Takeaway from the coach’s roundtable on ESPNU

And those players looked nothing like they did this year before the new offensive system. That matters in all of this discussion of what we have or don’t have at receiver . Yeah Justin Jefferson was pretty productive in 2018 however he was much more productive in 2019 with joe Brady new offensive system

So you bring me to my next point.....as I mentioned when Lashlee was hired, there are no more excuses to be used.

Advertisement
Hence the reason I said last week that if Mike Harley is your best wide receiver, you’re in trouble.
Best receiver according to whom exactly? Or is this just more of a matter of who got more opportunities to make plays? What would pope or wiggins #s would have looked like with the snaps Harley got compared to what those two received last year? I think Pope and wiggins would have easily eclipsed Harley numbers if they got 331 and 194 more snaps respectively.

2019 numbers
Harley 38 catches 485 yards 3 tds
Wiggins 20 catches 335 yards 4 tds
Mark pope 18 catches 266 yards 2 tds
F51EC6D0-2944-4883-BCD8-2EA3C99647B6.jpeg

It's amazing how a good to great QB can make your WR's stars.
He was more or less the same QB the year before. BEFORE we faced them in 2018, many of us noted Burrow was ultra accurate and sneaky quick with his feet. He had a relatively "meh" 2018. The scheme and opportunities changed in 2019. He put in the work to be comfortable in a system with added wrinkles. The rest is history. It's almost never one or the other (QB or OC), but in this case, the primary change was the scheme.

Advertisement
And those players looked nothing like they did this year before the new offensive system. That matters in all of this discussion of what we have or don’t have at receiver . Yeah Justin Jefferson was pretty productive in 2018 however he was much more productive in 2019 with joe Brady new offensive system
Correct. Jefferson caught like 53 passes and their next leading receiver had 23. The same Joe Burrow who won the Heisman in 2019 and will probably be the first player drafted was still the quarterback in 2018 so, it's not like they just brought in a miracle quarterback.

Even more amazing what a good to great OC can do for an offense. Burrow was there in 2018, and the offense wasn't any good.
Absolutely, the change from an average offense to possibly the best single season CFB offense in order of importance to me went:
BRADY (by far the #1 factor)

BURROW

WRs/TEs
CEH
OL

Advertisement
Brady is a genius. He was a master at getting the matchups he wanted. He would move Jefferson/Chase/Moss/CEH/Marshall around the formation to get them away from teams CB1/2 and isolate them on nickel cbs/safeties/sometimes OLBs.

This. ^^

And I watched the replay of the NC game yesterday, too. LSU had 3 WR in that game with over 100 yds receiving. Multiple guys were fed the ball throughout the season.

Sure WR top to bottom need to improve...But QB and OL play as of right now are the bigger problem.

Advertisement
Go look at LSU's starting WR's 247 history and compare it to ours.

As I've stated, we haven't not been developing talent or using it properly for years. Justin Jefferson was a borderline 3 star guy and he's going in the 1st round in this year's draft for LSU. We have a guy who was the #5 ranked WR in the nation barely getting drafted in Jeff Thomas. Mark Pope looks great in shorts, while JaMarr Chase looks great in pads. We've absolutely wasted talent here since 06 and its' not even close.

I have a different outlook on this.

LSU has signed at least twice, maybe 3 times as many Top 150 WR's than Miami in the last 10-15 years. They have more hits than us, but also have more misses simply because they have greater numbers. My opinion is we get some but not enough highly rated WR's.

I'm a talent is more important than development guy (although development is still definitely important). But if coaches get blame for not developing a guy like Jeff Thomas - why don't they get credit for turning 3 Stars like Dorsett into a 1st round pick, or Hurns into a 1k NFL WR?

LSU has signed at least twice, maybe 3 times as many Top 150 WR's than Miami in the last 10-15 years. They have more hits than us, but also have more misses simply because they have greater numbers. My opinion is we get some but not enough highly rated WR's.

I'm a talent is more important than development guy (although development is still definitely important). But if coaches get blame for not developing a guy like Jeff Thomas - why don't they get credit for turning 3 Stars like Dorsett into a 1st round pick, or Hurns into a 1k NFL WR?

Dorsett - speed blinded the eyes of scouts. If they redrafted, no way in **** hes going 1st round

Hurns - UDFA

Both under the tutelage of Golden’s staff.

As mentioned before Golden could’ve done well here, had he got rid of his defensive side of the ball, namely No’D

That's why Lashlee was so high on my list for OC's.

Because at SMU he took a WR group full of mid-tier 3-stars & transformed them into guys that put up big time numbers & were the main catalyst into having Shane Buechele have his best season & SMU winning 10 games for the first time since 1984.

The game has evolved & smart coaches have found the loophole in the system to scheme the WR's open & put them in the most advantageous situations possible to force Defenses back on their heels. The 3 yards & a cloud of dust era is dead, even power run teams like Wisconsin & Boston College have evolved & integrated more tempo into their offensive systems.

Because the high octane offense have so many possessions per game 70+ plays, the old school ball control style play is only gonna leave your Defense at a disadvantage if you can't score, because playing conservative & not stretching the field just puts the opposing Offense back on the field & gives them more possessions to widen the lead in a game.

It's an adapt or die type game now & we've refused to adapt for the last decade, thus we've been dead.

The game is Basketball on grass now, quick attack, fast moving, inside zone runs & spraying it all over the field & using the deep ball to pull Safeties out of the box. The style of offense Enox had us running played right into the Defenses hand, it didn't force them to make any decisions, all they had to do was play double High, load the box & sit on everything underneath because we ran way too many bunch formations & they knew by the time the QB would be in his hitch they would have a defender in the backfield after a long 5/7-step drop.

The fact we never once had a 4-wide set of JT4, Wiggins, Pope & Harley all on the field at the same time was criminal. All that **** speed & we refused to use it because we had an OC who wanted to have a 1990's unnecessarily complex offense that ironically was the least productive offense we've ever had.

What Joe Brady figured out quickly at LSU was, we got a stable full of 4/5-star WR's, nobody in college football has the personnel to cover these guys, let's use'em.
The Tennessee Titans showed you can still win with an 'old school' offence - you just have to commit to it.

But yes, it's increasingly difficult to recruit / draft those players because everyone is playing some variation of a Spread offence these days.

Advertisement
He was more or less the same QB the year before. BEFORE we faced them in 2018, many of us noted Burrow was ultra accurate and sneaky quick with his feet. He had a relatively "meh" 2018. The scheme and opportunities changed in 2019. He put in the work to be comfortable in a system with added wrinkles. The rest is history. It's almost never one or the other (QB or OC), but in this case, the primary change was the scheme.
Which is why I'm glad the Panthers got the Brady part of the deal and not the Burrow part (with the #1 overall pick no less).

Dorsett had Absolutely no business being a 1st round pick....and wouldn't of had, if not for Pagano...

The Tennessee Titans showed you can still win with an 'old school' offence - you just have to commit to it.

But yes, it's increasingly difficult to recruit / draft those players because everyone is playing some variation of a Spread offence these days.
The Titans have one of the best OL's in the league & workhorse back that can tote the rock 30+ times a game.

We haven't had that kind of personnel since the 90-00's. When you don't have a road grading stout OL & you don't have a power style back, you can't run the ground & pound offense, you have to utilize the weapons you do have, which for us is always speed & natural playmakers on the perimeter.

It's been the classic trying to force a Square peg into a round hole at Miami.

Go look at LSU's starting WR's 247 history and compare it to ours.

As I've stated, we haven't not been developing talent or using it properly for years. Justin Jefferson was a borderline 3 star guy and he's going in the 1st round in this year's draft for LSU. We have a guy who was the #5 ranked WR in the nation barely getting drafted in Jeff Thomas. Mark Pope looks great in shorts, while JaMarr Chase looks great in pads. We've absolutely wasted talent here since 06 and its' not even close.
Evaluations matter too. A lot at WR. Akeem Jolla wasn’t going to be great if he’d done elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back