Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
If Miami goes and gets a QB they have to get a new offensive coordinator. Dawson serves as both. The reason why Miami doesn't have a special teams coach is because we have two defensive line coaches. That means in order to get a QB coach, Miami would have to either replace Dawson, or replace one of their DL coaches. Mario isn't going to do that. So, just stop with "get a QB coach" nonsense. It's not going to happen.
Exactly!

He already had ****ed that part up in year one when he got an OC/WR coach in Gattis and had Ponce at QB coach.

Your OC needs to be the QB coach, or at least the good OCs are the ones that coach QBs.

Oh I’m just using words like “tamper” 100% because it’s amusing, I’m not seriously suggesting we break any rules. I’m using the term very broadly and loosely in the CIS spirit to refer to all forms of permitted back channel activity.

But there is a kernel of sincere sentiment there too…I don’t think we should ever break rules, but I acknowledge that the current college football landscape is the wild west, and chaos, in addition to being hilarious, can also present opportunities to those who seize them.

Just because someone tweets a commitment doesn’t mean they can’t be contacted. A player’s NIL contract with an Oregon collective, twitter activity, or media interviews don’t compel me to leave them alone, only their enrollment in the university does….I think.

I don’t really know, I just work here.

Nah, it's all good, I was also trying to be a bit humorous.

There is "legal" tampering, or backchanneling, that is going on. Whether that leads to a signing, who knows?

Nah, it's all good, I was also trying to be a bit humorous.

There is "legal" tampering, or backchanneling, that is going on. Whether that leads to a signing, who knows?

I’ll say in all seriousness too, it’s important to remember that the kid is the one who benefits from that in the end. We’re offering a lot of money and a great opportunity to develop as a player, it’s important for these kids to know the opportunity is there for them so they and their families can properly weigh all of their options

Advertisement
Pipo posted that Mario wanted Cam but Dawson wanted Howard, Cribby and a few others agreed. I'm too lazy to find it but it was a few days ago.
Yes, correct and I am pretty sure that was posted here first by @Cribby sometime earlier in the process or maybe it was @JayCane20 or someone else.

I am no insider. From time to time some info flashes across my way and I definitely heard that from some behind the scenes folks.

Well...he did...

But if he truly believes that he can go in the second round, then the "upside" isn't much higher.

PLUS, if you look at what his Dad said, they are hyped for that second NFL contract. And first rounders have an extra year option that the drafting teams can exercise. So maybe, just maybe, they see "low first round" not being such a great thing, at least compared to second round, which they certainly believe is attainable.

I will be curious to see how Cam does in the "picks up nuances quickly" drills at the Combine...
Yeah. It’s all about getting to the second contract as soon as possible.

Exactly! He pivots from plan A directly to plan F (which is to just get someone, anyone) because he didn’t have everything set up for plan B, C, D, etc. Hence, everything will take longer than it should’ve and I’ll be interested to see if this plan F will even be able to enroll for the semester and participate in spring ball.

Do you see this happening with other teams? Plan B, is what the Semenholes had, what Oregon had, etc.
Plan B is/was Howard. It seems like Mario had a Plan B but maybe just didn’t play it well. Ward simply visiting first probably would’ve solved that, but if Howard really wants to be at UM it may still work.

If Miami goes and gets a QB they have to get a new offensive coordinator. Dawson serves as both. The reason why Miami doesn't have a special teams coach is because we have two defensive line coaches. That means in order to get a QB coach, Miami would have to either replace Dawson, or replace one of their DL coaches. Mario isn't going to do that. So, just stop with "get a QB coach" nonsense. It's not going to happen.
They have this new thing that Bama invented called analysts. Miami could easily have an analyst assist Dawson with QB duties.

Advertisement
By the time we get a new QB, those nice **** and *** gifs will be old and saggy (YUCK) 😂

Last edited:
Hopefully we can get Will Howard or that kid from Liberty enters the portal and we look at him. He has a great skill set and would be smart to go to a power 5 school to showcase and improve bc he looks like he has NFL talent.

Advertisement
Look at the PFF. Right now, Pratt at 9th is the 77th pick which is the 13th pick of the 3rd round.

Even picked 9th, it doesn't make sense for Ward. I understand Pratt. Pratt likely won't improve his draft stock much by staying in school. 3rd round would be good money for him. Ward would easily move to the 2nd round and maybe 1st round for 2025.

Either someone is blowing smoke to Ward that he will go sooner or he's making a power play to leverage Miami for more money.
I’m hoping he is just playing Ruiz for more cash to save Mario lol

Sounds like the same thing that happens in our OC search is happening with the QB. I believe Mario is now on Plan D but it could be even worse then that if they missed on a QB that didn't leak publicly.

Yeah, I just DM'd with another poster, and I mentioned some "Portal recruiting differences" that Mario is not as good at, including playing-time guarantees (Mario is big on letting the competition dictate the starters) and short-time-frame (Mario is great at building relationships and impresses HS kids with his photographic memory of all their great plays, but these Portal guys just want to get down to business).

Mario needs some external structure so that his brain can laser-focus on what he's best at. He needs a coach NOT named Mario to be his down/distance/time/timeouts guy. And he needs to let Alonzo present him with a decision matrix for every time-constrained hiring and Portal decision.

Mario did a great job of figuring out his top priority Portal recruit, and he impressed the **** out of the Ward family. BUT, Mario was not cognizant enough of the time limitations and WHY a kid might pick the risk of the NFL draft over all the good things that Miami had to offer.

Mario MUST allow other voices like Alonzo's into his decision process. He must. It's how all the good teams work. Especially these days, it's nearly impossible to have a "do-everything" head coach who succeeds.

Bill Parcells was pretty good with the Giants and Patriots, making the playoffs 7 times in 12 years and winning 2 Super Bowls.

Once he was allowed to shop for the groceries, he only made the playoffs 3 times in 7 years, with no Super Bowls and a 1-3 playoff record.
So there's a "QB war room", but Mario won't listen to anyone in it (Zo)? Does anyone think that's a good thing?

Advertisement
It's too bad Mario/TVD screwed up their situation so badly. It could have been the perfect scenario for both of them. Somebody with TVD's ceiling with an elite OL and Mario's need to shed his "QB killer" stigma.

I've been wondering since the season if it would have been better/easier to fix the issues/relationship with TVD than it will be for Mario to get a clear upgrade at QB from the portal that doesn't come with his own flaws/issues to work through?

"It's easier to build boys than mend men". "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Lots of other sayings etc etc...

Last edited:
I agree with you but that’s not a QB coach.
Could be in every sense other than in game.

We could also get creative and pay for a "private" QB coach via wink wink NIL payments and have them literally live with the QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back