Talent Gap

Advertisement
Yes, you can have the best players on the field and if those players don't have guidance and leadership, talent can take you so far. It's coaching and being a psychologist to your players. Jimmy Johnson did it and even scnelleburger. Sorry for spelling. remember this ain't a competition. You have your opinion just like I.

Last edited:
NiCk SaBaN iS tHe GreATesT CoaCH eVEr
You joke but he's just 1 man. The Baga coaching staff continually gets poached year in and year out. Not even just the coordinators, but all the position coaches as well. That still doesn't stop Bama from developing no name walk on 2 stars into NFL talent. (look it up). The difference between Clemson and Bama is just that something Dabo is doing has done a great job of keeping the key pieces of their coaching staff intact over the years. So you have quality coaches + stability, which equals what they've been able to do.
In fact, I haven't looked it up, but prior to Clemson's recent rise to success, I'd bet we had better talent than they did. The difference was the coarching we had.

Advertisement
Rivals rankings don't count bro, they're retarded lol.

The 247 composite ratings are the most accurate, Phillips is still a 5-star on 247, if you go by Rivals they'll have someone like Keshawn Washington ranked ahead of Bubba Bolden lol.

Rivals is garbage, their writers & analysts don't know shìt about football.

Remember this? :ROFLMAO:

Rivals rankings don't count bro, they're retarded lol.

The 247 composite ratings are the most accurate, Phillips is still a 5-star on 247, if you go by Rivals they'll have someone like Keshawn Washington ranked ahead of Bubba Bolden lol.

Rivals is garbage, their writers & analysts don't know shìt about football.
Gotcha bro. Well atleast our lone five star is at the most important position on the field besides quarterback.

Advertisement
Texas too, they're stacked with 4/5-star talent, yet get upset frequently by teams with lesser talent because Herman completely neglects the Defensive side of the ball & a lot of the players on the team haven't bought in to what he's selling.

Texas's biggest issue is there's a portion of the locker room that simply doesn't trust/like Herman & don't play all out for him. He also has a number guys who haven't played up their ranking yet as well.

Coaching & Development are paramount, talent does matter, but without good coaching you'll lose plenty of games to teams with less talent.
This is basically the bottom line. Talent without coaching will go nowhere. I believe this team has completely bought in and Lash seems like the real deal to me.

@Liberty City El
I must ask again. Have you changed your appraisal of Baker? Is it better? Worse? Have these first 3 games been able to tell you anything more about Baker? Do you concur with Calvin when he says thst we should just play aggressive press man and let the chips fall where they may? I think I have seen enough evidence that the aggressive style is what we are built to play. I think Baker coaches too scared sometimes.

Coaching & Development matter more than just having a raw accumulation of 4-stars.

FSU is the shining example of this, they have a roster full of 4-stars but they've been so poorly coached since Jumbo left that they play nowhere near their Blue-Chip ratio.
I never thought they would be Golden UM levels but they are worse then those times. They are epically bad

This is basically the bottom line. Talent without coaching will go nowhere. I believe this team has completely bought in and Lash seems like the real deal to me.

@Liberty City El
I must ask again. Have you changed your appraisal of Baker? Is it better? Worse? Have these first 3 games been able to tell you anything more about Baker? Do you concur with Calvin when he says thst we should just play aggressive press man and let the chips fall where they may? I think I have seen enough evidence that the aggressive style is what we are built to play. I think Baker coaches too scared sometimes.
I've always felt we need to play Press man on the outside & let our Corners do work & we actually do just not as much as we should, but to be fair when you don't have the depth & have to account for the Boundary side that can't really cover on the Deep ball it's understand why we don't as much as some other teams might.

My major criticism with Baker has always been the way he uses our LB's, other than that I've never really been a harsh critic of his, I just believe he puts our LB's at a disadvantage way too often which leaves huge cutback holes in the 2nd level of the Defense & leaves us susceptible to getting gashed, but my opinion of Baker has been that he's a solid DC that can keep us at having a top 15 Defense but if he made some slight adjustments could have us at top 5.

I also don't like his personnel groupings at times & feel the deference to seniority hurts in the long run, especially in recruiting. Actually my biggest gripe with Baker is the fact that he's a Houston guy that never recruits HTown an area that literally has just as much NFL caliber talent as South FL & produces tons of talented players in every class.

My take on him as always been nuanced which doesn't work for the board lol, you either have to love or hate'em & I don't do either. Ultimately, I'm gonna judge him by how our Defense performs vs Pitt, UVA, NC St, Va Tech, GTech, Wake & UNC, most of the board will be wanting to burn him alive after the Clemson game but that's mainly because they refused to keep things in perspective all week & psyched themselves into delusion.

The fact is, Clemson's offense hasn't been stopped by anybody for the last 2 years except for LSU in 2019 on a team that was loaded with NFL players, expecting Baker to do so on the road is just unrealistic.

Advertisement
I've always felt we need to play Press man on the outside & let our Corners do work & we actually do just not as much as we should, but to be fair when you don't have the depth & have to account for the Boundary side that can't really cover on the Deep ball it's understand why we don't as much as some other teams might.

My major criticism with Baker has always been the way he uses our LB's, other than that I've never really been a harsh critic of his, I just believe he puts our LB's at a disadvantage way too often which leaves huge cutback holes in the 2nd level of the Defense & leaves us susceptible to getting gashed, but my opinion of Baker has been that he's a solid DC that can keep us at having a top 15 Defense but if he made some slight adjustments could have us at top 5.

I also don't like his personnel groupings at times & feel the deference to seniority hurts in the long run, especially in recruiting. Actually my biggest gripe with Baker is the fact that he's a Houston guy that never recruits HTown an area that literally has just as much NFL caliber talent as South FL & produces tons of talented players in every class.

My take on him as always been nuanced which doesn't work for the board lol, you either have to love or hate'em & I don't do either. Ultimately, I'm gonna judge him by how our Defense performs vs Pitt, UVA, NC St, Va Tech, GTech, Wake & UNC, most of the board will be wanting to burn him alive after the Clemson game but that's mainly because they refused to keep things in perspective all week & psyched themselves into delusion.

The fact is, Clemson's offense hasn't been stopped by anybody for the last 2 years except for LSU in 2019 on a team that was loaded with NFL players, expecting Baker to do so on the road is just unrealistic.
Great stuff as usual my friend. I agree with you about the way he uses the LBs. Also some of our pre snap alignments are bizarre to me as they seem to immediately put us at a big disadvantage and makes us very easy to leverage. In terms of Baker this year I think he has shown signs of improvement. A couple of more questions if you don't mind. Have you noticed those weird pre snap alignments I mentioned? What is he trying to accomplish? Also I agree with you about the idea that if Baker made the proper adjustments that we could be a top 5 defense generally that is. So my last question is in your opinion, has Baker shown any signs that he would be open to the adjustments you have in mind?

Great stuff as usual my friend. I agree with you about the way he uses the LBs. Also some of our pre snap alignments are bizarre to me as they seem to immediately put us at a big disadvantage and makes us very easy to leverage. In terms of Baker this year I think he has shown signs of improvement. A couple of more questions if you don't mind. Have you noticed those weird pre snap alignments I mentioned? What is he trying to accomplish? Also I agree with you about the idea that if Baker made the proper adjustments that we could be a top 5 defense generally that is. So my last question is in your opinion, has Baker shown any signs that he would be open to the adjustments you have in mind?

Thanks. That basically says it all. I also am annoyed by our LBs lining up in the exact same spot. Reminds me of Dorito even though I know that Baker is miles better lol.

I haven't gone back and reviewed the film from FSU as far as breaking it down but there was something that immediately caught my eye in the moment. FSU had moved the ball seemingly at will in their 1st drive. Before the 1st play of FSU's 2nd drive I immediately noticed a difference in our alignment. I yelled it out to the rest of the guys in the room and lo and behold, we were on the attack!!!!! Phillips blew up the 1st play, then we blew up the 2nd etc... From that moment on our defense was much more aggressive. What was the exact alignment that we went to? I believe we had 8 in the box.

Advertisement
How do you define championship depth? Clemson is tied for 4th lowest overall. From that chart, it looks to me that the dividing line between good and elite is 5 star players. Probably a dumb question but who is the lone 5 star on our rooster? I wonder if that is a composite 5 star or someone who could be a 5 on one recruiting site and a 4 on others.
J Phillips

Coaching & Development matter more than just having a raw accumulation of 4-stars.

FSU is the shining example of this, they have a roster full of 4-stars but they've been so poorly coached since Jumbo left that they play nowhere near their Blue-Chip ratio.
Now El, I done told u to shhhhhhh in the last thread about why kids are going to these SEC schools. Here u r stirring the pot, again, bringing up a sore subject of player development. That’s in total contradiction that, FOR SOME ODD REASON, all of our blue chip players suck b/c they don’t want to put in the work. We can’t keep having u bringing in alternate reasoning.

Advertisement
Back