Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad ward announced. Not that he didn't pick Miami, just he ended this charade. It was fun coming here and reading the CIS pretzel logic on why ward hadn't committed yet.

Guys hear me out. Mario likes the number 29 so he is having cam wait until then.

Guys hear me out. Mario doesn't want jb to leave so he is telling cam to wait.

Guys hear me out. They want to keep the momentum of signing day so having him hold off till after.

Guys hear me out. What if Mario is messing with fsu and not telling everyone cam has committed to make fsu not get a qb but cam is with us already.
My favorite one was Mario was keeping Cam's commitment under wraps until after the bowl game as not to be a distraction to Jacurri Brown and the rest of the team leading up to the bowl game, as if Miami still didn't get run over by Rutgers

Advertisement
Question for the board. Where does Mario’s “QB killer” reputation come from? Herbert was a projected top draft pick and came back in 2019 only to have his best statistical season under Mario and proceeded to being drafted top 10

What other QBs did he have that he “killed” professionally?
Here's the thing...I don't think he's a QB killer...but he's got a bit of a reputation, even if its a little more nuanced to recruits and actual people in coaching.

A bottleneck in many Mario teams is the QB position. I think that is a fair critique. He did a good job with Herbert, but did not have an offense that suited his arm (Arroyo was so much short stuff and maybe Mario got 85 cents on the dollar of Justin Herbert and thats a knock, I suppose. Either way...its Mario's job to reverse this misconception. It has already stung him multiple times through two recruiting cycles. Anthony Brown kind of maxed out there and beat Ohio State, but Oregon couldn't score against Utah unless Kyle Whittingham let them score, which he did after 28-0, and with 5m left in the Pac12 title game. So, the dichotomy of Mario that year. That's basically us right now.

Question for the board. Where does Mario’s “QB killer” reputation come from? Herbert was a projected top draft pick and came back in 2019 only to have his best statistical season under Mario and proceeded to being drafted top 10

What other QBs did he have that he “killed” professionally?
What other QBs did he have that he “developed” professionally?

JB chatting with Mario and Dawson

pitch perfect GIF
Going to miss a third string QB...............

Advertisement
Advertisement
This was a bad miss. Mario wanted to sign Ward badly. I thought it would get done. Now there is a lot of pressure on the staff to salvage the situation.

Miami thought there would be an answer on December 13th and felt optimistic from Signing Day to Christmas based on feedback from Ward. As the process dragged on, people grew more concerned with the NFL.

Ward is making a risky (some would say ill-advised) decision due to his low draft grade, but it’s concerning we couldn’t sell him on development. That’s been a knock on Mario since Oregon.
You’re right in the optimism. The messages he related to our staff and the poor advice he’s taken tells me he’s a confused young man. Ultimately it looks real bad on him the way he did things. Good riddance and better off not having to deal with that regardless of talent.

Advertisement
I think the main problem isn’t the lack of a QB. That’s just a symptom at this point.

The problem is the ‘coach’ running the program. Unfortunately, keeping the root problem around only exasperates the issues and is gonna to cost us more eventually than just letting him walk.

So Ward also didnt want to play USC, OSU, FSU, or Auburn's style of ball? What he didnt want is to play in college.
I think Ward wanted to play in college this next year, but I think he was hoping to parlay Miami’s offer into a comparable offer elsewhere.
My read on things is I think NFL became strong option after nobody was even interested in engaging in a potential bidding war With Miami, knowing what we already had offered.

He backed himself into the corner and eventually chose to bet on himself over Miami.

Advertisement
Wrong. They recently approved for Fall sports too. Keep looking.

Wrong. Even the NCAA speaks out of both sides of its mouth.

Read the language carefully. A player who transfers NOW (enrolls in January) would be OK, but a player who transfers LATER may not be OK. I don't know Kaidon Salter's situation, I just know he is not in the Portal yet, so if he doesn't transfer for the SPRING, he might get boomeranged by an overturn of the injunction.

Reading comprehension is a *****.

Yahoo Sports obtained the guidance sent to member schools in question-and-answer form. Bylaw 14.5.5.1, referenced in the Q&A, is the bylaw that requires an athlete transferring for a second time or more to sit a year before being eligible at his or her new school.

Question No. 3: Does the preliminary injunction enjoin the NCAA from enforcing Bylaw 14.5.5.1, as it relates to an undergraduate fall-sport student-athlete who transfers midyear (spring 2024), seeking confirmation of the student-athlete’s participation opportunity for the fall 2024 season?

Answer: It is not certain at this time whether the preliminary injunction will remain in effect during the 2024-25 season; however, as long as the undergraduate student-athlete transfers to another Division I institution during the 2023-24 academic year, the student-athlete will not be subject to Bylaw 14.5.5.1 during the 2024-25 academic year. The student-athlete would still be subject to any academic eligibility standards required for competition that may be developed or modified for the 2024-25 academic year.

You’re right in the optimism. The messages he related to our staff and the poor advice he’s taken tells me he’s a confused young man. Ultimately it looks real bad on him the way he did things. Good riddance and better off not having to deal with that regardless of talent.
It's easily spinnable by him/his camp- not that I think the interviews will be super important in this instance.

He just tells NFL teams that he had several colleges interested in paying him NFL money to stay another year but that he takes this all extra serious and spent an extraordinary amount of time weighing the advice on all ends but that he always knew he was ready to make the leap.

NFL teams will nod and go back to whatever their Draft process is. They won't care for a moment about him stringing us along and Mario would look like a major butthurt weirdo on a losing streak complaining to anybody he knows in the NFL about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back