Talent Gap

407cane

All-ACC
I was thinking about this today and ironically saw this graphic.

To be honest I was thinking it was much more of a difference at least depth wise.

Clemson has 46 4/5 star recruits

We have 36. I still stand by some south florida 3* being 4* in other states.

Ohio state georgia and alabama having double us is just insanity, we got a lot of work to do before we reach championship level depth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201008-174512_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-174512_Instagram.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 428
Advertisement
We definitely have a ways to go. 2020 and 2021 classes will help those numbers. But championship depth is hard to come by. And Clemson has the five stars at the important spots. The d line and QB. With a pair of five star corners and a LT. arguable but those are the most important spots to have the top level guys

Advertisement
We definitely have a ways to go. 2020 and 2021 classes will help those numbers. But championship depth is hard to come by. And Clemson has the five stars at the important spots. The d line and QB. With a pair of five star corners and a LT. arguable but those are the most important spots to have the top level guys

How do you define championship depth? Clemson is tied for 4th lowest overall. From that chart, it looks to me that the dividing line between good and elite is 5 star players. Probably a dumb question but who is the lone 5 star on our rooster? I wonder if that is a composite 5 star or someone who could be a 5 on one recruiting site and a 4 on others.

jaelen phillips probably

Ah ok. So we actually don't have any 5 stars we recruited out of HS currently on the team. Looks like next year we will have 2, and possibly 3 if Miami can land T2. That looks like it would put you right in the mix. If Phillips comes back then Miami could have 4 in 2021. I wonder what the minimum number would be. Sucks that UF bought Marshall, could have been looking at 5 5 stars (or did Marshall drop to 4 star?). Oh well. Maybe if we have a great season, then we can get a surprise or 2.

I posted this in another thread. Similar chart. Miami has pretty much the same number of 4 and 3 star players. I would argue coaching seems to be the biggest differentiator. It's only been three games, but so far Lash is the answer on offense and appears equal to, or better than, any OC on that list. This coming weekend is his litmus test. Baker on the other hand, not sure he could hack it as a DC at any of the top schools.

Advertisement
Idc what the numbers say, the talent gap is more than that. The “stars” may not show it, but their guys are coached up and better prepared. For example, they never get O lineman drafted but they play well together. We’ve had individuals drafted but had terrible lines. Individual talent isn’t good for that much unless it’s a QB.

Idc what the numbers say, the talent gap is more than that. The “stars” may not show it, but their guys are coached up and better prepared. For example, they never get O lineman drafted but they play well together. We’ve had individuals drafted but had terrible lines. Individual talent isn’t good for that much unless it’s a QB.

Scheme/coaching has improved our OL immensely.

We went from getting mauled against Central Michigan to hanging half a hundred on FSU.

Advertisement
Scheme/coaching has improved our OL immensely.

We went from getting mauled against Central Michigan to hanging half a hundred on FSU.

Three of the guys from the ‘17 OL made 53-man rosters in the NFL. Those guys were punching bags for most of their time here.

Scheme and QB make a big difference. There is latent talent all over the team.

I posted this in another thread. Similar chart. Miami has pretty much the same number of 4 and 3 star players. I would argue coaching seems to be the biggest differentiator. It's only been three games, but so far Lash is the answer on offense and appears equal to, or better than, any OC on that list. This coming weekend is his litmus test. Baker on the other hand, not sure he could hack it as a DC at any of the top schools.

Agreed. I've seen enough of Baker to know that he isn't a good DC. Even in the FSU game, there were a few drives where they were carving up the defense and Baker had no answer. think we got lucky a couple times and ended up getting turnovers because FSU's QBs are so incredibly bad. Holding FSU to 10 points wasn't because of scheme. FSU could have easily scored 2 more TDs if we didn't catch some lucky breaks. We still win, but 52-24 isn't quite the beat down we all wanted.

Advertisement
Glad somebody else realizes this.
Texas too, they're stacked with 4/5-star talent, yet get upset frequently by teams with lesser talent because Herman completely neglects the Defensive side of the ball & a lot of the players on the team haven't bought in to what he's selling.

Texas's biggest issue is there's a portion of the locker room that simply doesn't trust/like Herman & don't play all out for him. He also has a number guys who haven't played up their ranking yet as well.

Coaching & Development are paramount, talent does matter, but without good coaching you'll lose plenty of games to teams with less talent.

Glad somebody else realizes this.
nobody is saying coaching doesn't matter more, but are you saying that if two programs haves similar skill level coaching staffs that it wouldn't matter at all if one team had twice as many 4 and 5 star recruits?

stars aren't everything, I simply shared a graphic because I figured Clemson was up there with Ohio State and Bama but they are much further down the list and equivalent to us

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back