SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

theibisrules

Senior
Tracy Howard says big change has happened inside UM team; UM football personnel talk; Heat trade talk and personnel chatter, Dolphins, Marlins

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Some feedback we’ve heard from inside the UM football program (coaches and players):

### So how can UM possibly expect to be better after losing arguably six of its top 10 players off a 6-7 team? UM people cite a bunch of reasons --- starting with an improved Brad Kaaya --- but we want to see it to believe it.

We’re also usually skeptical about believing that off-field intangibles contribute significantly to a team’s record. But cornerback Tracy Howard says one such variable has changed dramatically and insists it’s going to make a difference. It’s the accountability issue that former Hurricanes greats talk about all the time.

Howard said leadership on last year’s team wasn’t what it needed to be, which led to mistakes not being corrected and an emotional letdown after the FSU game that caused the season to derail.

“I know how we can be 6-7,” Howard said of 2014. “You got a lot of guys with a lot of talent. But when you got a team that doesn’t really hold each other accountable, you don’t really have a strong leadership. Talent is not enough. You need leadership, a team that is going stick together.

“Alabama is definitely not the most talented team ever, but they’re a team. They believe in what the coach tells them and they believe in their system. That’s why they always come out on top because they believe in what Nick Saban is telling them to do.”

So what has changed inside UM? “This year, guys are holding others accountable,” Howard said. “When the young guys come in, that’s all they know now. Nobody is slacking off. They have to follow. They don’t have a choice. If you don’t like it, you could leave.”

Lack of effort by UM players last season was a problem cited by another player in this space last week, and 2014 Hurricanes center Shane McDermott told The Ticket last week that some players felt “entitled” and “we had a lot of selfishness that we needed to get rid of.”

Shane McDermott said when he visited campus to see his brother (UM tackle Kc McDermott) last week, it was “the hardest I’ve seen them work in a while.”

Why the change now?

“Probably maturity, experience, [tired of] losing,” Howard said. “We came in with such high expectations: me, Herb [Waters], Deon [Bush]. We were going to put us back on the map. No senior has gone out on a good note since we’ve been here. We don’t want that to happen again. We came to make Miami relevant again, win a championship and go to the NFL. That’s exactly what we’re going to do.”

Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio said it’s clear that “our players respond to” Howard’s leadership.

The others who are now taking charge and not putting up with teammates’ missteps? Howard cited Brad Kaaya, tight end Standish Dobard, receiver Stacy Coley, Bush ("Deon has changed; he's stepped up and is making a difference") and offensive tackle Kc McDermott.

A UM staffer said Al Golden isn’t letting things slide now and has sent players home even if they’re less than a minute late to a meeting. Howard said Golden always demanded accountability and makes clear he doesn’t blame the coach for last year’s aforementioned shortcomings.

“I know a lot of guys give him a lot of slack but he knows what he’s talking about,” Howard said. "He’s definitely a good coach.”

Everyone --- coaches and players --- deserve blame for UM losing its edge after the FSU game and falling to two teams with less talent (Virginia and Pittsburgh). So what is going to prevent that from happening again?

“If you have your leaders go in the tank, say, ‘Ah, [bleep] it,’ then the whole team will go in the tank because those guys have the most influence,” Howard said.

“We really wanted the [FSU] game bad and it was emotionally draining on us. There wasn’t the same fire [after]. Once they see leaders… not having their heads down” that won’t happen again.

We won’t know until the season starts, and adversity strikes, whether this team has the DNA to respond better than last year’s. But Howard talking about one of the intangible problems, and players trying to fix it, certainly can’t hurt.

### One thing we keep hearing from several players (Calvin Heurtelou and others) is how much a difference defensive end Al Quadin Muhammad is going to make.

Some UM staffers have privately griped that he didn’t deserve the administration’s 2014 fall semester suspension for punching another student who was said to have incited him. Nevertheless, Trent Harris (a favorite of coaches) remains ahead of Muhammad on the depth chart.

### Some feedback on running backs: Not only do coaches and players believe Mark Walton is going to make a big immediate impact, but there are people on the UM staff who believe Gus Edwards has star potential, because of his combination of size, strength and speed, provided he stays healthy (a big if with him).

The staff considers Joe Yearby a game-breaker but believes he must do a better job breaking tackles and not settling for initial yardage before going down. His spring game suspension, resulting from tardiness, was viewed as an anomaly…. Trayone Gray must do a better job holding onto the ball and stop running as up-right. It was a difficult first year for Gray here, but “now it's going smoothly,” he said. “I know the playbook well. I’ve lost 10 pounds. I can be a scatback with power, too.”

### With only three experienced cornerbacks (Howard, Artie Burns, Corn Elder) and redshirt freshman Ryan Mayes, UM needs something immediately from at least one summer cornerback arrival (Michael Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, Terrance Henley).

“I like all three,” Howard said. “Redwine is very smooth, very patient, very mature for a young player. Jackson is very physical. Technique is sound. Henley can run. He’s a track guy. And Ryan had a good spring.”

There’s a belief around the UM program that Burns --– with excellent size, speed and arm length --- can develop into a first-round talent. Though Burns has been very good at times, he needs to consistently play to Golden’s confidence level in him. “I watch Artie and I think he’s easily an NFL corner; fast, physical, great mentality,” Howard said.

UM's first summer depth chart has Howard at one starting cornerback job and Burns and Elder as an either/or at the other.

### UM receivers are effusive about the difference new assistant Kevin Beard is making with this group.

“He played football here and he played wide receiver here. That's an element that's very intangible,” Braxton Berrios said. “He can relate on a personal basis to what we're going through, what we see. He's teaching a lot and we're retaining a lot.

“It has been incredible. We all love him. We all bought in to whatever he says.”

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

We are screwed....This is a real KISS OF DEATH. 5-7 this year fellas.

Advertisement
he is right, there are certain players last year that i won't name on here because I will get bashed and they are seen as all time great canes, but for them to be our "leaders" and constantly having their heads down and having terrrible body language, it sends a message all the other young guys on our team.

Great as he was and I will name names, but I respect and appreciate all that Duke did for this university, he forgot about the game when Herb went down I was yelling at him through the screen to man up and play ball. Im glad there will be a knew Identity on offense that will force the coaches to utilize more players other then Clive and Duke.

Very interesting that Coley's name was thrown in there as a leader. That's great if true. As for you guys daring to be objective/critical about Duke, that's a dangerous move around here. You can't say anything not positive about him without it being construed as some sort of defense of the staff by some people. These are usually the same folks that were steadfast in their belief that he was going to be a 2nd rounder at worst but I digress.

Last edited:
he is right, there are certain players last year that i won't name on here because I will get bashed and they are seen as all time great canes, but for them to be our "leaders" and constantly having their heads down and having terrrible body language, it sends a message all the other young guys on our team.

Who cares if you get bashed on here. Let's hear it.

Advertisement
trayone gray lost 10 pounds. staff bulking him up lol

listen, duke was great but Kaaya will go down as being a more important leader for our program. he recruits hard, he is represents the program everywhere, etc.
bottom line, he embraces the role.

Here's one instance where Alfredo and/or the staff should get credit too. They were able to keep Quan here when he probably would have been completely justified in telling the school to eff off as he dipped to any number of programs that surely would have been interested in him. That said, just name the kid a starter already.

Here's one instance where Alfredo and/or the staff should get credit too. They were able to keep Quan here when he probably would have been completely justified in telling the school to eff off as he dipped to any number of programs that surely would have been interested in him. That said, just name the kid a starter already.

not as many players hate him as people think. still, losing breeds bad feelings.

Denzel Perryman wasn't a great leader either. How you let your defense get gashed against Nebraska?

Advertisement
I love Howard gives interviews he give you the real on what's going on you visibly see a difference with the team right now. Lets just hope its carries to the Nebraska game.

Sounds like the 2000-2001 in terms of the players making everyone accountable, SOUNDS like it lets see if it actually happens, the practices i went to last year i really didnt see that leader in the team mentioned it a couple of times, the team did check out after that FSU lose, we have seen that time after time, cant have that happen, we aint winning every game this season so im hoping this is true

Advertisement

Duke. As good as he was for us stat wise i would argue without him our Win/Loss doesnt change last 2 years. He compiled his best stats/games in blowout wins and wasn't his best in our toughest games. Cant name 1 game we won but woulda lost without him.

Who cares if you get bashed on here. Let's hear it.

It's all the same talk. But Aguante is correct. Let's just say EF and DJ weren't the greatest leaders.

Duke. As good as he was for us stat wise i would argue without him our Win/Loss doesnt change last 2 years. He compiled his best stats/games in blowout wins and wasn't his best in our toughest games. Cant name 1 game we won but woulda lost without him.

VT last year

Advertisement
From the Palm Beach Post:

1. After Brad Kaaya, sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens consistently draws some of the highest praise from those inside the program. “He’s a freak,” said one high-ranking staffer, who said Owens’ never-quit motor and speed make him tough to stop. He enters camp as the favorite to start at Sam linebacker.

2. Freshman safety Jaquan Johnson, who enrolled in January, has been as advertised. Coaches describe him as highly intelligent and instinctive. “He’s got first-round draft pick written all over him,” another staffer said (adding that junior cornerback Artie Burns also has high-round potential). It will not be a surprise if Johnson, despite his underwhelming size (5-10, 188) earns a starting job by the end of the year.

3. Speaking of starting roles: they won’t matter much on the defensive front. For the first time in a few seasons, UM could have the ability to rotate two talented lines (this is one of the reasons UM believes its defense will be better than last year, and could be the best of the Golden era). The rotation should help keep players fresh and confuse offenses; depending on the matchup, UM could bring high-level talents like rush linebacker Al-Quadin Muhammad and strong-side end Chad Thomas off the sidelines to catch opponents napping.

4. With the caveat that snap counts are more telling of a player’s worth than starting roles, UM’s defensive depth chart – which is listed as a 3-4 base – has Jelani Hamilton or Thomas starting at strong-side end, with Ufomba Kamalu backing them up; Courtel Jenkins starting at nose tackle with Michael Wyche or Earl Moore backing them up (Calvin Heurtelou is not on the chart); Kamalu starting at defensive tackle, with Anthony Moten his backup.

(Full depth chart posted below.)

5. UM’s linebacker depth is worrisome, but those inside the program believe Raphael Kirby has made a big leap (and sophomore Juwon Young, who arrived last year with a college-ready physique, is ready to be his backup); the combination of Owens and Tyriq McCord (like Kirby, a senior) at Sam will be highly productive; and junior Jermaine Grace should be UM’s best playmaker (and one of the ACC’s best) if he stays healthy and keeps his weight up. Grace, who said in the spring he wants to get to (6-1 and) 220 pounds, is listed on the depth chart at 208. But … another high-ranking staffer said Grace looks “great,” mimicking a muscle-bound pose. We’ll see. Another thought on depth: UM played all of last season with just five linebackers (though it was clear the defense was tired by season’s end).

How about the offense?

6. One of UM’s key camp issues is to find the best five offensive linemen and let them gel. Right now, a high-level staffer said, the best five are tackles Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling, center Nick Linder, guards Alex Gall and (can you believe this?) Hunter Knighton, with freshman Tyree St. Louis the early favorite for next-off-the-bench (at guard, it seems). Knighton, whose UM career was sidelined two springs by a medical condition that left him hospitalized for weeks, has put on weight (listed at 6-6, 300) and appears ready to see the field. Good story.

7. The offensive line is the major concern right now; UM has little worry about its receivers (Rashawn Scott, Stacy Coley, Braxton Berrios and Malcolm Lewis, while largely unproven, are as good a top four as the Coastal Division has; senior Herb Waters will produce if he becomes more consistent; coaches are excited about freshman Lawrence Cager’s potential), no issues with the tight ends (Stan Dobard and Chris Herndon will see plenty of time) and is without qualm about its running backs (Gus Edwards was one of UM’s offseason stars; he needs to keep it up in camp).

8. Speaking of offseason work, Golden revealed that he lost approximately 35 pounds with a change in training and eating habits. He felt worn down last year and wanted to increase his stamina and mental sharpness. He arrived at the uniform unveiling party Saturday night looking trimmer, tanner and refreshed.

9. Finally, Kaaya is firmly entrenched as the face of the franchise. His teammates, UM coaches and staff love his positive attitude, the way he brings the team together, and certainly, he has the requisite skill. Those in the locker room last year, as we’ve written about here before, believe the negativity within the program didn’t help matters when the going got tough. The program has placed a major premium on team chemistry. We’ll see how much it helps.

10. One more thought: as we enter another season of football, basketball, baseball and everything else, I’d like to give a special shout-out to the Hurricanes media relations staff, especially football SID Tom Symonds and baseball SID Cam Ghorbi, for being helpful and professional. Not every program makes an effort to help reporters do their jobs (some will barely give you the time of day). Good folks in that office.

I've never seen a Miami team respond to a bad season by saying these things in the off-season, during the past decade.

Sounds like the 2000-2001 in terms of the players making everyone accountable, SOUNDS like it lets see if it actually happens, the practices i went to last year i really didnt see that leader in the team mentioned it a couple of times, the team did check out after that FSU lose, we have seen that time after time, cant have that happen, we aint winning every game this season so im hoping this is true
That qas my biggest issue lst yr. If you looked our team and said who are the leaders. You would have had no clue. This year, its clearly Kayaa, Coley, Scott on off qnd AQM, Chad, Howard ,Kirby,Bush on def

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back