Tempo vs Pro Style

I personally would like to the talent better utilized and if that means changing to a spread.. so be it. We have too much talent to stick to this Pro style offense. At the end of the day I want what helps us win! It may hurt some players that head to the league, but I rather win on Saturdays then watch alums dominate on Sunday.

Advertisement
Over the years this subject has come up many times and I have yet to meet somebody who can give me a good reason why they prefer the Pro Style other than "it puts guys in the league." As if it mattered what offense our NFL guys played in. Andre Johnson could've played in the **** Wing-T and he would've still balled in the NFL.

I was never a spread fan until I became a Defensive Coordinator. A well-ran spread offense is **** near unstoppable. While watching Sarkisian at a clinic last February I simply found myself SMH @ some of his concepts while racking my brain trying to find ways to stop them. A good spread offense has options on **** near every play and what the QB/WR's do it predicated on the defense's alignments and also leverage, so even if you line up in a defense that gives you an advantage the offense simply adjusts. Each play has several options (or other plays if you will) built in.

Sarkisian has a play that's a run/pass option where they run zone/read and the QB is reading the Outside Linebacker (or whichever defender is lined-up over the slot WR). If that OLB attacks the zone/read, the QB throws a 5 yard hitch pass to the slot for an easy 8+ yard gain. If that OLB stays in his zone to cover the hitch the QB gives the ball to the RB on zone. It's pretty much unstoppable if the defense is in 2-high coverage, which most are against 2x2 offensive formations.

REASONS WHY I LOVE THE SPREAD AT MIAMI:
*The speed and skill talent that Miami has at it's disposal would allow us to assemble a spread offense like nobody has seen in college football. We have access to way more talent than Oregon or Baylor does. We could easily line-up with 4 future NFL receivers on every play.
*It spreads the defense out and forces them to put a 5th DB on the field. That 5th DB is normally a bench player. He's the 3rd best Corner, if you will. Now the defense has a back-up DB covering a slot WR that could (most likely) be a starter/primary WR at most schools in the country. (i.e. a Phillip Dorsett or Stacy Coley) I'll take those odds any day.
*There's probably not another team in the nation that can line-up on offense and have every skill player run 4.4 forties. (RB and WR's) We could do that at Miami.
*It spreads the defense out and makes it easier for the offensive players to read. It's a lot harder to disguise your coverage against the spread. The more you move your defenders around, the more chance you take at losing leverage. It's a lot harder for your defenders to get to their "spots" once the ball is snapped.
*It's easier to run the ball in the spread. The defense is spread out. Less men in the box. On top of that, you can still run all the same concepts you do out of the Pro Style...(i.e. Power, Iso, Counter, etc)...but now you're doing it with less guys in the box.
*It's a lot easier to find personnel for the spread down here. Every high school down here is running spread now. 7-on-7 tournaments are huge. These kids are lining up in spread offenses for 4+ years and then we're bringing them to Miami and putting them in a totally difference offense. Makes no sense. YOUR COLLEGE TEAM SHOULD BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR RECRUITING GROUND. (i.e. Wisconsin)

REASONS THAT I DON'T LIKE THE PRO STYLE AT MIAMI:
*Too hard to find QB's that can play in the Pro. Can it be done? Sure. But why? Why search far and wide for a QB that can take snaps from under center and read a defense while he's dropping back when I can simply run a spread and get most of my QB's from the state of Florida? How many Florida high school QB's do we have to watch excel at spread colleges before common sense kicks in?
*A Pro Style offense is useless without a stud TE. We've been fortunate to have some good ones over the years but let's face it, we had to go out of state to find them. TE's ain't exactly growing on trees in South Florida. Again...can it be done? Sure. But why? If I'm running the spread then I can find H-Back type athletes all over Florida. With the Pro-Style offense, you bring more defenders into the box. You're gonna get a lot of 8-man boxes and without a good TE it's hard to make defenses pay for loading the box.
*Pro-Style = more defenders in the box = harder to run the ball unless you have stud Linemen, a stud Fullback and a good Tight End. Fullbacks and mauling Offensive Linemen are growing on trees in parts of the country like Texas, Midwest and the Northeast. Does it mean that we can't get them at Miami? No. We've had some good South Florida O-linemen come through here. Linder, Feliciano and Flowers are all from South FLA and they were recently drafted. However, wouldn't it behoove me to run an offense that capitalizes off the types of players that do grow on trees in my backyard? (RB's and WR's)
*Pro-Style = harder for the QB to read the defense. I love when I play against a team that runs the Pro. There's so much more that I can do on defense in terms of disguising and blitzing.
*Having only 2 receivers on the field at Miami is a travesty. You got athletes like Coley or Waters sitting on the bench, waiting to get into the game. Who would you rather have on the field? Hurns, Dorsett, Tucker and Walford...or Hurns, Dorsett, Coley and Waters? (or even Walford at TE/H-Back) Maximize your athletes!!!

We've all seen that the Pro-Style can be successful at Miami but let's be realistic and look at some of the players that it took to make that offense successful. Many of the players that made our offense work weren't even from South Florida. We had to search far and wide for some of those players. And when we weren't able to pull those kinds of players in, our offenses sucked!

Why search all over the nation for the pieces you need and hope that they pan out when you can simply reload every year? I can honestly say that Miami would NEVER have a bad offense if they ran the spread. We would be just like one of these schools that's known for offense. However, what makes us more dangerous is that we also have access to top tier defensive talent. We'd be the only Oregon type team that actually had a pulse on defense. The offense would be fun to watch and fun to play in. Kids would be lining up at our door to play in our offense.

I'm all in on the spread football is trending in that direction on every level. Why not take the best athletes in the country and let them be athletes and spread them out and kill everyone in the humidity.it makes to much ***ing sense that's why.

Advertisement
The problem with all of this is that in theory, it sounds great for UM. Other teams do stuff and are successful, so we should be able to do it. Right. But what it comes down to, it seems to me, is the coach (or coaches) have to have sound principles, recruit and develop talent to fit, and implement and adapt on game day. The teams mentioned have people like Kelly, Meyer, and our own Erickson as coaches. There's no comparison to Golden. Now, I have no doubt that Al, D'No, and Coley each know as much football, in principal, than the other guys. They just don't do all of the other things as well. Does anyone really believe that if we just ran what OSU runs, we'd be as successful as they have been? So, the system makes the coach?

All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

Oregan did lose 2 national titles... TO SPREAD TEMPO TEAMS IN BETTER RECRUITING AREAS (like us). They lost to auburn and ohio state. Beat up on an fsu team that has owned us. They would dominate every single acc team and isn't that our goal, to dominate the teams on our schedule then find a way to win the ships once were selected for the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Erickson's 1-Back offense was considered a gimmick/spread at the time...that offense actually had it's roots at the HS level, so it "trickled up" you can say.
But nobody tore it up like Houston with that Run & Shoot in the late 80s-early 90s.

Over the years this subject has come up many times and I have yet to meet somebody who can give me a good reason why they prefer the Pro Style other than "it puts guys in the league." As if it mattered what offense our NFL guys played in. Andre Johnson could've played in the **** Wing-T and he would've still balled in the NFL.

I was never a spread fan until I became a Defensive Coordinator. A well-ran spread offense is **** near unstoppable. While watching Sarkisian at a clinic last February I simply found myself SMH @ some of his concepts while racking my brain trying to find ways to stop them. A good spread offense has options on **** near every play and what the QB/WR's do it predicated on the defense's alignments and also leverage, so even if you line up in a defense that gives you an advantage the offense simply adjusts. Each play has several options (or other plays if you will) built in.

Sarkisian has a play that's a run/pass option where they run zone/read and the QB is reading the Outside Linebacker (or whichever defender is lined-up over the slot WR). If that OLB attacks the zone/read, the QB throws a 5 yard hitch pass to the slot for an easy 8+ yard gain. If that OLB stays in his zone to cover the hitch the QB gives the ball to the RB on zone. It's pretty much unstoppable if the defense is in 2-high coverage, which most are against 2x2 offensive formations.

*The speed and skill talent that Miami has at it's disposal would allow us to assemble a spread offense like nobody has seen in college football. We have access to way more talent than Oregon or Baylor does. We could easily line-up with 4 future NFL receivers on every play.
*It spreads the defense out and forces them to put a 5th DB on the field. That 5th DB is normally a bench player. He's the 3rd best Corner, if you will. Now the defense has a back-up DB covering a slot WR that could (most likely) be a starter/primary WR at most schools in the country. (i.e. a Phillip Dorsett or Stacy Coley) I'll take those odds any day.
*There's probably not another team in the nation that can line-up on offense and have every skill player run 4.4 forties. (RB and WR's) We could do that at Miami.
*It spreads the defense out and makes it easier for the offensive players to read. It's a lot harder to disguise your coverage against the spread. The more you move your defenders around, the more chance you take at losing leverage. It's a lot harder for your defenders to get to their "spots" once the ball is snapped.
*It's easier to run the ball in the spread. The defense is spread out. Less men in the box. On top of that, you can still run all the same concepts you do out of the Pro Style...(i.e. Power, Iso, Counter, etc)...but now you're doing it with less guys in the box.
*It's a lot easier to find personnel for the spread down here. Every high school down here is running spread now. 7-on-7 tournaments are huge. These kids are lining up in spread offenses for 4+ years and then we're bringing them to Miami and putting them in a totally difference offense. Makes no sense. YOUR COLLEGE TEAM SHOULD BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR RECRUITING GROUND. (i.e. Wisconsin)

*Too hard to find QB's that can play in the Pro. Can it be done? Sure. But why? Why search far and wide for a QB that can take snaps from under center and read a defense while he's dropping back when I can simply run a spread and get most of my QB's from the state of Florida? How many Florida high school QB's do we have to watch excel at spread colleges before common sense kicks in?
*A Pro Style offense is useless without a stud TE. We've been fortunate to have some good ones over the years but let's face it, we had to go out of state to find them. TE's ain't exactly growing on trees in South Florida. Again...can it be done? Sure. But why? If I'm running the spread then I can find H-Back type athletes all over Florida. With the Pro-Style offense, you bring more defenders into the box. You're gonna get a lot of 8-man boxes and without a good TE it's hard to make defenses pay for loading the box.
*Pro-Style = more defenders in the box = harder to run the ball unless you have stud Linemen, a stud Fullback and a good Tight End. Fullbacks and mauling Offensive Linemen are growing on trees in parts of the country like Texas, Midwest and the Northeast. Does it mean that we can't get them at Miami? No. We've had some good South Florida O-linemen come through here. Linder, Feliciano and Flowers are all from South FLA and they were recently drafted. However, wouldn't it behoove me to run an offense that capitalizes off the types of players that do grow on trees in my backyard? (RB's and WR's)
*Pro-Style = harder for the QB to read the defense. I love when I play against a team that runs the Pro. There's so much more that I can do on defense in terms of disguising and blitzing.
*Having only 2 receivers on the field at Miami is a travesty. You got athletes like Coley or Waters sitting on the bench, waiting to get into the game. Who would you rather have on the field? Hurns, Dorsett, Tucker and Walford...or Hurns, Dorsett, Coley and Waters? (or even Walford at TE/H-Back) Maximize your athletes!!!

We've all seen that the Pro-Style can be successful at Miami but let's be realistic and look at some of the players that it took to make that offense successful. Many of the players that made our offense work weren't even from South Florida. We had to search far and wide for some of those players. And when we weren't able to pull those kinds of players in, our offenses sucked!

Why search all over the nation for the pieces you need and hope that they pan out when you can simply reload every year? I can honestly say that Miami would NEVER have a bad offense if they ran the spread. We would be just like one of these schools that's known for offense. However, what makes us more dangerous is that we also have access to top tier defensive talent. We'd be the only Oregon type team that actually had a pulse on defense. The offense would be fun to watch and fun to play in. Kids would be lining up at our door to play in our offense.

This. Pretty much all of it. Agreed.

The ESPN regurgitators, box score hawks, and highlight lovers are falling behind.
The type of thinking that produces is why we're lagging behind.

When we dominated in the 80s and 90s it was because we innovated. Not just to do it but because it played to our personnel WHILE having the personnel to do it. Thats the MIAMI way.

In the early 00s we were absolutely loaded. Elite talent AND elite depth and toughness. We didn't do anything special or different than anyone. Can't always expect or rely on that to win. I doubt we'll EVER see any teams that loaded on a 2 deep let alone 3 deep like we had.

The "Pro Style" offense WAS cutting edge in 83 in college. By 89 erickson's 1 back was the NEW cutting edge.

Stop holding on to history for the sake of HISTORY. If u don't change with the time u will be left behind until that becomes the IT again.

We're not spoiled as a fan base we're just loaded with idiots in the ranks. Who cares about how we win on Saturdays as long as we win. This aint a beauty contest its football.

Last edited:
South Florida kids in whatever system run tempo on offense whether that's spread or what and man aggressive defense. let these athletes be athletes tired of read and react and the complex schemes of Al

Advertisement
Miami's talent base is made for tempo. Tempo in this weather would be devastating for other teams.

Bull****...

Miami's talent is based on playing Football period.

normally your QB is the key on tempo verses Pro...is that the issue Chip is having at Philly non tempo players in the NFL...since a ton of CFB teams run a tempo offense..

Its called execution and discipline and these so called Miami players have none under this or the past 3 coaches... Whipple ran an upbeat faster tempo and lead to faster turnovers.. all we heard was Jacory is better at this..yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

I really dont care what we run....but a stretch play on 3 and 5 or 3rd and 7 with 9 guys in the box tells me you are being out coached.....

Miami's talent base is made for tempo. Tempo in this weather would be devastating for other teams.

Bull****...

normally your QB is the key on tempo verses Pro...is that the issue Chip is having at Philly non tempo players in the NFL...since a ton of CFB teams run a tempo offense..

Its called execution and discipline and these so called Miami players have none under this or the past 3 coaches... Whipple ran an upbeat faster tempo and lead to faster turnovers.. all we heard was Jacory is better at this..yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

I really dont care what we run....but a stretch play on 3 and 5 or 3rd and 7 with 9 guys in the box tells me you are being out coached.....

Honestly. J12 made a lot of bad throws. But he ALWAYS looked better in the gun with 3 or 4 WR. ESPECIALLY with fisch. Whipple ran a lot of deeper long developing concepts and from under center a bit too...

and to add to this.... GT runs the **** option and whoops are *** and others with it....you dont see teams any for that matter switching to the option at ALL..NONE

PJ just makes his kids line up and beat you...better coaches beat him, **** these two clowns here have a few times you need to play football for what ever the scheme or offense you want to run..

GT has played in how many BCS bowls with PJ as head coach 2...and 4 Acc title games..

We can run the spread with Russel wilson with this staff and lose 6 games...

PJ is a hardass and tough as nails and runs plays over and over and over till they get it....

we have Coley who is your best pal and wears apple glasses

Advertisement
yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

THIS.

J12's reads sucked under Nix & Whipple.

Remember listening to an interview with Randy after J12 got knocked out in the UVA game. Randy said Morris threw an INT down the middle of the field in practice, to which J12 replied..."Why did He do that?", Randy said He turned to J12, and said..."You do the same thing." Now I don't know if that was a pre or post-snap read problem, but it sounded to me like they were letting J12 get away with a lotta BS.

Randy said Morris threw an INT down the middle of the field in practice, to which J12 replied..."Why did He do that?", Randy said He turned to J12, and said..."You do the same thing." Now I don't know if that was a pre or post-snap read problem, but it sounded to me like they were letting J12 get away with a lotta BS.

LMAO! Matter of fact, the play J12 got knocked out on, He threw an INT down the middle of the field!

yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

THIS.

Remember listening to an interview with Randy after J12 got knocked out in the UVA game. Randy said Morris threw an INT down the middle of the field in practice, to which J12 replied..."Why did He do that?", Randy said He turned to J12, and said..."You do the same thing." Now I don't know if that was a pre or post-snap read problem, but it sounded to me like they were letting J12 get away with a lotta BS.

they had no one else...Jacory could never read the defense nor could Stephen, Fisch worked hard on it and Fisch even said we are just wanting our Qbs to get the ball into the play makers hands and not be the play maker....well that explained a lot to me when I read that.

Like I say..I dont care what we run as long as we run it hard, fast and consistent. You have to beat your man in football at whatever level you play at..we dont beat our man and havent in years or decades as times passes by...I have seen maybe 2 or 3 nice games out of our offense in 10 years where we just lined up and beat the other team, we could have ran the veer and won...DISCIPLINE is the key

Bull****...

THIS.

they had no one else...Jacory could never read the defense nor could Stephen, Fisch worked hard on it and Fisch even said we are just wanting our Qbs to get the ball into the play makers hands and not be the play maker....well that explained a lot to me when I read that.

Like I say..I dont care what we run as long as we run it hard, fast and consistent. You have to beat your man in football at whatever level you play at..we dont beat our man and havent in years or decades as times passes by...I have seen maybe 2 or 3 nice games out of our offense in 10 years where we just lined up and beat the other team, we could have ran the veer and won...DISCIPLINE is the key

Can't argue with that

Advertisement
Back