Off-Topic Supplements

JD08

Ready for Ska's fourth wave
Maude
Since @JHallCanes has mentioned supplements a few times, and with his kind permission to call him out by name, I thought a supplement thread might be worthwhile. A while back, creatine was mentioned and he mentioned it's also been linked to helping prevent cognitive decline since it helps produce ATP which is good for your brain health.

So today, I ran across this which explains that fructose might be harming our ATP levels. Not good for brain or muscle health.

Advertisement
My man. @AlexCane this is the Fitness Thread 2.0??

I will say holy **** I feel for anyone out there lost trying to find answers about health and fitness on social media

All it is is circular arguments meant to drive clicks

It’s BAD out there

/also take your Creatine. Everyone.

Arginine. Excellent for many reasons...protein building and workout recovery, good for blood flow anytime but especially taken before workouts. Just good **** in general.

Arginine. Excellent for many reasons...protein building and workout recovery, good for blood flow anytime but especially taken before workouts. Just good **** in general.
Only issue seems to be the body isn’t great at using it in supplement form

Studies have been showing Citrulline seems to be better at raising arginine levels than arginine which is interesting

However there is an arginine form called Nitrosigine, a bonded form, that fixes this issue

But I agree, long term blood flow health is huge

Advertisement
I’m here. Let’s do this again . . .
Shameless plug im dropping my first supplement next week it’s aimed at long term brain health

We can’t talk about supplements helping with Alzheimer’s/Dementia/Cancer things like that, but the literature is all there

I’m basically marketing this as a multivitamin for your brain

IMG_0758.jpeg

@JHallCanes and @AlexCane

Hoping you'll indulge me in a curbside supplement consult. Here's what I'm currently taking, please let me know if you think I'm missing something beneficial or I'm using something you wouldn't recommend.

Ritual Men's Multivitamin
Vimerson Health Glucosamine/Chondroitin/Tumeric/MSM
Animal Creatine Monohydrate Chews (I strongly prefer the chews vs powder... I know, I know)
BPN Strong Greens
I probably have one or two smoothies a week that I make myself, and if I do I add a scoop of ON Gold Standard Plant Protein.

Maybe relevant background: I'm 41, currently exercise 5-6 days a week (~40 minutes per, plus warm-up/stretch), alternating strength days (mostly calisthenics in a circuit other than dumb bell press, curls, and tri rises) with cardio (I use a rower). Generally healthy (knock on wood).

Don't feel obliged to respond if I'm putting you on a mission. Appreciate any insight.

@JHallCanes and @AlexCane

Hoping you'll indulge me in a curbside supplement consult. Here's what I'm currently taking, please let me know if you think I'm missing something beneficial or I'm using something you wouldn't recommend.

Ritual Men's Multivitamin
Vimerson Health Glucosamine/Chondroitin/Tumeric/MSM
Animal Creatine Monohydrate Chews (I strongly prefer the chews vs powder... I know, I know)
BPN Strong Greens
I probably have one or two smoothies a week that I make myself, and if I do I add a scoop of ON Gold Standard Plant Protein.

Maybe relevant background: I'm 41, currently exercise 5-6 days a week (~40 minutes per, plus warm-up/stretch), alternating strength days (mostly calisthenics in a circuit other than dumb bell press, curls, and tri rises) with cardio (I use a rower). Generally healthy (knock on wood).

Don't feel obliged to respond if I'm putting you on a mission. Appreciate any insight.
No worries my man I literally do this every day on Instagram answering questions (IG: supplementsnoop if you’re interested I do videos on this every day)

Thing about dietary supplements is they are just that, supplements to your diet. So you’ll have to keep yourself accountable on what you need to supplement with

Some detractors will say “derp derp just get your vitaminz from food supplements are yousless”

Almost all supplements can be useless when in the wrong context and they can almost all be useful when used in the right context, so despite what the internet tells you, there’s no list, there’s no best, there’s no top 3 or 5 that’s all just content for clicks

I’ll start with a few things:

Greens are not what companies try and tell you they are. Much of what makes greens healthy to eat are lost in the manufacturing process. Greens are in no way shape or form a replacement for eating greens. They can help people with digestion though which is up to you if you need it

Glucosamine and chondroitin have been around forever and I have no idea why. No real evidence that either do anything so you’ll have to lean on your own results there

MSM is a good one though. Turmeric is a little tricky…it’s good but usually we are using it for the Curcumin aspects. If you use any turmeric/Curcumin look for additional ingredients like black pepper added to it. The body has a notoriously difficult time absorbing Curcumin (and many other things)

Multivitamins are solid just don’t buy the cheap grocery store crap. Usually loaded with poorly absorbed forms (I can show you some things to look for especially with B vitamins) that have needlessly ****** things added for coatings

Keep up the Creatine and the protein if it helps you hit your protein target every day. I personally use it because I don’t like eating 6 meals a day

Had someone tell me supplements are useless just eat food yesterday I’m like oh great idea. Research is showing that 3-6g of Citrulline every day is having incredible results with gut health and blood flow, you need to eat about 67 watermelons a day to get that. Good luck

The supplement space is kind of a ***** because it’s so subjective to a persons life and diet but the marketing all promises some fix for everyone and it just doesn’t work that way. They do work though absolutely

No worries my man I literally do this every day on Instagram answering questions (IG: supplementsnoop if you’re interested I do videos on this every day)

Thing about dietary supplements is they are just that, supplements to your diet. So you’ll have to keep yourself accountable on what you need to supplement with

Some detractors will say “derp derp just get your vitaminz from food supplements are yousless”

Almost all supplements can be useless when in the wrong context and they can almost all be useful when used in the right context, so despite what the internet tells you, there’s no list, there’s no best, there’s no top 3 or 5 that’s all just content for clicks

Greens are not what companies try and tell you they are. Much of what makes greens healthy to eat are lost in the manufacturing process. Greens are in no way shape or form a replacement for eating greens. They can help people with digestion though which is up to you if you need it

Glucosamine and chondroitin have been around forever and I have no idea why. No real evidence that either do anything so you’ll have to lean on your own results there

MSM is a good one though. Turmeric is a little tricky…it’s good but usually we are using it for the Curcumin aspects. If you use any turmeric/Curcumin look for additional ingredients like black pepper added to it. The body has a notoriously difficult time absorbing Curcumin (and many other things)

Multivitamins are solid just don’t buy the cheap grocery store crap. Usually loaded with poorly absorbed forms (I can show you some things to look for especially with B vitamins) that have needlessly ****** things added for coatings

Keep up the Creatine and the protein if it helps you hit your protein target every day. I personally use it because I don’t like eating 6 meals a day

Had someone tell me supplements are useless just eat food yesterday I’m like oh great idea. Research is showing that 3-6g of Citrulline every day is having incredible results with gut health and blood flow, you need to eat about 67 watermelons a day to get that. Good luck

The supplement space is kind of a ***** because it’s so subjective to a persons life and diet but the marketing all promises some fix for everyone and it just doesn’t work that way. They do work though absolutely
I'll give glucosamine an endorsement. I've had two arthritic dogs and the difference between them being able to walk and just limping is glucosamine. The one thing the vet said was to make sure it was glucosamine sulfate, not glucosamine hydrochloride since studies showed the sulfate version worked.

Advertisement
I'll give glucosamine an endorsement. I've had two arthritic dogs and the difference between them being able to walk and just limping is glucosamine. The one thing the vet said was to make sure it was glucosamine sulfate, not glucosamine hydrochloride since studies showed the sulfate version worked.
Oh when you’re talking dogs that’s totally a different issue than humans given our GI systems use things differently

“Issue” with many supplements for humans isn’t that they don’t work necessarily, it’s just difficult to get them from ingestion to the blood stream at times because of our digestive systems

Glutamine is a good example. We know how beneficial it is in a lab or what it does in the body but for humans it’s likely beneficial only for gut inflammation since the gut chews it up

FDA tried to get it off the market when they were researching it for Covid benefits

Also I think some really stupid companies were making claims that it can cure hangovers (which it definitely helps but it’s illegal to make claims about cures or treating diseases)

NAC is awesome. And much like Citrulline seems to improve arginine levels more than supplementing arginine does, NAC seems to increase Glutathione levels more than using Glutathione

Kinda wild

Oh when you’re talking dogs that’s totally a different issue than humans given our GI systems use things differently
True, but it supposedly works in humans also. I could just clearly see a difference in the dogs. To be honest, I wouldn't expect it to prevent you from needing a knee replacement.

Advertisement
True, but it supposedly works in humans also. I could just clearly see a difference in the dogs. To be honest, I wouldn't expect it to prevent you from needing a knee replacement.
There’s no research or evidence that clearly points to it helping humans

Doesn’t mean it can’t make someone feel better, there’s just no scientific proof, so it gets murky

That’s what makes the space tricky. We don’t spend billions of dollars on research and the studies we do get aren’t always reliable

So we rely on anecdotal evidence, which is always tough

I will say for joint health and pain for the money I’ve seen some pretty cool things come out recently

There’s no research or evidence that clearly points to it helping humans

Doesn’t mean it can’t make someone feel better, there’s just no scientific proof, so it gets murky

That’s what makes the space tricky. We don’t spend billions of dollars on research and the studies we do get aren’t always reliable

So we rely on anecdotal evidence, which is always tough

I will say for joint health and pain for the money I’ve seen some pretty cool things come out recently
As a guy with a degenerative L5-S1, I'm listening.

As a guy with a degenerative L5-S1, I'm listening.
Anything degenerative gets tough. Mitigating the symptoms is probably as good as we can do

This would be a lengthy discussion but some things I like better for humans:

Boswellia
Cissus
PEA (palmitoylethanolamide)

Curcumin with absorption aids. Black pepper usually but one thing to consider there is the black pepper inhibits and enzyme used to break down medications so while it increases absorption of Curcumin and other things, you have to watch if you’re on prescription meds

Type 2 collagen. The type is important. Companies that use bovine collagen and say it helps with joints are stretching the truth. They use cow hide and flesh so it lacks type 2 which is found in joints. For type 2 they use chicken sternums. Normal collagen is from skin so it helps with skin, type 2 is from bones so it helps with bones

One of the cooler ones I’ve used for pain is Anandamide. It sort of Jedi mind tricks your body into triggering the cannabanoid system

One company I trust called Glaxon makes a Supp called Grit which is a good one

Advertisement
I'm so confused. Y'all seem to be young and working out. As a dude 'well over 60' should I really take creatine or other supplements w/o lifting? Thanks.

I'm so confused. Y'all seem to be young and working out. As a dude 'well over 60' should I really take creatine or other supplements w/o lifting? Thanks.
Creatine I believe everyone should consider. Some supplements you get from a health diet but Creatine you would have to eat an exorbitant amount of red meat

People are a bit stuck on Creatine as a bulky muscle building gym thing but that’s far from the truth

Think of Creatine as gas for your car. It’s used to create ATP which is basically how your body gets energy. It’s showing particular long term benefits for brain health and cognitive function

As far as other things it’s really up to the person and their lifestyle. “Dietary” supplements depending on any holes in your diet

As far as your age I’m in my 40s and basically everything I take is geared at long term health so I guess we have to check back in about 40 years to see how it plays out 😂

Things like Magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, B Complex vitamins (i put those in my product) are some I think most people should at least read up on amongst many others

Appreciate you. I definitely try my best to balance the diet as much as possible and use the supplements to help some teouble spots.

You hit the nail on the head with the greens for me. I find more than anything my digestion and general stomach health is much improved if I take them first thing in the morning.

Appreciate you. I definitely try my best to balance the diet as much as possible and use the supplements to help some teouble spots.

You hit the nail on the head with the greens for me. I find more than anything my digestion and general stomach health is much improved if I take them first thing in the morning.
Yeah I don’t discourage really any supplements but I don’t advocate a ton of them either the truth usually lies in the middle somewhere

Just because you’re not getting the vitamins and minerals of a leafy vegetable (some companies know this and do their best to add them in) doesn’t mean that is has no benefits. Just perspective

Gut health it a tricky one too

It’s ALL the rage right now but no one, not even people that make it their life study, fully understands gut microbiome and bacteria balance

So when I hear these ****head supp companies try and pretend they do I just cringe

Advertisement
Back