TE Luka Gilbert commits to Miami

View as article
Loop Lego GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
That kid looks every bit of 240 to me, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to body types and potential development. I like him as a TE, but it's not unreasonable to project him at tackle, 45-50 lbs over a couple of years and it's possible.

If he is 240 right now then I think he would need to gain about 75lbs to play tackle here under Mario (basing that off all the dudes Mario has signed).

In all my years following Miami (25 years), I can think only one player, Zion Nelson, who has done anything similar. Winston was in the 260s when played TE and 290-300 when he played LT. Zion showed up at 245 I believe and started Day 1 because we had no other options. It took him 3 years to get over 300 and then his knee gave out 20 months ago and we haven’t seen him since. Was the weight gain the reason his hurt knee? No but did play a part? Probably.

I say keep kid as in line TE (260-270lbs) and hope he belongs the player they are trying to have Old Man Cam be.

If he is 240 right now then I think he would need to gain about 75lbs to play tackle here under Mario (basing that off all the dudes Mario has signed).

In all my years following Miami (25 years), I can think only one player, Zion Nelson, who has done anything similar. Winston was in the 260s when played TE and 290-300 when he played LT. Zion showed up at 245 I believe and started Day 1 because we had no other options. It took him 3 years to get over 300 and then his knee gave out 20 months ago and we haven’t seen him since. Was the weight gain the reason his hurt knee? No but did play a part? Probably.

I say keep kid as in line TE (260-270lbs) and hope he belongs the player they are trying to have Old Man Cam be.

I'm 100% convinced that Zion ruined his career by rushing to gain weight and play early unprepared. And Manny and Enos were right there cheering him on, signing him up for hot dog eating contests.

Gabby Says the staff want him as a true TE not as a project OT. Not sure why our fans insist on changing positions for players so often. Those fans probably still drooling over at Zion at LT and RIvers at LG.

Advertisement

I feel like Fox showed up at like 240-250 and then started at left tackle at like 280…I may be off there though.

Either way, exception proves the rule, as you said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back