SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Duke was supposed to lead this team instead he folded in every single big game we played and tapped his helmet to come out at the most crucial times. Then had his whole camp stirring up **** starting with his mom that locker room was a mess (then again a good coaching staff won't let that happen) but there wAs no vocal leaders in this team Denzel was also quiet. Tracy is telling no lies

Protecting his draft stock.. Can't blame him. Still love Duke regardless

Advertisement
There was too much emphasis on him. I hope it's more of a team mentality this year; RB by committee is fine with me.

he is right, there are certain players last year that i won't name on here because I will get bashed and they are seen as all time great canes, but for them to be our "leaders" and constantly having their heads down and having terrrible body language, it sends a message all the other young guys on our team.

Duke. As good as he was for us stat wise i would argue without him our Win/Loss doesnt change last 2 years. He compiled his best stats/games in blowout wins and wasn't his best in our toughest games. Cant name 1 game we won but woulda lost without him.

Tracy Howard is always real in his interviews and I like that. But I've seen the team chemistry bull **** before and it's truly a last resort

My junior year of college, playing baseball our coaches tried that ****, coming off the first losing season in school history. (with arguably the most talented team we ever had).

Didn't work. Had a mediocre season at best. We all thought we were closer than ever and bought into all the coaches ****. That was just fwiw it's completely different sports but I think it will play out the same way here.

Tracy Howard is always real in his interviews and I like that. But I've seen the team chemistry bull **** before and it's truly a last resort

My junior year of college, playing baseball our coaches tried that ****, coming off the first losing season in school history. (with arguably the most talented team we ever had).

Didn't work. Had a mediocre season at best. We all thought we were closer than ever and bought into all the coaches ****. That was just fwiw it's completely different sports but I think it will play out the same way here.

The bull**** the coaches are spewing will have no effect on this team as the coaches themselves lack the requisite skills to be successful in major college football. If Duke was such a problem Golden, then why did you use him so much as the focal point of your offense? If he was a problem, bench his ***.

The only reason we hear this and the problems with the players being "entitled" is the coaching staff must have somebody to blame for their lackluster record. Golden never blames himself or D'Onofrio so he blames it on the leaving players. It's the only way he can come off with any credibility with the team and there can be no way to prove that it was the former players who were the cause of his losses. It's a very gutless, immature move on Golden's part. For somebody always preaching "next 40" you would think he would want to instill in his players some accountability. Instead, it's always somebody else's fault.

Advertisement

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I went through something similar during the offseason preceding my senior year in college, but the coaches didn't have much to do with it:

We knew we had a senior loaded roster that was talented. We knew the year following us was going to be a rebuilding year. We had a stud senior QB with a couple mid-major D1 offers. We knew we had experience, talent, continuity in the staff for the first time, etc. The graduating class ahead of us was very small.

On our own accord, the rising seniors set up a few mandatory team meetings. One of them lasting over 3 hours. Almost everyone said something. Some people got some stuff off their chest. We almost had a couple altercations break out, which were resolved in the meeting. We made commitments, promises. We actually followed through on many of those promises. Offseason training programs were more successful. People came into summer camp with a lot more confidence in their abilities.

We ended up having our best season in over 50 years, which was capped off with a bowl victory over a favored opponent. Since that season, our program hasn't sniffed that kind of success. It was on the players. Our coaches did a good job of organizing us, getting us into shape, running an efficient practice, etc. It was on us to make commitments to ourselves. It can't be manufactured chemistry. It needs to be organic.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I went through something similar during the offseason preceding my senior year in college, but the coaches didn't have much to do with it:

We knew we had a senior loaded roster that was talented. We knew the year following us was going to be a rebuilding year. We had a stud senior QB with a couple mid-major D1 offers. We knew we had experience, talent, continuity in the staff for the first time, etc. The graduating class ahead of us was very small.

On our own accord, the rising seniors set up a few mandatory team meetings. One of them lasting over 3 hours. Almost everyone said something. Some people got some stuff off their chest. We almost had a couple altercations break out, which were resolved in the meeting. We made commitments, promises. We actually followed through on many of those promises. Offseason training programs were more successful. People came into summer camp with a lot more confidence in their abilities.

We ended up having our best season in over 50 years, which was capped off with a bowl victory over a favored opponent. Since that season, our program hasn't sniffed that kind of success. It was on the players. Our coaches did a good job of organizing us, getting us into shape, running an efficient practice, etc. It was on us to make commitments to ourselves. It can't be manufactured chemistry. It needs to be organic.

Same thing with us, only lost 4 seniors had 21 rising seniors, multiple stud transfers, coming off a 35-16 record and were supposed to be even better than that. Ended up 24-29 even though we made it to the conference championship game.

Had a completely new team the next year and we tried the chemistry stuff and it just didn't work. We still had talent to win 30+ games but not near as much as the previous years. I think we went 25-26 or something mediocre.

We'll see I'm tired of talk after every off season the only thing I take from this is that it does Seem as if they were able to weed out most if not all the cancers on the team. Who the **** knows if that will lead to better performances however. I'll believe it when I see it

he is right, there are certain players last year that i won't name on here because I will get bashed and they are seen as all time great canes, but for them to be our "leaders" and constantly having their heads down and having terrrible body language, it sends a message all the other young guys on our team.

You might as well just say Duke

Advertisement
The issue I have w duke and some of the seniors (losing probably was the result of this) was bashing the team on social media. Keep it in house but don't use Twitter to be critical. Romberg used to say that if a freshman came into the Locker room entitled he wouldn't even have a single friend on the team until he changed. They straightened each other out. Shane McDermott talked about the bad apples in the locker room as well. Obviously coaching is the biggest issue, but you nesd your players to hold each accountable.

So....

If articles are written that we are doing things the same way as years past and hearing the same information, it's status quo and a precursor for another mediocre season.

If articles are written that talk about how things have changed and why we will see an improvement this year.....it's all talk and a precursor for another mediocre season.

Got it.

I guess it's fair to say no sportswriters should write anything during the offseason because it's a waste of time. Or, maybe people just shouldn't read things for the same reasons.

12 months from now you'll be uttering the same gibberish. Wake me up when El Foldo is fired or when he wins a real game

losing caused all this.

funny thing tho. everyone says tracy hates al and marc but he has been a defender of them for a long time lol

Advertisement
Lot of you salivating over this bullshh article. "Golden made it clear he doesn't blame the coaches for last year". The most telling part. Everyone talking about accountability. Zero from the top, give me a freaking break. Fired fat Al

the barry jackson column doing its annual preseason fluff job, I used to actually fall for this crap

Do I take the bait?
- Tracy is a leader and going to get it done?
- New uniforms and $$$ from Adidas getting some buzz
- AG lost 35 lbs and is feeling great

Not sure if all that means that Duke is Lebron and now the Canes will look like the GS Warriors. In fact I know none of that translates to the field.

I want to believe. I did in 2011 when Tracy signed up...but I need to see a win vs NE on national TV.

Then I know...

Advertisement
so what im gathering from these last couple Barry Jackson reports, is that all these high draft picks were cancers?

Advertisement
Back