Takeaway from the coach’s roundtable on ESPNU

Advertisement
Not buying this. Wide receivers come a dime a dozen. When our line play is dominate we’ll be good again.

No doubt about, those LSU receivers were dominant. And a couple proved why at the combine. Sorry but they are not a dime a dozen.

Coaching needed improvement more than any other position group. It's pretty obvious we should have won 9-10 games last year even with all our holes. Enos and Searels were a train wreck, and Baker is no Aranda. After that, OL, After that QB. ... WR is a distant 4th.

We've upgraded two areas of need in coaching and QB, and gotten some more seniority and depth at OL. Our offensive tackle situation now seems to be the most dire. But hopefully Lashlee and Justice can manage it with scheme and coaching..

Personally, I've felt we had more than enough talent at WR to win the Coastal and our non-conference games. This year's group is no different. Pope, Wiggins and Payton should be running circles around the competition, and Harley should be blowing the top off the defense.

The Titans have one of the best OL's in the league & workhorse back that can tote the rock 30+ times a game.

We haven't had that kind of personnel since the 90-00's. When you don't have a road grading stout OL & you don't have a power style back, you can't run the ground & pound offense, you have to utilize the weapons you do have, which for us is always speed & natural playmakers on the perimeter.

It's been the classic trying to force a Square peg into a round hole at Miami.

El, I believe I said the same chit w Richt’s offensive philosophy. Our identity have been shot to **** b/c we didn’t have the personnel to run what both Richt & Enos wanted to run on O, and what D’No wanted to run on D

Advertisement
ESPNU replayed the CFP title game with Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Derek Mason and Jeff Hadley (BC coach and former OSU DC) on commentary. They were watching the game live and the conversation had a ton of insight into how big-time coaches see the game.

As a Canes fan, one aspect jumped out to me: they were infatuated with LSU’s receivers. They all kept coming back to that advantage and why it made LSU impossible to defend. At the same time, Alabama has shifted from a traditional power team to a team built around its elite WRs. It is a new era.

Lashlee’s system should help maximize what we have at WR, which is tops in the Coastal. But it is becoming clear we won’t be Miami until we have true #1 WRs.

How would you rank LSU's OL and DL units?

ESPNU replayed the CFP title game with Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, Derek Mason and Jeff Hadley (BC coach and former OSU DC) on commentary. They were watching the game live and the conversation had a ton of insight into how big-time coaches see the game.

As a Canes fan, one aspect jumped out to me: they were infatuated with LSU’s receivers. They all kept coming back to that advantage and why it made LSU impossible to defend. At the same time, Alabama has shifted from a traditional power team to a team built around its elite WRs. It is a new era.

Lashlee’s system should help maximize what we have at WR, which is tops in the Coastal. But it is becoming clear we won’t be Miami until we have true #1 WRs.
There is a thread about Coley and shows his plays he made here against FSU. In the one where we miss the extra point. In that replay you see Coley, Ahmmon, Njoku, Herndon, Walton, and Berrios.. Kayaa was a pretty good trigger man to me, we still sucked. Shame we wasted soo much talent while college offensive football was THRIVING on a whole other level.. frustrating..

Some of y'all sound crazy AF.

Burrow had an eternity to throw on most of His attempts, their O-Line was dominant.

Every...Position...Is...Important.

Advertisement
2019 Stats: LSU-Clemson-OSU-OU + Bama + Georgia + SMU + Miami

Sacks Allowed
35-18-35-23 + 12 + 15 + 17 + 51
CFBPO Avg****: 28 (Miami differential (+23))
CFBPO + Bama + Georgia Avg****: 23 (Miami differential (+28))

TFLs Allowed
75-72-80-74 + 63 + 60 + 66 + 92
CFBPO Avg****: 75 (Miami differential (+17))
CFBPO + Bama + Georgia Avg****: 71 (Miami differential (+21))

3rd Down Conversions
91-80-101-77 + 80 + 77 + 93 + 44
CFBPO Avg****: 87 (Miami differential (-43))
CFBPO + Bama + Georgia Avg****: 84 (Miami differential (-40))

Scoring Offense**
726-659-656-590 + 614 + 431 + 544 + 334
CFBPO Avg****: 658 (Miami differential (-324))
CFBPO + Bama + Georgia Avg****: 613 (Miami differential (-279))

*Per cfbstats.com 2019 full season
**data somewhat skewed by total games (15-15-14-14 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 13)
***high/best; low/worst
****rounded

Last edited:
Advertisement
LSU went from mediocre to incredible on offense in the span of one season despite returning a majority of their offensive starters. If you think it was because the offensive line suddenly got great out of nowhere, you need to just give up on football and get into baking or something.
HsAsOUJEYgyFa.gif

I’ve mentioned this on here before but I tried to put our staff onto David Bell out of Indianapolis in the past and they scoffed. Would’ve been the #1 receiver the day he stepped on campus. Had 1k yards as a true frosh last year for Purdue. Will be a 1st rounder in two years and is a Reggie Wayne clone.

Advertisement
I’ve mentioned this on here before but I tried to put our staff onto David Bell out of Indianapolis in the past and they scoffed. Would’ve been the #1 receiver the day he stepped on campus. Had 1k yards as a true frosh last year for Purdue. Will be a 1st rounder in two years and is a Reggie Wayne clone.

Cheers to your potential partnership when he declares!

Not every position is of equal importance. I’ll take the nation’s best quarterback over the best guard.

It doesn’t mean you should disregard linemen completely, it means there are ways to scheme around an average offensive line. LSU did it last year. I’ll have to check but I believe 4 of the 5 guys who started the opener against Miami in 2018 were opening day starters for them in 2019.

Not buying this. Wide receivers come a dime a dozen. When our line play is dominate we’ll be good again.

We're not talking about dime a dozen wide receivers.

If you look at teams like LSU, Alabama, and Clemson...you're looking at 3 WRs at LSU that are Top 40 picks. You are looking at Alabama with 3 WRs that are Top 40 picks...and at Clemson you've got some genetically mutated humans that are potentially Top 40 picks. We're not talking about Stacy Coley and Rashawn Scott here, man.

In today's game, offense rules. Good OL and QB are obviously important, but having super humans being able to burn pedestrian corners weekly is such an asset its insane. Having world beaters (Ja'Marr Chase, for example) make first round defensive backs (check the logs...Terrell, Henderson, Diggs all looked silly v him) look like chump change is a game changer. It takes your offense from good and maybe very good to elite.

Dorsett - speed blinded the eyes of scouts. If they redrafted, no way in **** hes going 1st round

Hurns - UDFA

Both under the tutelage of Golden’s staff.

As mentioned before Golden could’ve done well here, had he got rid of his defensive side of the ball, namely No’D

I never thought Dorsett was a 1st Round pick either. But even if he were taken in the 4th round, he would've well outplayed his recruiting ranking

Dorsett - Ranked #383 but drafted #28 overall
Hankerson - Ranked #367 but drafted #79 overall
Hurns - Ranked #515 & UDFA - but had best single season for a Miami WR ever, and is the only 1k yd NFL WR since Andre Johnson
Scott - Ranked #1,101 but played in the NFL 2 years

That's 4 overachieving WR's IMO. Why aren't they considered to be "developed"?

I'm getting off topic, but at other positions - Redwine, Njoku, Mike Jackson, Walford, Isadora, McIntosh, Isadora, Feliciano, Rousseau - all were drafted hundreds of spots above their recruiting rankings.

It seems weird to me that in the "development" discussion - we have all these overachieving players the last 10 years - but it doesn't seem like there's a single Miami player that people think was "developed" by the coaches. But if you look at other schools, these are the type of players people would point to as showing "good development".

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back