical and is running in the 4.5s. The physical tools, athletic ability, and potential are very appealing. And one poor camp performance doesn't sour me at all on a recruit this talented.

Chatman caught 23 passes on just 30 targets last season while playing behind two other top receivers and missing part of the year with a separated shoulder. He looks like a prime breakout candidate to me. Out of all the three-star commits we currently have for this class in 247's ratings, he's the one I'd feel most comfortable betting on taking a big leap in his senior season and boosting his ranking.

Chatman is clearly the best receiver who's committed thus far for 2015, IMO. But different strokes for different folks, I guess. Very happy that he committed yesterday.

Aldarius Johnson and Laron Byrd were said to have 4.5 speed too.

Saying Chatman is the best committed WR isn't saying much. Him and Spence seem like similar possession types while Gosier has the higher ceiling with with size and athleticism.

All 3, are developmental prospects.

This concerns me.

I have criticized Golden for his failures on this board as much as anyone else. Definitely not a homer. If you can't tell by the kid's tape that he has a high ceiling, then I don't know what to tell you. We'll agree to disagree.

Advertisement
Irvin Charles is a better prospect then this kid IMO (that's not a knock on Chatman just prefer Charles) and we gotta wait on Peete kid reminds me of Kelvin Benjamin who dominated defenses last year. we are getting seriously height heavy here with these receivers but Peete is the best possession receiver on our board IMO

Saying Chatman is the best committed WR isn't saying much. Him and Spence seem like similar possession types while Gosier has the higher ceiling with with size and athleticism.

Chatman ran a 4.62 laser-time 40 at a Sparq event in February 2013. Improving that time by a few hundredths of a second in roughly 17 months is well within the realm of possibility. I didn't follow recruiting when Johnson or Byrd were here, so I can't even comment on how dramatically their supposed, likely non-laser 40 times differed from their play speed. But I don't really question Chatman's based on the limited highlights that are available.

I also don't see Chatman being limited to a possession role with his athletic potential, but we'll agree to disagree on that. He's definitely a developmental talent, though, so there's no disagreement there.

And no one has been more vocally critical than me on this board about our in-state misses with elite receivers in 2014 and thus far in 2015. I'd feel much better if Chatman wasn't our best current WR commit and we landed someone of Ridley or Cain's caliber to headline the group. But for now, I'm happy to have him and hope we're able to upgrade at least one other receiver spot. Failing to land an elite in-state recruit at the position for the second year in a row would be very frustrating.

Last edited:

I actually think Chatman is comparable to Byrd. Big WR out of Lousiana who looks to have good hands but lacks elite athleticism and an LSU offer.

Advertisement
The WR group in Louisiana is DEEP this year. Just like the DB group in Florida is deep. A lot of good players aren't getting offers from Miami because the talent pool is too good.

Advertisement
Chatman reminds me of another Louisiana WR that wore 87 for The U who turned out to have a really good college career and IMO will walk into the pro football hall of fame some day.

Chatman reminds me of another Louisiana WR that wore 87 for The U who turned out to have a really good college career and IMO will walk into the pro football hall of fame some day.

YA BLIND TO THE TROOF THIS CAT WILL NOT PLAY HERE

Oh good. Comparing a wide receiver to Reggie Wayne. Glad to see we are setting realistic expectations.

Last edited:
Tom Luginbill from Espn take on Chatman:

The Hurricanes have picked up ESPN 300 wide receiver Terrell Chatman. Read on to see what the Baton Rouge, Louisiana, native can add to Miami's attack:

What he brings: Chatman shows rubber band-like flexibility as an athlete. Possesses terrific height on a loose but very slender frame. He's a run-and-catch guy. At his best once he's down field and the ball is thrown up. It doesn't matter if he's covered. Absolutely catches everything thrown within his area code. Makes the acrobatic grab look routine and does this on a consistent basis. He is a playmaker when the ball is in the air.

How he fits: He is an outside red zone, jump-ball guy for Miami and will provide somewhat of a vertical threat due to his size, flexibility, body control and ball skills, but is not going to be the run-after-catch guy like many of their other current targets in terms of speed and make-you-miss ability. With further added bulk and strength he could be a nice complement in the slot as well. We see Chatman as an outside receiving threat.

Reminds us of: Cameron Sims, Alabama. Ball skills and lanky, flexible movements are what make both Chatman and Sims so dangerous when the ball is thrown up. These are the type of guys who can contort their bodies while elevated to adjust to contested matchups when covered and come down with the spectacular catch and think it is no big deal.

Advertisement
Back