Tempo vs Pro Style

All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

That Klingler (Thursday Night?) game was a classic.

Advertisement
@ the dude

We ran a spread and won 2 nattys with Erickson. Fact. it was under center mostly but a spread offense.
Offenses have running concepts and passing concepts... So that leads to Oregon ond Ohio St and GT run extremely similar run offenses. Fact. Whether shotgun, pistol or under center their run is based off of deception. The option. Fact.

I like the spread because it SIMPLIFIES reads for the offense by dictating numbers in the box. Fact. That is why teams destroy us.(in base and in space = swiss cheese defense). If u spread out the defense horizontally it does 2 things. 1st it determines their personnel. If they stay base u have mismatches (against more WR) OR more space to exploit . 2nd if they go nickel or even 6 DBs it opens running lanes.

You can run ANY passing concepts from ANY formations with ANY personnel. FACT.

Tempo isn't always the spread and spread doesn't always mean tempo. BUT if your defenders have to defend 54 yds across and 80 yds up and down, why not speed it up. Fatigue increases mistakes. Fact.

I was just thinking about Erickson and how even an average coach can win here if his system fits our personnel. He was 63-9 as a Cane head coach and 156-143 everywhere else.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy and the winning. His record elsewhere speaks for itself.

To me honestly the biggest indictment on Al is he is stubborn. That's why he has to go. He is complicating his own situation. Miami sells itself. All he had to do was study what works HERE.

He is a control freak who gets in his own way. Our offensive style was a result of him trying to keep that horrible scheme out of the limelight, by keeping the players "rested". We were wide open with Morris at QB but couldn't stop anyone. So he says our D is getting gashed because they were on the field too long (B. S.) so the very next year we suddenly ran a smash mouth run heavy "pro" offense. Of course he blames it on the freshman QB as "inexperience".

On the real he's crafty. Back on topic though. I agree with u, a half crazy chimp could win here

All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

Amen. I remember their coach saying afterward: "I knew we were in trouble when their outside LB covered our fastest WR."

[MENTION=7854]Gatorhater[/MENTION] if your going off of Alabama and florida states success they both just got beat by tempo in the first round of the playoff. I don't think we need an air raid offense. We need to create space (spread) and and keep the defense on their heals and guessing (tempo) U can stay balanced and be in the spread. Everyone seems to think that the spread is an all pass offense but in reality it's one of the best schemes to run out of.

I also love how he poo poo's Osu natty nitle because they have "Meyer" and Aub for having a "special qb". But leaves off Winston for Fsu and Saban for AL. Just gives credit to the " pro style " lmao.

Fact is Urban has won three national titles with a spread offense , the same spread that the haters said couldn't cut in big time football when he was at Utah.

Also Aub's defense was awful against the pass but good against the run. Statistically a meh defense. They won shoot outs that year .

Last edited:
He is a control freak who gets in his own way. Our offensive style was a result of him trying to keep that horrible scheme out of the limelight, by keeping the players "rested". We were wide open with Morris at QB but couldn't stop anyone. So he says our D is getting gashed because they were on the field too long (B. S.) so the very next year we suddenly ran a smash mouth run heavy "pro" offense. Of course he blames it on the freshman QB as "inexperience".

The lengths He goes to to protect this crappy defense are bizarre & disgusting.

Advertisement
We have a head coach that believes in ball control offense, sitting on a lead and not giving up big plays on defense.

He will never change that philosophy.

We have a head coach that believes in ball control offense, sitting on a lead and not giving up big plays on defense.

He will never change that philosophy.

We didn't run a "ball control" offense until last year. We were lighting sh*t up. That ball control offense was after 2 years of the WORST DEFENSES in Miami HISTORY. Cover up.

It's sad really. Me personally, i only dislike him on a professional level. To be a football coach at this level u gotta know football. He just thinks he's always one freelancing player away from an elite defense on every play.

I used to say he'd be a good AD as opposed to coach but he won't fire ppl. So...

I doubt this is the year it all comes together though. ****. I love my Canes. Regardless.

A balanced spread here would be A1. Miami needs dual threat qbs. That would fix a lot of our problems as far as scoring and covering on 3rd down. We don't necessarily need an option attack. But we need a guy who can punish a defense 3 or 4 times a game with his feet. It opems up the D.

Not saying ANYTHING bad about Kaaya, hes got Natty potential, I believe. Kids like Rosier, athletic guys who are comfortable in the pocket would be great.

Amen. I remember their coach saying afterward: "I knew we were in trouble when their outside LB covered our fastest WR."

Exactly. He was talking about Jesse Armstead running stride for stride. Miami's speed compared to other teams was jaw dropping back then. Not so much anymore.

Advertisement

Exactly. He was talking about Jesse Armstead running stride for stride. Miami's speed compared to other teams was jaw dropping back then. Not so much anymore.

I thought it was Smith but certainly could have been Jesse. I think both were 4.4 or less. I can't understand why we are so slow now. Even under Randy our team speed was not what it was.

I thought it was Smith but certainly could have been Jesse. I think both were 4.4 or less. I can't understand why we are so slow now. Even under Randy our team speed was not what it was.

Randy had DVD, benjamin, and miller, right now on the squad the only true speed guys we have are stacy and artie outside of them i dont see anyone else that are speedsters

Thing with tempo though, you still have to be able to effectively run the ball, and/or have some helluva depth on defense.

Advertisement
Thing with tempo though, you still have to be able to effectively run the ball, and/or have some helluva depth on defense.

If you actually watch Oregon, they're very run-heavy. They just do it out of spread formations with tempo. Same for Auburn under Malzahn. Just because you run an up-tempo, spread offense doesn't mean you abandon the run. It's actually quite opposite.

I don't wanna see "tempo" as much as I wanna see spread. I'd like us to run tempo, but I'd deal with a clock chewing spread too.

I just wanna see us utilize our mis-matches.

Yes, football comes down to beating the guy in front of you, but there's ways to make that task easier. If I'm in the Pro-Style and the defense loads the box then every single one of my linemen can "beat the guy in front of them" and still fail. (cause we're out-numbered)

Pro-Style is a "Jimmies and Joes" offense. You need superior talent across the board. The spread allows inferior athletes to over-achieve. Now put superior athletes in a well-oiled spread...

I almost committed Hari-Kari when we were playing Louisville and we had 2 TEs and a fullback on the field running into 10 man boxes while Coley and Waters were riding the bench. WTF?! We had Standish Dobard and Ronald Regula on the field while Waters and Coley were getting splinters. It doesn't make any sense to take your best players off the field for a player(s) who aren't even a threat. Nobody is game planning to stop Stan Dobard or Ronald Regula. But if you put Coley and Waters on the field, DCs start sweating. It's common sense that our staff doesn't have.

If you actually watch Oregon, they're very run-heavy. They just do it out of spread formations with tempo. Same for Auburn under Malzahn. Just because you run an up-tempo, spread offense doesn't mean you abandon the run. It's actually quite opposite.

I didn't say spread teams can't or don't run the ball, I said for those type of offenses to work, they have to EFFECTIVELY run the ball just like ANY OTHER offense.

Advertisement

I didn't say spread teams can't or don't run the ball, I said for those type of offenses to work, they have to EFFECTIVELY run the ball just like ANY OTHER offense.
Our running backs are usually shifty guys that you want in space, they would do great in the spread

Our running backs are usually shifty guys that you want in space, they would do great in the spread

Then mix in a Gus Edwards and we have perfect balance

Urban Meyer is also proof that the spread does not mean you abandon the run. His offenses at Florida revolved around the run.

If al did the spread like we're saying then he might could get a statue out of butter just like urban lmao

Advertisement
Back