Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Advertisement
Going to miss a third string QB...............
You realize he’s currently the only arm we have for Spring

If he goes in the portal in the next day or so, without any other movement, we’re gonna be the laughing stock, and actually not be able to practice in the spring other than with a walk-on or jugs machine

Nah you are but that's okay! You'll never admit it. I know.

Don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension.

I'm the one who read the NCAA's bizarre wording and figured out that something stank. Not you.

Question for the board. Where does Mario’s “QB killer” reputation come from? Herbert was a projected top draft pick and came back in 2019 only to have his best statistical season under Mario and proceeded to being drafted top 10

What other QBs did he have that he “killed” professionally?

From the fact that:

1. He inherited Herbert

2. Herbert’s last season was disappointing. His average depth of throw was horrible. The offense had a low explosion rate through the air. And the analytics show they had 5 games with a negative offensive value generated. You don’t do that with a top NFL Draft pick.

3. He hasn’t brought in any QBs worth a ****.

4. His offensive scheme is not QB friendly. You can’t hide that. When you don’t spread teams out. When you’re constantly running into a crowded box to set up third and obvious passing downs, you’re putting QBs in bad spots.

Advertisement
If you take away FIU because of the obvious lack of talent acquisition capability, he’s been a head coach like 7 years. A top 10 draft pick at that position in 7 years when that’s not even your base position as a coach is not that bad.
Yes, and while Mario did not recruit Herbert he was his HC for two seasons. Credit given where credit due.

But who else? No quarterback Mario recruited at Oregon developed. He had to pull Anthony Brown as a grad transfer from BC. For all the talent Lanning inherited he had to pull Bo Nix from Auburn (who developed into Heisman contender and one of the best QBs in CFB).

I see the progress Mario has made and the rise in recruiting. Still, I question his ability to evaluate and develop quarterbacks. He doesn't have a history of success at this position.

Flo just said that we had Howards commitment from the first day he visited but Miami told him we wanted to go through the "process" which ticked him off and he had to do what was best for himself.

Miami was confident in Ward bc he signed an NIL paperwork.

Ouch gutpunch. But he did say since Howard is still uncommited nothing is off the table. UM will have to work to get on Howards good graces if they are to land him. Said there is a mystery team also trying t sneak into the Howard negotiations my guess is Auburn.
This makes 100% sense to me.

I never bought the Howard was free to commit narrative bc the only info being floated out there was about Ward.....which is why Howard explored other options and hasn't been linked to Miami since.

Don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension.

I'm the one who read the NCAA's bizarre wording and figured out that something stank. Not you.
I read it bud! Good reading comprehension and all. If a kid transfers here during the current academic year he can play in 2024 even as a two-time transfer! Pretty simple.

Can the NCAA change their mind? I guess. But that's quite an assumption and they won't because they lose every court battle.

Wait a second I just wanna make sure I get this straight - so in the conference realignment thing we’re talking about precedent being possibly set if they were to win - but here we’re going to act like a temporary injunction that is following all the other recent developments around player Movement is going to somehow get rescinded in the next two weeks, or not apply to football if Challenged- when literally every decision lately has gone in favor of the players and movement, and money.

Okay dude. Love ya but

You do understand what a temporary injunction is for, right?

Are you really trying to equate F$U's lawsuit, which will certainly be delayed in pre-trial motions and likely settled, to a lawsuit in which a temporary injunction has ALREADY been issued UNTIL the final verdict can be rendered?

Plus, I'm not sure if you understand the NCAA's language.

If a player does a second transfer and registers in January 2024, the NCAA will allow it. But if the case gets decided in January 2024 and the NCAA wins, they are going to go back to status quo.

Those are the NCAA's words, not mine. Don't get mad at me for reading them and understanding them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From the fact that:

1. He inherited Herbert

2. Herbert’s last season was disappointing. His average depth of throw was horrible. The offense had a low explosion rate through the air. And the analytics show they had 5 games with a negative offensive value generated. You don’t do that with a top NFL Draft pick.

3. He hasn’t brought in any QBs worth a ****.

4. His offensive scheme is not QB friendly. You can’t hide that. When you don’t spread teams out. When you’re constantly running into a crowded box to set up third and obvious passing downs, you’re putting QBs in bad spots.

6E7A5169-D4AD-4CE2-8BA4-7F8D35056439.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: E1k
Flo just said that we had Howards commitment from the first day he visited but Miami told him we wanted to go through the "process" which ticked him off and he had to do what was best for himself.

Ouch gutpunch. But he did say since Howard is still uncommited nothing is off the table. UM will have to work to get on Howards good graces if they are to land him. Said there is a mystery team also trying t sneak into the Howard negotiations my guess is Auburn.

This is what I had heard since mid-December. From multiple people.

I realize that Mario told a lot of writers something different, and I understand why. But that doesn't make Mario's spin true.

If Ward had missed his plane, Miami would have accepted Howard's attempted commitment that same day.

Advertisement
I appreciate Mario swinging for the fences but we needed/need a Will Rogers/high floor type transfer as a proof of concept to validate or invalidate the offense Mario and Dawson want to run.

You aren’t getting a kid like Ward based on NIL alone
Reasonable take here.

Offer him enough money to make up for hurt feelings

Advertisement
I appreciate Mario swinging for the fences but we needed/need a Will Rogers/high floor type transfer as a proof of concept to validate or invalidate the offense Mario and Dawson want to run.

You aren’t getting a kid like Ward based on NIL alone
Are there multiple people posting from your account? This isn’t a bad take at all. Most of what you spew is terrible.

As @apfenny3 clearly knew and people on here and in the Hecht were too blind to see, Ward was the wrong target all along. Never mind his daddy issues, never mind the fact he strung us along for weeks, never mind the fact he immediately visited FSU after visiting us and we were negotiating not to lose him as much as to win him. A kid that goes 5-7 including scoring only 1 TD each vs Stanford and Arizona is not going to magically lead us to a playoff.

How many drives did Knighton kill with his fumbles? Ward was multiple times more careless. They were 92 in TFL allowed, 111th in sacks allowed and 122nd in fumbles lost. You can put that all on the WSU OL if you want. But I watched several (5 IIRC) games when I thought Ward would be our QB, and was underwhelmed. Great athlete. Poor processing speed and bad decision maker. And he had a couple WRs who bailed him out multiple times, more than Restrepo bailed out our QBs.

The off-field antics combined with mental midgetry and on-field shortcomings were glaring. Glad we dodged a bullet. Wish we had moved on 3 weeks ago when there were more options on the table. Wish Howard was out top target all along and we never let him leave CG without committing. Now we're scrambling as much as Cam Ward does looking for a Hail Mary.

I'll try to look at this in as positive a light as possible. When someone from the program said the DL class would be one our best ever, a lot of us were mocking that claim in November. When the dust settled, we ended up with an A- haul. Wasn't quite the top of Mount Everest but it was still pretty **** good.

We've been hearing it as Ward or bust (btw think we dodged a bullet with Jefferson, we just had a QB who couldn't read a defense and it didn't go so well). If we end up with Howard or Salter, I think it would still be a huge success (and IMO, better fits than Ward)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back