Terrell Brooks

I'll trust Golden.

Me too. I bet these dudes would have been sour if King Don signed Mo Wilkerson while he was at UM too. I think he was a 2 star kid with no offers coming out of HS.

With these big dudes, you just don't know for sure. Many of the really good ones started out as lower level recruits. They need to be big strong dudes with motors who can move people around and who don't quit developing at age 18. Some of these HS Harry wonderkinds flame out because they peak too early and don't have the fortitude or will to work once they get to college. It's a really tough position to recruit.

Take a look at Big O Pierre. That crazy Frenchman is going to develop into a 1st or 2nd rounder. He came in here as a lowly slug that most guys on the board wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole.

I don't really like you that much because you are abrasive but you do make good points.
This coaching staff seems to do a ton of research on every kid they offer. They don't just get the Rivals 250 and blanket offer everyone.
They meet them, probably do some serious background research, and if at all possible seem to only offer recruits who they have seen/worked out in person. Our coaches also seem to not give a **** about star ratings and trust their own rating system the recruiting websites be damned.

Pierre is a good reference as is Eddie Johnson.
Golden's 1st year class is irrelevant as he had a couple year's worth of work to do in only weeks.
Last year and this year are the measuring sticks so far, and judging from last year, our coaches have a serious eye for talent.

I'm good with anyone Golden offers who accepts whether they are a 5 star or a no star.

Advertisement
My thoughts exactly. People forget that The Plug was actually pretty good in his first year.

We should have higher standards than The Plug. DT's arguably the most important position on the field after QB, and it's the one position on the roster where we haven't upgraded significantly from Shannon's tenure.

Darius T1ts is dreadful. And I doubt that the corches see Brooks as another Darius T1ts. They signed that dude at the last minute because they got here so late in the game, and no one was left. They didn't even play the guy the last several games of last season once Porter got in shape.

I agree, and I gave them a huge pass at DT in year 1. In year 2, I got a bit miffed. I realize they're young, but I don't see a lot of upside in either Moore or Ivory, though I could see them both becoming serviceable. This is year 3. It's time to land the war daddies. The guys who we could go into a national championship game against Bama in 2015 and feel comfortable with. It's the one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen Al figure out yet.

I refuse to judge a DT until year 3. Moore's a fugging bull in a china shop, and Ivory's got skills. They're both just too **** young and physically immature. That's why I can't get too excited about *****. I know everyone wants him because he's a highly rated recruit, but the dude will need a major shift in attitude to get it done at this level. Does he have that beastliness inside him necessary to excel at this level? I don't know. He actually looked worse as a senior than he did as a junior. Not a great sign.

So, while guys are bemoaning the potential loss of Big *****, I'm going to sit back and trust the guys who are a lot more acquainted with the character of these dudes than I am because I think that's a MAJOR component in recruiting the strength positions.

Hang in there, Swag. You're a vet. Either you trust Al to get it done and pick the right dudes and them, more importantly, develop them, or you don't. Give the young bucks some time. Takes more than a year to be a great DT or OL.

So Chise you aren'tlabeling guys busts after 1 season? That is a novel idea!

Being grouchy is just part of my life, but I did specify that there are 3.5 days left.

Oh okay, try and remain calm.

Well, I don't know how to say this without being offensive, but just ignore me if it keeps you happier in life. I won't be offended. I'm commenting on things as we go.

Mrs. Franklin is very offended.

You named your son Jethro, you got bigger problems than me. Focus on the important things first.

Duly noted. By the way, since you don't understand, signing a 2013 JUCO has nothing to do with Bostwick and or Bryant. We will get our studs, give it 3.5 days. I just think one of them has his head very far up his *** (Bryant).

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. People forget that The Plug was actually pretty good in his first year.

We should have higher standards than The Plug. DT's arguably the most important position on the field after QB, and it's the one position on the roster where we haven't upgraded significantly from Shannon's tenure.

Darius T1ts is dreadful. And I doubt that the corches see Brooks as another Darius T1ts. They signed that dude at the last minute because they got here so late in the game, and no one was left. They didn't even play the guy the last several games of last season once Porter got in shape.

I agree, and I gave them a huge pass at DT in year 1. In year 2, I got a bit miffed. I realize they're young, but I don't see a lot of upside in either Moore or Ivory, though I could see them both becoming serviceable. This is year 3. It's time to land the war daddies. The guys who we could go into a national championship game against Bama in 2015 and feel comfortable with. It's the one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen Al figure out yet.

I refuse to judge a DT until year 3. Moore's a fugging bull in a china shop, and Ivory's got skills. They're both just too **** young and physically immature. That's why I can't get too excited about *****. I know everyone wants him because he's a highly rated recruit, but the dude will need a major shift in attitude to get it done at this level. Does he have that beastliness inside him necessary to excel at this level? I don't know. He actually looked worse as a senior than he did as a junior. Not a great sign.

So, while guys are bemoaning the potential loss of Big *****, I'm going to sit back and trust the guys who are a lot more acquainted with the character of these dudes than I am because I think that's a MAJOR component in recruiting the strength positions.

Hang in there, Swag. You're a vet. Either you trust Al to get it done and pick the right dudes and them, more importantly, develop them, or you don't. Give the young bucks some time. Takes more than a year to be a great DT or OL.

Smart man. Most lineman need the time to develop, can't expect great things right away. Also think Briscoe (dancing elephant in the room) can do some good things there, just not next year.

We all want Bryant but if I had to bet on one kid from this class leaving the program, I am betting it is him.

Last edited:
Oh okay, try and remain calm.

Well, I don't know how to say this without being offensive, but just ignore me if it keeps you happier in life. I won't be offended. I'm commenting on things as we go.

Mrs. Franklin is very offended.

You named your son Jethro, you got bigger problems than me. Focus on the important things first.

Duly noted. By the way, since you don't understand, signing a 2013 JUCO has nothing to do with Bostwick and or Bryant. We will get our studs, give it 3.5 days. I just think one of them has his head very far up his ***.

3.4 days and counting. The dead period is going to be rampant with wild speculation.
Should be pretty interesting watching panic/elation roller coaster.

Advertisement
Chise,
I'll be a lot more butthurt if we lose Bostwick than Keef. Bostwick was just what the doctor ordered, IMO, and was seemingly a no-brainer for this class until this last week. Keef's skillset is ideal but the character concerns are too much to ignore at this point. And I realize DT's a position where it takes time, but I just didn't see the spark that I wanted to see from either. I hope I'm wrong, will be thrilled in fact. I do think Pierre's upside is noteworthy if not great. I just see takes like King & Grimble & Alexis and it makes me wonder if those are Jethro's calls or D'Ono or Al. They scare the **** out of me and make me pessimistic in conjunction with us losing (potentially.... 3.5 days left) two guys who seemed like slam dunks in Keef & Bostwick.

Chise,
I'll be a lot more butthurt if we lose Bostwick than Keef. Bostwick was just what the doctor ordered, IMO, and was seemingly a no-brainer for this class until this last week. Keef's skillset is ideal but the character concerns are too much to ignore at this point. And I realize DT's a position where it takes time, but I just didn't see the spark that I wanted to see from either. I hope I'm wrong, will be thrilled in fact. I do think Pierre's upside is noteworthy if not great. I just see takes like King & Grimble & Alexis and it makes me wonder if those are Jethro's calls or D'Ono or Al. They scare the **** out of me and make me pessimistic in conjunction with us losing (potentially.... 3.5 days left) two guys who seemed like slam dunks in Keef & Bostwick.

You're a quality vet. You're just more skeptical of our young DT talent and our corches' ability to evaluate and develop them than I am. At the end of the day, it's just two dudes with divergent opinions.

Chise,

To be fair Grimble was either a 5 star or a very high 4...can't remember. Point is there must have been a lot of people who thought he would be an impact player...it just hasn't panned out that way so far.

Advertisement

So Chise you aren'tlabeling guys busts after 1 season? That is a novel idea!

No, boss. I'm gonna give those big eaters a few years to get comfortable in their skin before I write them off. I always think of Big Mo Wilkerson and O. Pierre when I think of Al's ability to recruit and develop underrated guys. Gives me strong hope.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back