Talent Gap

Coaching 100% matters. I loved the Likens hire. His resume is as good as anyone's on this staff.

So why are the receivers still as mediocre as it gets?
Is Liken responsible for recruiting the wide recievers we have? Even the best cook can not make chicken salad out of chicken sh it

Advertisement
I don’t know if you remember, but there was a time on this board where if you would be ripped a new one for even suggesting that “stars matter.” It used to be just assumed that a South Florida 3-star was basically a 4-star everywhere else.

People like me destroyed that narrative and tore it down, to where now the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

So let me say this - stars matter, but stars don’t tell the whole story.

For example, how do you put a star ranking on a high school WR? Things like battling off the line and making contested catches are so important, but kids NEVER have to do that in high school.... ever hear the phrase “high school open?” So how do you project that?

Most scouts for the ranking sites just use 40 time and camp performances, but that’s not gonna tell the whole story. That’s how someone like Mark Pope gets a 4-star ranking, despite lacking the talent to play at this level.

So stars “matter” for the fans, but coaches need to be evaluating. And the talent gap between us and Clemson is wider than the stars suggest, because they’ve done a better job of evaluating kids out of high school

I've always felt we need to play Press man on the outside & let our Corners do work & we actually do just not as much as we should, but to be fair when you don't have the depth & have to account for the Boundary side that can't really cover on the Deep ball it's understand why we don't as much as some other teams might.

My major criticism with Baker has always been the way he uses our LB's, other than that I've never really been a harsh critic of his, I just believe he puts our LB's at a disadvantage way too often which leaves huge cutback holes in the 2nd level of the Defense & leaves us susceptible to getting gashed, but my opinion of Baker has been that he's a solid DC that can keep us at having a top 15 Defense but if he made some slight adjustments could have us at top 5.

I also don't like his personnel groupings at times & feel the deference to seniority hurts in the long run, especially in recruiting. Actually my biggest gripe with Baker is the fact that he's a Houston guy that never recruits HTown an area that literally has just as much NFL caliber talent as South FL & produces tons of talented players in every class.

My take on him as always been nuanced which doesn't work for the board lol, you either have to love or hate'em & I don't do either. Ultimately, I'm gonna judge him by how our Defense performs vs Pitt, UVA, NC St, Va Tech, GTech, Wake & UNC, most of the board will be wanting to burn him alive after the Clemson game but that's mainly because they refused to keep things in perspective all week & psyched themselves into delusion.

The fact is, Clemson's offense hasn't been stopped by anybody for the last 2 years except for LSU in 2019 on a team that was loaded with NFL players, expecting Baker to do so on the road is just unrealistic.
True indeed .....I think we stop those other schools but like u said they will get chunk yards on the ground here and there but we will win.

Advertisement
We have good talent. But there are holes. Corner is one. Wide receiver is a huge one. I think if we had Richards we have a shot at winning that game that’s how much he changes the game. OL is one but improving. Linebacker is a big hole but mainly due to the guys coaches choose to put out there. There are no holes in the Clemson roster. We have talent but have holes

Butch on the hot seat at FIU time for him to come home as a consultant
I'd take Butch as an AD. Anything would be an upgrade over Flake James. Or bring in Butch as Chief of Staff after moving Reed to a coaching position. Just throwing stuff against the wall and having fun with it.

We have good talent. But there are holes. Corner is one. Wide receiver is a huge one. I think if we had Richards we have a shot at winning that game that’s how much he changes the game. OL is one but improving. Linebacker is a big hole but mainly due to the guys coaches choose to put out there. There are no holes in the Clemson roster. We have talent but have holes
Yes there are holes. Clemson really exposed them thoroughly. The hole at WR is significant but we have guys on the roster who are quite capable of filling those holes. Payton, Redding and Smith are the best 3 in terms of potential. I loved the Restrepo signing but I'll wait till he shows me something at WR. Worsham is a ? for me so we'll see how he develops. I love Brinson and B.Smith but admittedly know little about George. My point is that WR has a promising future.

The OL is a major priority. The unit has improved with the scheme change and the huge coaching upgrade but I would like to see substantial development and an improved talent base here over the next 2 years. The OL is crucial and I believe that this unit has been neglected in the past. A good OL allows your offense to do so much more and an elite OL is invaluable. With a great OL, the game at Clemson is very different.

The hole at LB is becoming such an issue that it threatens the functionality of the entire defense. I don't think I can remember a year where a UM defense was so helpless vs the run especially on the perimeter. The honeymoon is over. McCloud and Jennings have become flat out liabilities to the point where their experience is completely irrelevant. Those 2 simply cannot get it done. It's time to hand over all practice reps and playing time to Brooks, Flagg, Huff and Cave. It's time to move on. With a serviceable to good LB duo, this defense is can be very good.

This entire situation at CB is a joke and a disgrace. No not Blades and Ivey but the fact that we can barely recruit this position. How many scholarship CBs on the roster? 5? Maybe 4 if Clarke moves. With 2 being true freshmen that number is even more embarrassing. I'm not here to debate Rumph's coaching prowess. The guy can't recruit for **** and that's just not good enough. Something has to give and frankly I don't give a **** what that is. I just want this situation addressed and soon! Who do we have committed? Burns and Curtis who should be used on offense anyway. This entire thing is insane.

QB is another thing. For a program that used to be called QBU we haven't had much success at the most important position before King arrived. We need to start getting it together there if we want to truly compete with the likes of Clemson. TVD may be a future star and maybe he won't be. We all know Perry will never lead us anywhere and unfortunately King can't stay forever. We need to upgrade the recruiting efforts here in a really big way. When we hear how important it is to recruit 1 good/great QB prospect a year, it's no joke!

Coaching and development is crucial. I think we are fine right now on the offensive side of the ball. Defense however.....Baker has to go. Period end of story. Dude is a total liability. A DC that can't recruit, game plan or call plays? GTFOOH! Get a real DC in here for next season. We also need a couple more experienced and talented position coaches on D.

Last edited:
Yes there are holes. Clemson really exposed them thoroughly. The hole at WR is significant but we have guys on the roster who are quite capable of filling those holes. Payton, Redding and Smith are the best 3 in terms of potential. I loved the Restrepo signing but I'll wait till he shows me something at WR. Worsham is a ? for me so we'll see how he develops. I love Brinson and B.Smith but admittedly know little about George. My point is that WR has a promising future.

The OL is a major priority. The unit has improved with the scheme change and the huge coaching upgrade but I would like to see substantial development and an improved talent base here over the next 2 years. The OL is crucial and I believe that this unit has been neglected in the past. A good OL allows your offense to do so much more and an elite OL is invaluable. With a great OL, the game at Clemson is very different.
I’d say the oline had a great future as well. Rivers and Washington are great prospects for the 2020 class. And 2021 we have McLaughlin as a tackle prospect but he’s a project. But on the interior we have big baby and Ryan rod. That’s a nice haul. Add in the potential of walker provided he gets all of his issues straightened out I think we’re good. Zion locks down a tackle spot. Campbell has 2 years left. Clark is young. Still have Reed in the wings. Scaife has 2 years if he choose to use them

Advertisement
What's it say about Clemson's coaching when they have significantly less overall talent than the other "top programs" but are still the best team in college football?

What's it say about Clemson's coaching when they have significantly less overall talent than the other "top programs" but are still the best team in college football?
Its unreal how they were able to keep that staff put together for so long and then Jeff Scott leaves for USF. Like why USF that program is in the tubes right now. Top to bottom has to be the best in the country. Don’t know how dabo keeps them together man

Y'all worrying about the 4*s. Maaaan listen, put 11, Yes, ELEVEN freaking 5*s on this team and we're guaranteed a spot in the championship game.

Advertisement

Yep. It's true that we only have 3-4 players that would start for Clemson, plus the kickers. But how many of Clemson's players would start for Alabama? Lawrence, Etienne and who?

Clemson's most talented players have been QBs and DLs, so that helps them. But the rest of the roster is built on IQ and toughness.

Y'all worrying about the 4*s. Maaaan listen, put 11, Yes, ELEVEN freaking 5*s on this team and we're guaranteed a spot in the championship game.
No, we’re not. Not with this coaching staff

Advertisement
Yep. It's true that we only have 3-4 players that would start for Clemson, plus the kickers. But how many of Clemson's players would start for Alabama? Lawrence, Etienne and who?

Clemson's most talented players have been QBs and DLs, so that helps them. But the rest of the roster is built on IQ and toughness.
I like boothe over Josh Jobe at CB. Booth's ability to run and locate the ball in the air is legit. Boy can play.

Billy Fuccillo says the talent gap between Clemson and UM
F721A996-6A4A-4AFC-961B-7DBFBB299722.jpeg

Advertisement
Back