Taylor Stubblefield

Advertisement
Weird projection, Franchise. As I responded to you advocating for you and others not to jump to conclusions, you ask me to do it? Ha.

A few posts above you wrote basically anyone can be a WRs coach because the coaching doesn't matter. Something something Wiggins catching 100 balls but choking in games, right? The WR coach position is solely about recruiting, according to you. I didn't make anything up. I just think you went too far in the fun hyperbole you usually offer. Considering that stance and for this topic, there's no basis for any reasonable discussion between us.
My conclusion is based in fact. The guy got fired by the only good program he’s worked for for being an abominable recruiter.

He’s been coaching a long time. This isn’t a young guy who’s been coaching for 3 years. He’s close to 40 and has been coaching for about 15 years. His career trajectory is trash, and he’s never been responsible for acquiring any big time talent in all those years.

This isn’t jumping to conclusions. It’s making a conclusion based on a lot of facts. Same reason you wouldn’t hire Doritos to coach the defense here today, and it’s the same reason Applebag got himself fired for hiring Doritos to coach his defense.

Not every coach deserves a completely clean slate where people are precluded from forming opinions about them. Some guys with a a long track record of insignificant accomplishments and devout failure like Stubblefield don’t deserve to be hired here.

So instead of hiring someone better qualified we are hiring friends.......this shlt again

It’s pretty obvious why we hired him.

Enos wanted a few guys on offense who are familiar with his system and how he teaches it.

I’d bet anything Barry (who coached OL and TE under Enos) and Stubblefield will probably help Hickson and Field in that regard.

Not every staff is going to be a Frankenstein amalgam of guys who’ve coached in different systems and have never worked with the HC or OC.

Synergy on staff makes sense.

We’ll see how it works out.

So what’s the WR coach responsible for?

Teaching the route tree that's told to him by the coordinator/hc. That goes for every position. From individual drills (where you repeat daily the steps that are part of your base and what you're doing for the upcoming opponent, to 7v7, unit, and team drills. A position coach can't just start telling his to do something that isn't inline with the coordinator, or it ***** up the play. He can teach a few things to help create separation that they may not know, but even those things have to be in-line with the OC, not to mess up the timing. Familiarity with the OCs system is why were bringing him in.

More true FR WRs/RBs play more than true freshman QBs and OL. WR/RB/TE are positions that you want to load up with guys who can recruit (doesn't mean they aren't technicians), which is why you see that from most powerhouse programs. WR and DB are normally the most talented positions in SFL and the most heavily recruited by outside schools. Stubblefield better be nuts about recruiting if he's going to compete for the local elites.

Advertisement
The Rumph point is actually right on the mark. Surprised you couldn’t grasp it.

I never talk about bag men being hired here because it’s stupid. There aren’t really bag men on P5 staffs anyway. The bag men are behind the scenes. LOL at the idea of big-time programs hiring guys who walk around with duffel bags handing cash to recruits.

You jump to too many conclusions trying to paint posters into the corner of your choice. That doesn’t work with someone as intelligent as The Legend. I never mentioned anything about having no room for more than one good technical coach. You’re making that up to try to prove something.

My point was a very easy one to grasp, and I’ll state it again. It was a garbage hire because the guy is a horrific recruiter. There are countless guys out there who can teach WRs the technical aspects of the position AND recruit like maniacs.

This guy got fired by Utah because he was absolute garbage as a recruiter. Wittingham, who is an experienced and accomplished football coach ran this dude out of town in a rail because he was a colossal failure. No one else wanted him. He’s been coaching WRs at Air Force where they don’t throw the ball and his **** recruiting didn’t matter.

We have no clue if he’s some sort of technical savant. Guys are assuming he is merely because he’s an abominable recruiter. But even if he is some sort of lab coat wizard, his garbage recruiting makes him useless and has led to a horrible career in coaching with one dead end gig after another.

I’m shocked Manny hired him. Only thing that makes sense is that part of the Enos deal was that he gets to hand select his guys (something I doubt Saban would have given him) also Manny must feel Cooney and Fields can pick up the slack. Only problem is, if Cooney is getting the WR maybe he keeps creating this WR room drama.

Teaching the route tree that's told to him by the coordinator/hc. That goes for every position. From individual drills (where you repeat daily the steps that are part of your base and what you're doing for the upcoming opponent, to 7v7, unit, and team drills. A position coach can't just start telling his to do something that isn't inline with the coordinator, or it ***** up the play. He can teach a few things to help create separation that they may not know, but even those things have to be in-line with the OC, not to mess up the timing. Familiarity with the OCs system is why were bringing him in.

More true FR WRs/RBs play more than true freshman QBs and OL. WR/RB/TE are positions that you want to load up with guys who can recruit (doesn't mean they aren't technicians), which is why you see that from most powerhouse programs. WR and DB are normally the most talented positions in SFL and the most heavily recruited by outside schools. Stubblefield better be nuts about recruiting if he's going to compete for the local elites.
And how familiar is Rumphlefield with Enos’s current system anyway? You’d have to think we will see more of what Enos did at Alabaga than what he did at CMU. I don’t even think Rumphlefield was with him at Arkansas.

Advertisement
My conclusion is based in fact. The guy got fired by the only good program he’s worked for for being an abominable recruiter.

I would’ve liked an ace recruiter, but I’m okay with it if he’s a legitimate technician (which is still up for debate).

He’s got a roomful of 4-star WRs to work with.

As for recruiting, put Field and Cooney on the big dawgs, and let Stubblefield tag along.

The locals are ****ed and consider a slap in the face. Hia brother that coaches at Southbridge, also didn't seem to happy on his Twitter. I thought Manny gave him a promotion? I gotta think this was an Ennos take vs giving job to Cooney View attachment 77355

Ohhhhhh, that is RICH. South Florida High School Corches want to talk about slaps in the face now?!

The term "Eat a ****" sounds appropriate here.

I would’ve liked an ace recruiter, but I’m okay with it if he’s a legitimate technician (which is still up for debate).

He’s got a roomful of 4-star WRs to work with.

As for recruiting, put Field and Cooney on the big dawgs, and let Stubblefield tag along.
Looks like a wasted hire to me. I’m sure he knows the same basics as any other competent WR coach. But he’s a proven dud.

Advertisement
...and devout failure like Stubblefield don’t deserve to be hired here.

For whatever reason, the OC (likely decision authority) and/or HC (without question a decision authority), beg to differ.

You do make good points about his career trajectory and the athletes recruited to where he has been.

For Stubbs, what metric(s) would you hold to show success/failure?

For me, the catching ability in that WR has to improve. Just too many throws dropped that were easy and needed.

Picking up some quality athletes in the 2020 cycle will obviously be another.

Advertisement
I don't get what your argument is here. I didn't say it was or wasn't. I said I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. As in, "WR coaches have to be recruiters." Couldn't all position coaches then be "primarily recruiting?"

Are some of you really saying WR is not a technical position? Weird fanbase. There were people in the Cooney thread *****ing about needing to hire more technical coaches. I guess it's a message board, so the common denominator is sometimes baseless shouting. By all means. Don't forget to click the ads, though.

Or maybe there isn't a common denominator because one poster isn't another poster so the logic one poster used isn't the logic of another? I don't know, I guess that might be stretch, but it's what I usually employ when quoting a specific post and responding to that specific post.

And my point is relatively simple. That yes, by and large, WR is a position coach that should lean towards recruiter. If you didn't know anything else about a staff. My point would also be that, knowing specifically about this staff, the WR coach needed to be a home run recruiting hire.

The RB Coach is at best all potential. He does check some boxes, and I did defend the hire. But I also conditioned that defense on the WR coach being an established recruiter, which then allows us to take a flyer on an unknown, but potentially high ceiling, RB Coach.

Now both the WR Coach AND the RB Coach are unknowns in recruiting, with one having potential, and the other appearing to have none. It's like building a baseball team and having your 1B be a non-power bat, and your DH maybe have some power potential, but never even having a 20 home run season in the majors at this point. It's a horrible way to construct a baseball team when you add up your two primary power positions.

Our offensive staff in terms of recruiting is the TE coach and then who????

And how familiar is Rumphlefield with Enos’s current system anyway? You’d have to think we will see more of what Enos did at Alabaga than what he did at CMU. I don’t even think Rumphlefield was with him at Arkansas.

We brought in Barry who also coached with Enos at CMU, which was the only other place where Enos likely got to choose his staff. He's coached a bunch of schools, but the only guys that he brings back with him are 2 that coached with him at CMU. Really hoping that this doesn't mean that he wants to run the CMU offense.

Advertisement
Back