Taylor Stubblefield

Advertisement
Only thing that could make this hire make sense is Manny might’ve had to go cheap with this one, and trust that Cooney will still have a solid impact assisting with the WRs . Maybe you sign a cheap guy like Stubblefield for a year maybe two just to finally promote Cooney to full time and he can go on the road recruiting

Advertisement
A big key to the Stubblefield hire was his connection to new OC Dan Enos and the importance of surrounding him with guys he has worked with and feels comfortable with. OL Coach Butch Barry was the first example of that.
Stubblefield spent the last two years coaching receivers at Air Force. He went to the Academy after coaching receivers for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League in 2016.

Stubblefield helped develop a wide receiving corps that featured record-setters Marcus Bennett and Geraud Sanders. Bennett, the team’s leading receiver in 2016, had five catches for 161 yards and two touchdowns vs. Navy last year. His 161 yards are the 11th most in school history and his 32.2 yards per catch rank second all-time. Sanders was one of nine receivers to score a touchdown on the first catch of his career in 2017.
A consensus All-America wide receiver during his playing days at Purdue, Stubblefield coached receivers at the college level from 2007-15 before coaching in the CFL last season. The Yakima, Wash., native has made coaching stops on the East and West coasts, the Midwest and the Mountain West region.

Prior to coaching at Utah from 2014-15, he coached at Central Washington (2007), Eastern Michigan (as a graduate assistant in 2008), Illinois State (2009-10), Central Michigan (2011), New Mexico (2012) and Wake Forest (2013).
While at Wake Forest, his leading receiver, Michael Campanaro, was named second-team all-Atlantic Coast Conference. While at Central Michigan, Stubblefield coached three third-team all-Mid-American Conference receivers in Titus Davis, Courtney Williams and Cody Wilson. Davis was a Phil Steele Freshman All-American.

In his two years at Illinois State, Stubblefield mentored three all-Missouri Valley Football Conference honorees, including first-team receiver Eyad Salem. Salem set a school record for receptions in a season with 92. Stubblefield also had two receivers named to the MVFC all-Newcomer team during his time at Illinois State.

As a player at Purdue, Stubblefield was a consensus All-American and a 2004 finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, presented to the most outstanding receiver in college football. He finished his career (2001-04) with an NCAA record 316 receptions and ranks second in Big Ten history with 3,629 receiving yards.

Stubblefield’s performance against Washington State in the 2001 Sun Bowl (nine receptions, Sun Bowl-record 196 yards, two touchdowns, Sun Bowl-record 244 all-purpose yards) earned him a spot on the Sun Bowl’s 75th anniversary team. His 16 receiving touchdowns in 2004 are a Purdue single-season record.

After graduating from Purdue in 2005, Stubblefield had professional stints with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams as well as the Canadian Football League’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Cooney as Recruiting coordinator is perfect for him, I'd rather have him as just a recruiter than be a position coach just yet. But people seem to forget Cooney was an OC at Gables & Southridge, he has some coaching experience & is a rising prospective coach.

His biggest task imo will be to convince the 2020 WR's Bryan Robinson & Marcus Fleming to stay on board because they committed to Dugans, and trying to convince Marcus Rosemy that Miami is still the place to be for him.

But hopefully, Hickson, Field, Enos & Diaz all go full court press in landing & keeping the top WR's in the 2020 class, because it's absolutely loaded at WR.
The locals are ****ed and consider a slap in the face. Hia brother that coaches at Southbridge, also didn't seem to happy on his Twitter. I thought Manny gave him a promotion? I gotta think this was an Ennos take vs giving job to Cooney
IMG_4365.PNG

Advertisement
Nobody knows anything about Stubblefield. Everybody just Googled him and immediately formed a strong opinion.

I only know him as a player, and he was a great technician. Hopefully, that translates. I know @apfenny3 has heard good things about his coaching.
Correct, have a family friend who played under him at Illinois state who spoke highly of him

Advertisement
Yikes the guy has never had one WR over 900 yards in his entire career coaching D1 WRs... Every team he's coached at passing offense has struggled. Idk how this dude got this job tbh. I'm starting to think he was fired from just about every job instead of getting a promotion. I'll give him a chance but holy **** his resume is bad

Advertisement
Not thrilled at all bout this hire but this is the only questionable one from Manny so far so I guess see how it plays out..? Hopefully if he or other coaches don’t produce Manny will make changes right away instead of holding off.

Advertisement
Back