Terrell Brooks

Lots of experts here.

Amazing some of you haven't tried to turn your expertise into a recruiting analyst job or a coaching position.

Advertisement
My thoughts exactly. People forget that The Plug was actually pretty good in his first year.

We should have higher standards than The Plug. DT's arguably the most important position on the field after QB, and it's the one position on the roster where we haven't upgraded significantly from Shannon's tenure.

Jethro isn't just the DT coach. His/staff recruiting at DE has been good. McCord, Hamilton, Muhammad and Bond the last two seasons.

That's a pretty good list. I'm discussing DTs at the moment.

Maybe we should give Al&Co till NSD to sign his class before we get upset about it.

This kid would be a pretty underwhelming pickup at DT (again!), and I can't imagine we'd do all that Kirkland BS just to get this kid's signature.

I'll trust Golden.

Me too. I bet these dudes would have been sour if King Don signed Mo Wilkerson while he was at UM too. I think he was a 2 star kid with no offers coming out of HS.

With these big dudes, you just don't know for sure. Many of the really good ones started out as lower level recruits. They need to be big strong dudes with motors who can move people around and who don't quit developing at age 18. Some of these HS Harry wonderkinds flame out because they peak too early and don't have the fortitude or will to work once they get to college. It's a really tough position to recruit.

Take a look at Big O Pierre. That crazy Frenchman is going to develop into a 1st or 2nd rounder. He came in here as a lowly slug that most guys on the board wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole.

He was a 2 star coming out of high school signed with North Texas didnt make it in

I'd love to know where Cortez Kennedy was rated coming out of HS. I followed recruiting pretty closely back then, subscribed to all the newsletters, and honestly, I knew nothing about him when we got him out of junior college. It could be he was a good prospect coming out of HS, but I overlooked him. I had never heard of him or read about him. All I knew is, this overweight DT arrived in school for the '88 season. I used to see him playing a bit as a backup. I used to hear that the coaches tell him he could be a stud if he lost weight. Well, the next year, he was the best DT in college football.

For all I know, he wasn't even rated coming out of HS. And I have no idea if he signed with anybody before going Juco.

You never know...

Our 80's and 90's teams were filled with guys like that.
Guys like the Tez, Sapp, Maryland and one of my personal favorites Winston Moss, who I remember from high school at Southridge as a pretty decent trumpet player and who turned out to be a **** good lb in college and the pros.

Advertisement
My thoughts exactly. People forget that The Plug was actually pretty good in his first year.

We should have higher standards than The Plug. DT's arguably the most important position on the field after QB, and it's the one position on the roster where we haven't upgraded significantly from Shannon's tenure.

Darius T1ts is dreadful. And I doubt that the corches see Brooks as another Darius T1ts. They signed that dude at the last minute because they got here so late in the game, and no one was left. They didn't even play the guy the last several games of last season once Porter got in shape.

Jethro isn't just the DT coach. His/staff recruiting at DE has been good. McCord, Hamilton, Muhammad and Bond the last two seasons.

Maybe we should give Al&Co till NSD to sign his class before we get upset about it.

Being grouchy is just part of my life, but I did specify that there are 3.5 days left.

Advertisement

Being grouchy is just part of my life, but I did specify that there are 3.5 days left.

Oh okay, try and remain calm.

Darius T1ts is dreadful. And I doubt that the corches see Brooks as another Darius T1ts. They signed that dude at the last minute because they got here so late in the game, and no one was left. They didn't even play the guy the last several games of last season once Porter got in shape.

I agree, and I gave them a huge pass at DT in year 1. In year 2, I got a bit miffed. I realize they're young, but I don't see a lot of upside in either Moore or Ivory, though I could see them both becoming serviceable. This is year 3. It's time to land the war daddies. The guys who we could go into a national championship game against Bama in 2016 and feel comfortable with. It's the one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen Al figure out yet.

Last edited:

Well, I don't know how to say this without being offensive, but just ignore me if it keeps you happier in life. I won't be offended. I'm commenting on things as we go.

Advertisement

Well, I don't know how to say this without being offensive, but just ignore me if it keeps you happier in life. I won't be offended. I'm commenting on things as we go.

Mrs. Franklin is very offended.

Advertisement
If the guy is 6'5 320, plays DT, does not walk knock-kneed or pigeon toe'd and Bill Snyder is interested we have to give it a shot. Cant be any worse then some of the guys we trotted out there last year. Sheesh.

Mrs. Franklin is very offended.

You named your son Jethro, you got bigger problems than me. Focus on the important things first.

Art Briles, Bill Snyder and Al Golden want this kid. That's all I needed to know.

There is literally not a more enthusiastic Art Briles fan in the country than me, but DT evaluation is not his forte.

Slight threadjack..but Swag just got me some Baylor game film from RGIII sr year....it's like football ****.

The guy is unreal. I saw him play in high school and would not, in a million years, projected him to end up that good. Art is a f'ing wizard. If I had a son that played QB, he wouldn't be allowed to sign anywhere else.

I agree, and I gave them a huge pass at DT in year 1. In year 2, I got a bit miffed. I realize they're young, but I don't see a lot of upside in either Moore or Ivory, though I could see them both becoming serviceable. This is year 3. It's time to land the war daddies. The guys who we could go into a national championship game against Bama in 2015 and feel comfortable with. It's the one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen Al figure out yet.

I refuse to judge a DT until year 3. Moore's a fugging bull in a china shop, and Ivory's got skills. They're both just too **** young and physically immature. That's why I can't get too excited about *****. I know everyone wants him because he's a highly rated recruit, but the dude will need a major shift in attitude to get it done at this level. Does he have that beastliness inside him necessary to excel at this level? I don't know. He actually looked worse as a senior than he did as a junior. Not a great sign.

So, while guys are bemoaning the potential loss of Big *****, I'm going to sit back and trust the guys who are a lot more acquainted with the character of these dudes than I am because I think that's a MAJOR component in recruiting the strength positions.

Hang in there, Swag. You're a vet. Either you trust Al to get it done and pick the right dudes and them, more importantly, develop them, or you don't. Give the young bucks some time. Takes more than a year to be a great DT or OL.

Advertisement
Back