Tempo vs Pro Style

Jacory could never read the defense nor could Stephen,

IDK about all that. Remember listening to Fish after the 2011 FSU game, and He was talking about the INT that J12 threw down near the goal-line. He said He asked J12 what the coverage was, J12 said Quarters...asked J12 where He should have gone with the ball, J12 said "to the flats. So He knew where to go with the ball under Fish, just didn't always execute.

As far as Morris is concerned, if Fish would've came back in 2013, He would've had a better year. Kid had a helluva finish in 2012.

Advertisement
All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

Oregan did lose 2 national titles... TO SPREAD TEMPO TEAMS IN BETTER RECRUITING AREAS (like us). They lost to auburn and ohio state. Beat up on an fsu team that has owned us. They would dominate every single acc team and isn't that our goal, to dominate the teams on our schedule then find a way to win the ships once were selected for the game.

Not grind on a point but it seems the two recent NC won by spread tempo teams were against other spread tempo teams. Noles beat Aubirn last year for the NC. Our problems rest not with the type of offense we run but rather the type of defense and coaching. Old Canes defense mostly ran base defense and dared anyone to beat it. No offense does well when you get in its backfield and tackle everyone. Our old simple style with speed everywhere is made to order against both spread and tempo. Today's defenses require changes in players and calls. It seems to me that it is that complexity the tempo attacks. OU and NE were the unstoppable offenses before we came alone.

I concede that we have lacked the key personal for both our offense--QB, TE and Fullback--and defense -- DTs. That and the inexplicable abandonment of "speed kills" surrounded by hideous coaching for 15 years and sad recruiting left the door open for today's offenses to flourish. Given our "worst in class" BOT, we have become the loser type school that might need gimmick offenses but I have no hope that will return us to glory.

and to add to this.... GT runs the **** option and whoops are *** and others with it....you dont see teams any for that matter switching to the option at ALL..NONE

PJ just makes his kids line up and beat you...better coaches beat him, **** these two clowns here have a few times you need to play football for what ever the scheme or offense you want to run..

GT has played in how many BCS bowls with PJ as head coach 2...and 4 Acc title games..

We can run the spread with Russel wilson with this staff and lose 6 games...

PJ is a hardass and tough as nails and runs plays over and over and over till they get it....

we have Coley who is your best pal and wears apple glasses

His linemen dont beat their opponents they dive for their legs, i personally dont like tgat style but you are right it works, though golden is 3-1 against PJ, still remember that game we played them in 2013 when they were scrapping us and we made an adjustment at halftime and kept them at bay, the only dam time ive seen that from doritos

Miami's talent base is made for tempo. Tempo in this weather would be devastating for other teams.

Bull****...

Miami's talent is based on playing Football period.

normally your QB is the key on tempo verses Pro...is that the issue Chip is having at Philly non tempo players in the NFL...since a ton of CFB teams run a tempo offense..

Its called execution and discipline and these so called Miami players have none under this or the past 3 coaches... Whipple ran an upbeat faster tempo and lead to faster turnovers.. all we heard was Jacory is better at this..yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

I really dont care what we run....but a stretch play on 3 and 5 or 3rd and 7 with 9 guys in the box tells me you are being out coached.....

Couldn't disagree more with the athletes notion of this post, these south Florida kids come up running fast pace run and gun offenses. These kids were recruiting these athletes are made for these systems. They are fast and quick and good in space. They have played in the conditions of south Florida and could really kill an opponent that is not used to playing in the elements. Quarterback has to do with tempo but it's a system

Miami's talent base is made for tempo. Tempo in this weather would be devastating for other teams.

Bull****...

normally your QB is the key on tempo verses Pro...is that the issue Chip is having at Philly non tempo players in the NFL...since a ton of CFB teams run a tempo offense..

Its called execution and discipline and these so called Miami players have none under this or the past 3 coaches... Whipple ran an upbeat faster tempo and lead to faster turnovers.. all we heard was Jacory is better at this..yea well he wasnt he was better when he was slowing the game down under Fisch and reading defenses..

I really dont care what we run....but a stretch play on 3 and 5 or 3rd and 7 with 9 guys in the box tells me you are being out coached.....

Couldn't disagree more with the athletes notion of this post, these south Florida kids come up running fast pace run and gun offenses. These kids were recruiting these athletes are made for these systems. They are fast and quick and good in space. They have played in the conditions of south Florida and could really kill an opponent that is not used to playing in the elements. Quarterback has to do with tempo but it's a system

I dont see where I said slow em down...just prepare them for whatever offense and execute....Duke ran well here and those kids that left here for Bama or FSU they do just fine in those Pro Style situations... Jimbo has said pro style or spread you need to get more plays in.
That leaves us with Stoops and OK the king of running as many plays as possible and they still struggle.

again I want fast players in positions to make plays we dont have that right now... on both sides of the ball. Show me the spread or up tempo with some Wins here I am all in..

if you watch any HS football they have to run what what they can.... with limited athletes at Skilled positions some folks just think you plug that guy into college and it works

Advertisement

Bull****...

I dont see where I said slow em down...just prepare them for whatever offense and execute....Duke ran well here and those kids that left here for Bama or FSU they do just fine in those Pro Style situations... Jimbo has said pro style or spread you need to get more plays in.
That leaves us with Stoops and OK the king of running as many plays as possible and they still struggle.

again I want fast players in positions to make plays we dont have that right now... on both sides of the ball. Show me the spread or up tempo with some Wins here I am all in..

if you watch any HS football they have to run what what they can.... with limited athletes at Skilled positions some folks just think you plug that guy into college and it works

Bama and FSU have been so good because they consistently field top defense. With the idiots we have here at Miami were not gonna have a top defense so we need put up big offensive numbers. This pro style system Miami runs is old and worn out and is to predictable. Also you may not of said slow them down but that's exactly what this pro style offense is doing is slowing down the tempo. Al likes to wallow on the ball and keep his defense off the field. While it may help our defense some it has really cost us in second half of games

Last edited:
[MENTION=7854]Gatorhater[/MENTION] if your going off of Alabama and florida states success they both just got beat by tempo in the first round of the playoff. I don't think we need an air raid offense. We need to create space (spread) and and keep the defense on their heals and guessing (tempo) U can stay balanced and be in the spread. Everyone seems to think that the spread is an all pass offense but in reality it's one of the best schemes to run out of.

Florida state trailed in a lot of games went tempo in the second half to come back and win including auburn in the championship

[MENTION=7854]Gatorhater[/MENTION] if your going off of Alabama and florida states success they both just got beat by tempo in the first round of the playoff. I don't think we need an air raid offense. We need to create space (spread) and and keep the defense on their heals and guessing (tempo) U can stay balanced and be in the spread. Everyone seems to think that the spread is an all pass offense but in reality it's one of the best schemes to run out of.

I think we will be both waiting a long time before that happens here... Sadly

Advertisement

keep in mind if we speed things up, we give the ball back quicker and get beat by 4 tds instead of 3... Al has always stated he slowed our offense down to play keep away... we all have seen it live many many times..

All this is interesting but for all its spread uptempo exactly how many NC grace the halls at OE? Ok, Alburn and OSU won recent titles with spread but Alburn had a special QB and one heck of a defense that year. OSU had Urban. Bama and FSU are pro style and won the other 4 of the last 6.

What I wonder is if we had our old attacking speed dedicated defense would it once again destroy all this option stuff. Remember Houston coming into town and leaving shaking its head. And we all know the OU lost 3 games in 3 years and all of them to us. Is the spread/tempo/read option finding all this success because our defense is not out there to show how to beat it? Remember Ray in his last Super Bowl saying beating the spread isn't hard - not for an old Cane who knew how.

We'd have the talent on defense that would allow us to win a National Championship and do things that OU aren't capable of.

I don't wanna see "tempo" as much as I wanna see spread. I'd like us to run tempo, but I'd deal with a clock chewing spread too.

I just wanna see us utilize our mis-matches.

Yes, football comes down to beating the guy in front of you, but there's ways to make that task easier. If I'm in the Pro-Style and the defense loads the box then every single one of my linemen can "beat the guy in front of them" and still fail. (cause we're out-numbered)

Pro-Style is a "Jimmies and Joes" offense. You need superior talent across the board. The spread allows inferior athletes to over-achieve. Now put superior athletes in a well-oiled spread...

Advertisement

We'd have the talent on defense that would allow us to win a National Championship and do things that OU aren't capable of.

My point is that our old style of defense with the talent we can field might crush the spread like it did the option under JJ. I don't doubt we can win a NC with spread IF we play our old style defense, then again we could probably win a NC with the single wing with out talent IF we played our old style defense. Al changed to a defense that is contrary to our DNA and if is a disaster. Changing our offense scares me. We need coaching more than a different offense.

Yeah. Go up tempo so when Coley can't figure out how to convert a third down D'No's stop troops take the field. Lolololololol. Good luck with that. I love theory.

I don't wanna see "tempo" as much as I wanna see spread. I'd like us to run tempo, but I'd deal with a clock chewing spread too.

Yes, football comes down to beating the guy in front of you, but there's ways to make that task easier. If I'm in the Pro-Style and the defense loads the box then every single one of my linemen can "beat the guy in front of them" and still fail. (cause we're out-numbered)

Pro-Style is a "Jimmies and Joes" offense. You need superior talent across the board. The spread allows inferior athletes to over-achieve. Now put superior athletes in a well-oiled spread...

This is my opinion as well

Advertisement

Glad to see you've crossed the threshold on this.

I find it comical that most all cane fans want urban as our coach but a lot of them don't want tempo offense. When we replace golden would you guys not like to hire a tempo guy because most of the names I hear everyone say for replacement are pro style coaches.

Huh

Yeah. Go up tempo so when Coley can't figure out how to convert a third down D'No's stop troops take the field. Lolololololol. Good luck with that. I love theory.

I don't want Coley's slappy *** running tempo...

I want a spread/tempo OC in here.

@ the dude

We ran a spread and won 2 nattys with Erickson. Fact. it was under center mostly but a spread offense.
Offenses have running concepts and passing concepts... So that leads to Oregon ond Ohio St and GT run extremely similar run offenses. Fact. Whether shotgun, pistol or under center their run is based off of deception. The option. Fact.

I like the spread because it SIMPLIFIES reads for the offense by dictating numbers in the box. Fact. That is why teams destroy us.(in base and in space = swiss cheese defense). If u spread out the defense horizontally it does 2 things. 1st it determines their personnel. If they stay base u have mismatches (against more WR) OR more space to exploit . 2nd if they go nickel or even 6 DBs it opens running lanes.

You can run ANY passing concepts from ANY formations with ANY personnel. FACT.

Tempo isn't always the spread and spread doesn't always mean tempo. BUT if your defenders have to defend 54 yds across and 80 yds up and down, why not speed it up. Fatigue increases mistakes. Fact.

I was just thinking about Erickson and how even an average coach can win here if his system fits our personnel. He was 63-9 as a Cane head coach and 156-143 everywhere else.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy and the winning. His record elsewhere speaks for itself.

Advertisement
Back