Off-Topic Supplements

I just took a quick look at the article, not the study behind it because they didn't link it, but two big variables that aren't accounted for is the quality and quantity eaten. If you've got a morbidly obese person starving themselves for 16 hours, then glomming down a 3000 calorie bacon double cheeseburger and fries, then of course the risk will go up because overeating puts a strain on the system.

I did find this on the AHA website and it links to a PDF of the abstract, but without seeing the actual study figures including confidence intervals, there's no way of determining if this is truly legit. It also has this bit of disclaimer.

The study’s limitations included its reliance on self-reported dietary information, which may be affected by participant’s memory or recall and may not accurately assess typical eating patterns. Factors that may also play a role in health, outside of daily duration of eating and cause of death, were not included in the analysis.

Also not for nothing not sure if you follow Dr Idz on social (he’s one of the few I actually like) he thoroughly debunked this study

Granted like anything there’s probably a kernel of truth in there somewhere but 91% is so absurd you don’t even need to acknowledge it

Advertisement
Also not for nothing not sure if you follow Dr Idz on social (he’s one of the few I actually like) he thoroughly debunked this study

Granted like anything there’s probably a kernel of truth in there somewhere but 91% is so absurd you don’t even need to acknowledge it
Most studies are done by grad students just to get published. Very few pass a deeper examination and even fewer ever show the opposite of what the researcher suspected before doing the study.

Most studies are done by grad students just to get published. Very few pass a deeper examination and even fewer ever show the opposite of what the researcher suspected before doing the study.
I do social media content every day answering questions about this stuff and probably at least one a week I find myself saying:

1. The best thing to happen to us is access to all the studies and information

2. The worst thing to happen to us is access to all the studies and information

****** content creators citing useless studies with no context and people getting all in their feels about it

Optimum is always a great choice

They were ahead of the game on protein and absolutely blew up. Amazing company

I don’t do a multivitamin because I’ve found for me it’s just a waste of money. I’ve been able to pinpoint more exact needs and pick better forms of what I need
Yeah optimum seems like best quality/$. Their protein has good flavor imo too. And their micronized creatine I got has good reviews as well… multis May be a waste, but the Costco one is like $15 and you get like a ******* year supply…. So can’t really hurt. And may help just fill in any holes missing since I don’t have an exact diet kinda thing.

You ever tried supergut?

Yeah optimum seems like best quality/$. Their protein has good flavor imo too. And their micronized creatine I got has good reviews as well… multis May be a waste, but the Costco one is like $15 and you get like a ******* year supply…. So can’t really hurt. And may help just fill in any holes missing since I don’t have an exact diet kinda thing.

You ever tried supergut?
Multis definitely don’t hurt. I’m not saying it’s a bad approach

Not sure what Supergut is. I rail on the supplement industry daily for pretending we know the answers to gut health. It’s everywhere now and none of these companies know what they’re talking about. It’s too much in its infancy and “gut balance” is such a garbage marketing term

Also I don’t have GI issues and these things can create problems you didn’t have so I don’t experiment with them

Advertisement
Multis definitely don’t hurt. I’m not saying it’s a bad approach

Not sure what Supergut is. I rail on the supplement industry daily for pretending we know the answers to gut health. It’s everywhere now and none of these companies know what they’re talking about. It’s too much in its infancy and “gut balance” is such a garbage marketing term

Also I don’t have GI issues and these things can create problems you didn’t have so I don’t experiment with them
It’s like a high fiber/protein shake blend. Tastes good.
They have done some study with it, it’s almost certainly better than like AG1 and the like I’d bet.

But yeah there’s a lot of gut centered stuff now.. I feel like it’s just gunna get more and more important… and I don’t eat kimchi or yogurt, so….

The only issue I have with this video from Layne is the premise that Oprah “fell for” the lies. She has more than enough of a research team to know what is and is not backed by data. She chose to platform a feel good fad that deceives people into thinking they’re powerless.

Just thought I’d throw this into the thread.

It’s like a high fiber/protein shake blend. Tastes good.
They have done some study with it, it’s almost certainly better than like AG1 and the like I’d bet.

But yeah there’s a lot of gut centered stuff now.. I feel like it’s just gunna get more and more important… and I don’t eat kimchi or yogurt, so….

Yeah AG1 is trash. Dont even get me started on greens and the lies they are

Fiber though gets tricky but in general I’m a big fan. Most people don’t get enough fiber

There’s a particular fiber called Sun Fiber that’s really interesting

Yeah AG1 is trash. Dont even get me started on greens and the lies they are

Fiber though gets tricky but in general I’m a big fan. Most people don’t get enough fiber

There’s a particular fiber called Sun Fiber that’s really interesting
Be careful. As soon as you start talking fiber, the old folks show up and start talking about bowel movements and oatmeal and then the conversation devolves into raisins vs walnuts.

Advertisement

The only issue I have with this video from Layne is the premise that Oprah “fell for” the lies. She has more than enough of a research team to know what is and is not backed by data. She chose to platform a feel good fad that deceives people into thinking they’re powerless.

Just thought I’d throw this into the thread.

There’s this strange thing that has happened in our space where people are so dead set against people making excuses (which I support) that we kinda start saying wild blanket ****

People that scream it’s all about calories in and calories out I don’t think are correct either. They say well it’s just basic thermodynamics. Ok sure I get that.

But what I will say is there’s always nuance. I’ve had some observations as I’ve gotten older where I’ve known people that were overweight at certain developmental stages of their lives (as children or teens) and then now seeing them struggling with weight loss or weight gain later in life

I’m not sure what the specific answer is but I don’t think it’s as simple as calories in calories out though in general people lack such accountability that it’s probably better to beat this into their heads

I dunno though. Layne does a good job but I don’t watch his content

Be careful. As soon as you start talking fiber, the old folks show up and start talking about bowel movements and oatmeal and then the conversation devolves into raisins vs walnuts.
Those Metamucil commercials are powerful as **** man. Showing it going through the gut pulling all the “toxins”. I get how compelling it is.

But when I hear people talking about gut microbiota and gut balance I cringe so bad

Those Metamucil commercials are powerful as **** man. Showing it going through the gut pulling all the “toxins”. I get how compelling it is.

But when I hear people talking about gut microbiota and gut balance I cringe so bad
Fiber is nature's little broom.

Fiber is nature's little broom.
Only problem is a lot of this supplemental dietary fiber seems to **** things up at times. I’ve been intrigued about the Sun Fiber it’s a newer wave of companies trying to make better versions

But still not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing yet but good data

Advertisement
I’ve personally been stacking Centrum Silver with Walmart brand metamucil and Geritol mixed into an Ensure plus

In suppository form?
It’s the only way…

IMG_3168.jpeg

Advertisement
Do yall keep up with your bloodwork?

As much **** as I talk I’ve never actually done any PEDs and don’t really have any risk factors other than loving bourbon

Anyway I had a funny conversation today when I got my blood work back. My BUN levels are kinda high and if you don’t know about bloodwork that can be caused by a high protein diet

IMG_4121.jpeg

My response was:

IMG_4122.jpeg

Advertisement
Back