Takeaway from the coach’s roundtable on ESPNU

correct, but he got the OC (a relatively "old" man) to change his offensive philosophy and play calling.
I don't think Emsminger had much of a choice. It wasn't his decision to relinquish most of his responsibilities to Brady. He didn't make waves when he was stripped of his responsibilities and smartly so, as he cashed huge checks to sit there and look at Brady.

Advertisement
I agree with the qb part but also Scheme matters more than you want to admit too on the other hand in regards to the receiver and rb comment. You could have placed a host or dynamic players(tutu atwell, jeudy etc) in our offense The last 2 seasons and I guarantee they wouldn’t have been as productive as they were at their current schools. Scheme can make a big difference, look at how LSU offense changed and they immediately went from a mediocre offense that squandered elite talent to the best offense in the country. Wouldn’t be surprised if Miami’s offense take a significant step, we have very good talent at the skill positions(tight end and rb tilts the scale there) and imo we have good enough talent at receiver too but we ultimately will see either way next season

Talent level and stats/production are two different things to me. Atwell had more receiving yds at Louisville than Jeudy did at Bama, but is nowhere near as talented.

I think Lashlee can get our guys to be more productive and put up better stats. It doesn't make our guys more talented, it's just getting the most out of the talent we have.

I'm a fan of Lashlee and think he was a great hire. But I also think people are looking are looking only at the good and not enough of the bad, same way they did with Richt and Enos. I wouldn't be surprised if we show a lot of improvement, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

People want to talk 2019 SMU Lashlee, but not really discussing 2018 SMU Lashlee. People want to talk 2018 King, but not really discussing 2019 King.

Thats true, but if the HC wants out, the HC wants out. I've read he's been looking around.
I live about 45 miles from Stillwater, his "looking around" is how gets raises. He's a Cowboy through and through, I don't think he ever leaves on his own. As a Player/Asst. Coach/Coach he is the Okie St football program for the past 25+ years

Advertisement
I don't think anyone questions that some of our players got better while they were here. That happens everywhere.

I think the "development" versus "evaluation" argument centers around how much of that improvement is attributable to coaches "developing" them (whatever that means) or to natural maturity (physical and mental development) and hard work by the players themselves. It's hard for me to give too much credit to coaches for selectively "developing" some players that improve while they don't "develop" the other guys who don't improve.

I think the coaches deserve credit for selecting (evaluating) the right guys and having a good system in place that emphasizes the players' strengths. I don't think any coaches in football have any magic pixie development dust. Some are just better at selecting/evaluating and putting players in systems that showcase their strengths.
I'm definitely an "evaluation > development" and "talent > coaching" type guy. I agree no coaches have that magic pixie dust.

To me "lack of development" and "the OL sucks" are the Top 2 things that people just blindly throw out there with no idea if it's valid or not. They're so overused.

Yep. I've warned our fans that our defense will likely suffer statistically with Lashlee going at a breakneck pace. Hopefully, Manure won't get spooked and try to slow Lashlee down in order to make his baby not suffer statistically.

I’ve never bothered to sift through the data, but it sure does seem the teams that play at a breakneck pace, almost down to every single one, give up a lot of points too. I wonder if somebody’s done an analysis of this?

Maybe there’s a few that have bucked this trend, but just based on my memory and observations, I can’t recall of any right off the top of my head.

I’ve never bothered to sift through the data, but it sure does seem the teams that play at a breakneck pace, almost down to every single one, give up a lot of points too. I wonder if somebody’s done an analysis of this?

Maybe there’s a few that have bucked this trend, but just based on my memory and observations, I can’t recall of any right off the top of my head.
of course they do, it makes perfect sense as to why

I think there's been 1 or 2 that have managed decent defensive stats with their offense playing super fast. But the overwhelming majority have not. That's why a lot of teams have backed off the super fast pace all the time type of offense that Lashlee used at SMU. It's also tough to bleed the clock with a lead when you're running so many plays, which is another reason that teams have backed away from the ultra-fast offenses over the last couple years.

Advertisement
I think there's been 1 or 2 that have managed decent defensive stats with their offense playing super fast. But the overwhelming majority have not. That's why a lot of teams have backed off the super fast pace all the time type of offense that Lashlee used at SMU. It's also tough to bleed the clock with a lead when you're running so many plays, which is another reason that teams have backed away from the ultra-fast offenses over the last couple years.

I guess it’s hard to go from a super fast offense, and then when you have a big lead, to dial it back to a grind it out, use up the clock offense. You just might not be physically or practice wise be set up for the latter

'Sonny Dykes has a polarizing problem.
As the head football coach at Louisiana Tech, Dykes has built the best offense in the country, ranked first out of 120 major college teams in total yards per game. But he also oversees the nation's worst defense – 120th out of 120 teams.
"It's kind of a weird correlation that sometimes happens," said Dykes, whose team is 9-2.
It's become a tradition of sorts for coaches like him. Opinions vary as to why, but many of the most ballyhooed masterminds of offense seem to have an inverse relationship with their defense. For them, the biggest obstacle to success is not the opponent's defense – it's their own.
And not just this year. When coach John Jenkins employed the run-and-shoot offense at Houston in 1990, his team finished No. 1 nationally in offense but 103rd out of 106 major college teams on defense. In 1998, Louisville cranked up its passing attack under offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino to finish No. 1 in total offense. On defense, the Cardinals ranked 110th out of 112 teams."

I guess it’s hard to go from a super fast offense, and then when you have a big lead, to dial it back to a grind it out, use up the clock offense. You just might not be physically or practice wise be set up for the latter
Doesn't seem like it would be that hard, but it is. It's been cited by some coaches as a reason they got away from that Chip Kelly Oregon pace that a lot of teams had adopted.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario is the hire that would have been blasted by this fanbase (myself included) but probably would have worked. Guy just seems like he knows what he’s doing over there. We’ll see. Time will tell.

Who knows? He hasn’t exactly impressed with some of his in-game coaching decisions.

He would have been better than Manny last year, but that’s a very low bar

Talent level and stats/production are two different things to me. Atwell had more receiving yds at Louisville than Jeudy did at Bama, but is nowhere near as talented.

I think Lashlee can get our guys to be more productive and put up better stats. It doesn't make our guys more talented, it's just getting the most out of the talent we have.

I'm a fan of Lashlee and think he was a great hire. But I also think people are looking are looking only at the good and not enough of the bad, same way they did with Richt and Enos. I wouldn't be surprised if we show a lot of improvement, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

People want to talk 2019 SMU Lashlee, but not really discussing 2018 SMU Lashlee. People want to talk 2018 King, but not really discussing 2019 King.
Say it louder for people in the back! This is what I have been trying to say.. People expect the system to do everything.. You cant coach out of bad blocking and guys who cant catch.. wtf.. We either need to become a strong running team or we are gonna have to depend on these WR to step up majorly.

Yep. I've warned our fans that our defense will likely suffer statistically with Lashlee going at a breakneck pace. Hopefully, Manure won't get spooked and try to slow Lashlee down in order to make his baby not suffer statistically.

How could they not. Either Lashlee's O will score faster, or painfully, have even more 3-outs.

Either way, D is going to face more opposing O snaps.

Has to, or something has gone very wrong.

Advertisement
Back