Talent

Advertisement
Mario has had 5 of his OL drafted from his time at Oregon.

In same time span Miami has had zero OL drafted.

I have a strong feeling that will change over next few years starting in 2024 draft.

If Mauigoa and Okunlola aren’t Day 2 picks at worst when it’s their time to come out, I’ll be beyond shocked.

In typical CIS fashion holding two concurrent thoughts at the same time for many is like trying to solve world peace.

our talent level has sucked
our coaching has sucked and last year was not better under Mario.

both coexist

having better talent can mitigate bad coaching- to a degree
having better coaching can mitigate bad talent - to a degree (MTSU says hi)

but if you don’t get both together posts saying “15-0” will always be jokes not data supported predictions

I also don’t care what u believe but that’s not the conversation. I think you’re just hating on the kid lol, if mario is building a culture why would he push to keep someone like that around? And if he overstated his injury why even comeback at all? Just sit the year and save yourself from everything lol these are wild accusations for an alumni to spill on a current player.

Why not recruit over him? Go to the portal. Garcia may suck, but we lost him to the portal for TVD, and have no true QB2.

Especially if we are building for the future and trying to establish culture, character and buy-in…

Advertisement
When will someone stop blaming the parents and start blaming the teenager.

I’m using this as a metaphor for UM and I know this is gonna **** people off.

Too Many draft picks for too many years from sht p5 and G5 programs. All from head coaches and position coaches that no one on here can mention, name, or remember.

The nfl has starters at all positions from all the divisions in cfb.
But the university of Miami has failed at
1: evaluating
2: developing
3: scheming
4: retention of players
5: recruiting
5: beating teams that we’ve out-recruited by a mile.
6: actually win games where we are favored by a lot.

You’re telling that all those draft picks have had better position coaches and evaluators than Miami?
All those teams had better defensive or offensive schemes?

One year we lost 4 games where we were favored by more than 14 points.
If you’re telling me that that was 100 percent on coaching then you’re crazy.

Either there has been some side bets going on or other schools are breaking the 20hr rule by a mile and their compliance departments are in permanent vacation in the same exumas.

Or maybe they’re players GAF and actually have player lead workouts and film sessions and everyone is on board?

Maybe we should start holding team meetings and workouts at the local marathon gas stations.

Why is it that we have sucked at all of the above but other schools have succeeded.

Why do coaches that have had success somewhere else fail here.

Why do coaches that suck here win or develop somewhere else?

At some point there is a serious disconnect and the only variable left to point out is that the culture and players here are not preparing themselves the way they do at other places and are being influenced by something else that supersedes whatever dreams and aspirations they had to make it to the nfl.

The clowning and teasing of players that work hard is another one.

The constant posting of 1 or 2 highlights despite the entire team getting embarrassed screams of lack of cohesion and a total disregard for team unity.
I’m done with the blaming of coaches when players refuse to work extra.

Kj and D King saw what tf was going on tried to lay down the law and despite that, players were still calling X a kiss *** and coach’s pet.

If I was a coach I would say “I’m not here to save you”.
Don’t expect me to make you a day one pick with 20hrs a week.

The culture and the “I made it” attitude that has permeated this program should be obvious by now.

Now, the players don’t owe me or any of you sht. But when they can’t even fight for themselves then they deserve their udfa status.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not here to say any of the coaches that have been here for the past 20 years we’re gonna take us to the playoffs. But to put the blame entirely on them is very short sighted.
I have also been saying this as well. too many players don't care about winning or putting in the work. this board believes coaches are magicians as well.

"...Y'all really gotta cut it out with all this over the top dramatics. Let kids & COACHES actually prove what they can do before you annointing them or **** on them. You know who has proven what he can do? With actual sustained results? That's the coach yall ungrateful *** fans keep ****ting on because in his first year even though he had a complete all star coaching staff things simply didn't work out. Do any of y'all take a second to say it wasn't Mario or gattis who was throwing **** pass after **** pass or dropping catch after catch? Wasn't Mario who threw two pick sizes inside the RedZone on the first two possessions against mtsu..."
👆🏻If you know, you know. Not a single inaccuracy here.

The overestimation of "Miami's talent" has become a two decades long ritual for our fan base.

Lack of necessary program structure and support + inability of corching staphs to overcome = failure of talent acquisition and development. It really highlights what an amazing job Butch DAW GAWD did with what he inheritied and worked with. That aside, Mario is building towards something better than we've seen in a long time. Always impatient fans view it through a game-by-game lens. Leaders like Mario view it through an endgame lens.

Big difference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When will someone stop blaming the parents and start blaming the teenager.

I’m using this as a metaphor for UM and I know this is gonna **** people off.

Too Many draft picks for too many years from sht p5 and G5 programs. All from head coaches and position coaches that no one on here can mention, name, or remember.

The nfl has starters at all positions from all the divisions in cfb.
But the university of Miami has failed at
1: evaluating
2: developing
3: scheming
4: retention of players
5: recruiting
5: beating teams that we’ve out-recruited by a mile.
6: actually win games where we are favored by a lot.

You’re telling that all those draft picks have had better position coaches and evaluators than Miami?
All those teams had better defensive or offensive schemes?

One year we lost 4 games where we were favored by more than 14 points.
If you’re telling me that that was 100 percent on coaching then you’re crazy.

Either there has been some side bets going on or other schools are breaking the 20hr rule by a mile and their compliance departments are in permanent vacation in the same exumas.

Or maybe they’re players GAF and actually have player lead workouts and film sessions and everyone is on board?

Maybe we should start holding team meetings and workouts at the local marathon gas stations.

Why is it that we have sucked at all of the above but other schools have succeeded.

Why do coaches that have had success somewhere else fail here.

Why do coaches that suck here win or develop somewhere else?

At some point there is a serious disconnect and the only variable left to point out is that the culture and players here are not preparing themselves the way they do at other places and are being influenced by something else that supersedes whatever dreams and aspirations they had to make it to the nfl.

The clowning and teasing of players that work hard is another one.

The constant posting of 1 or 2 highlights despite the entire team getting embarrassed screams of lack of cohesion and a total disregard for team unity.
I’m done with the blaming of coaches when players refuse to work extra.

Kj and D King saw what tf was going on tried to lay down the law and despite that, players were still calling X a kiss *** and coach’s pet.

If I was a coach I would say “I’m not here to save you”.
Don’t expect me to make you a day one pick with 20hrs a week.

The culture and the “I made it” attitude that has permeated this program should be obvious by now.

Now, the players don’t owe me or any of you sht. But when they can’t even fight for themselves then they deserve their udfa status.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not here to say any of the coaches that have been here for the past 20 years we’re gonna take us to the playoffs. But to put the blame entirely on them is very short sighted.
miniGif_20200422172516.gif

what made Golden and Shannon such good evaluators is that they didn’t get caught up in the hype of schools abd camps they focused on elite traits.. speed, agility, power and aggression.. that’s why they were able to find 3 stars that became nfl vets and pro bowlers that’s what good programs like Illinois, Iowa, and other schools do abd allow coaches to teach fundamentals! We need to go back to that and i think we are…

FSU didn't have anybody in the first 3 rounds drafted and they won 10 games.

Mario could have won 8-10 games with our roster if he didn't fumble his hires so badly. You could also argue he mismanaged the workload on the players that lead to so many injuries.

FSU could have, remarkably their best talent (Verse for example) bypassed the draft to return or weren't eligible.

Mario fumbled the hires for sure, but with our injuries and lack of talent, depth, and age, there was no way we were winning more than 7 games looking back IMO. Doesn't matter, fool me once, etc. We need to show marked improvement on all fronts this season.

Advertisement
I know its brutal fellas, but be patient. Last year was worse than even the worst case scenario, but essentially we were exposed as the king with no clothes. Mario had to rebuild the entire program, including the culture, which was atrocious.

In a weird way, when we look back it might have been for the best. Sometimes you need to bottom out to have a real understanding of what needs to be done.

Beating a dead horse, but once again the NFL draft shows the lack of talent we have.

Illinois (x2)
Texas tech
Northwestern
Iowa State
Mississippi State
Pittsburg
TCU (x2)
Boston college
Maryland
Utah
Kansas State (x2)
Kentucky
Syracuse
Oregon State
Georgia Tech
North Dakota State
Michigan St
UCLA
SMU

All before Tyrique Stevenson in the 2nd round. And he transferred in here.

By the begging of the 5th round, many of the schools above had multiple players drafted. We have no more than 1…

The roster prior to Mario was at a group of 5 level maybe even worse.
We're going to have a good amount of talent drafted high next season. James Williams and Kam Kinchens will go day 1 or 2. Akheem Mesidor should go day 2 or early day 3. Leonard Taylor is a wildcard, he can go day 2 if he keeps improving. After that you have wild cards like TVD and Javion Cohen who could go day 2 or early day 3.

Advertisement
To add to that, where is the talent from on those teams that whooped our ***..

MTSU
Duke
FSU

Those games weren't close.

Pitt had 1, but again we were whooped.

UNC, close, but no draft pick in the criteria you selected.

Criminal work by Mario and company.
Here's the thing. Miami has been ultra soft, mentally weak team and culture for 15-20 years. When you bring a new man in charge whether it's sports or business, their usually is major blowback. People like to be comfortable.

Mario is making these players uncomfortable. He is demanding. He asks a lot. A lot of players aren't built for it. The ones who are, and stick it out, will be better for it.

Another big issue last year was injuries.

Miami's injuries offensively weren't playable.

You can't lose 2 of your best RB's, starting QB plays about 7 games, lose 3 OL, 2 best WR's, and a co-starting TE for a big chunk of the season.

So you have all these injures, you have a demanding HC, and things start going south. What do the players have to play for? Some quit, and that's why they aren't here anymore.

So yea the season was historically bad, but I imagine Miami has a big bounce back season this year.

👆🏻If you know, you know. Not a single inaccuracy here.

The overestimation of "Miami's talent" has become a two decades long ritual for our fan base.

Lack of necessary program structure and support + inability of corching staphs to overcome = failure of talent acquisition and development. It really highlights what an amazing job Butch DAW GAWD did with what he inheritied and worked with. That aside, Mario is building towards something better than we've seen in a long time. Always impatient fans view it through a game-by-game lens. Leaders like Mario view it through an endgame lens.

Big difference.
With the majority of Manny’s guys gone and Mario’s ability to use the portal and NIL to completely overhaul the roster, what’s going to be his inevitable excuse for going 6-6 in 2023? Will be it be his own talent? How come Lincoln Riley can go into USC and immediately make them a CFP contender and Mario can’t win 8 games in year 2?

I agree with others, it’s a combination of talent and bad coaching. Mario gotta let his OC do his thing and figure out a way to keep the team healthy. If he does this and keeps recruiting at a high level, I think he can absolutely be successful here.

In a weird way, when we look back it might have been for the best. Sometimes you need to bottom out to have a real understanding of what needs to be done.

Thank you, well said. Another analogy is a building that is not properly maintained for many years, at some point you have to make major repairs, even a gutting or teardown.

Advertisement
Back