Strong to USF

Strong is a better cultural fit at USF, than he was at UTexas. USF's typical recruit will be a lot more responsive to Strong than the spoiled, prima donna kids he dealt with at Texas. It's a solid hire, and it will further push the out of state schools out of the recruiting scene here. That's great for Miami, who can and should be able to consistently beat out USF for the project kids they want. This may be the best group of coaches throughout the state ever, there are legit coaches all across the state, not just in the big three.

Mcelwain a legit coach? Honestly I believe he's Muschamp level godawful.

I'm not 100% sold on Richt either.

McElwain, despite looking like the head of the Duggar clan, has done a lot with practically nothing. UF has no offensive skill position talent, and they are bad at QB. He's still averaging nine wins a year, two years in, and is one bowl win away from having a ten and a nine win season. That's not bad for a guy that came in to a program that had won ten games in two years. Do I think that he's Urban? No, but 99.9% of the coaches out there aren't Urban or Nick.

Advertisement

Because he would make 11.2 million over 2 years ( his contract term was until 2019 ) for doing absolutely nothing. He does lose some of the buyout money for coaching again, but not all of it.
But then he risks becoming irrelevant...better to keep going in a low pressure situation like this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nah, dude. Milking a buyout always works better longterm for your career. See Corch Radio.Turn down offers. Travel the country on a "learning" tour. Be horrible at tv. THEN jump back in. You only get the choice grade A head corching job offers then.

I'm not exactly a Chuckie Weak fan but I do respect the guy for jumping back in immediately and trying to redeem himself.

That only works for some. But for a young coach and a minority coach it is always good to keep working that way you are not perceived to be in it for a check. Who needs another hurdle to jump anyway? Smart move on his part. I think this is an excellent hire. And I said sometime back that this was the job Butch should have taken when it came available. The sky is the limit there. UM doesn't recruit the west coast as hard as FSU and UF. So as Smart builds the program those kids that have to leave the state to play up north will stay home. A 4 star WR recruit like James Robinson from Lakeland would be staying home and not headed out of state. It definitely can be another football power in Florida.

Group of 5 team with no chance of moving up to the Power 5 as the SEC and ACC are closed and the Big 12 wisely realized that the PAC 12 network is floundering and that conference's mountain schools will be ripe for the taking in two years or so. Face it, beyond USC (which is private anyway), no P5 Conference wants a "directional" state school devaluing their (mostly) flagship University brand. Judy G at Temple Terrace State could have tried to grab the Florida (Poly)Tech(nic) moniker, (think VT) but Florida Senate Prez JD Alexander swatted her like a fly and made USF Polk County into FPU (Ironically, UCF was once Florida Technological University (FTU), but changed its name over protests from the private Florida Institute of Technology (FIT ) over who was the "real" Florida Tech and politicians wanting to identify it with the Central Florida area...But I digress).

No on-campus stadium (and the Ray Jay is now waaaay behind Hard Rock), no hope of P5, your big rival is UCF. USF has beaten P5 programs, as Randy Shannon well knows, but it won't translate to a Big 4 or 5 situation. Look at the state of Ohio: SEVEN D1 programs and only one is really followed in the state no matter how many P5 upsets. Strong should have waited, plenty of vacancies next year.

Because he would make 11.2 million over 2 years ( his contract term was until 2019 ) for doing absolutely nothing. He does lose some of the buyout money for coaching again, but not all of it.
But then he risks becoming irrelevant...better to keep going in a low pressure situation like this.

Nah, dude. Milking a buyout always works better longterm for your career. See Corch Radio.Turn down offers. Travel the country on a "learning" tour. Be horrible at tv. THEN jump back in. You only get the choice grade A head corching job offers then.

I'm not exactly a Chuckie Weak fan but I do respect the guy for jumping back in immediately and trying to redeem himself.

That only works for some. But for a young coach and a minority coach it is always good to keep working that way you are not perceived to be in it for a check. Who needs another hurdle to jump anyway? Smart move on his part. I think this is an excellent hire. And I said sometime back that this was the job Butch should have taken when it came available. The sky is the limit there. UM doesn't recruit the west coast as hard as FSU and UF. So as Smart builds the program those kids that have to leave the state to play up north will stay home. A 4 star WR recruit like James Robinson from Lakeland would be staying home and not headed out of state. It definitely can be another football power in Florida.

Group of 5 team with no chance of moving up to the Power 5 as the SEC and ACC are closed and the Big 12 wisely realized that the PAC 12 network is floundering and that conference's mountain schools will be ripe for the taking in two years or so. Face it, beyond USC (which is private anyway), no P5 Conference wants a "directional" state school devaluing their (mostly) flagship University brand. Judy G at Temple Terrace State could have tried to grab the Florida (Poly)Tech(nic) moniker, (think VT) but Florida Senate Prez JD Alexander swatted her like a fly and made USF Polk County into FPU (Ironically, UCF was once Florida Technological University (FTU), but changed its name over protests from the private Florida Institute of Technology (FIT ) over who was the "real" Florida Tech and politicians wanting to identify it with the Central Florida area...But I digress).

No on-campus stadium (and the Ray Jay is now waaaay behind Hard Rock), no hope of P5, your big rival is UCF. USF has beaten P5 programs, as Randy Shannon well knows, but it won't translate to a Big 4 or 5 situation. Look at the state of Ohio: SEVEN D1 programs and only one is really followed in the state no matter how many P5 upsets. Strong should have waited, plenty of vacancies next year.

He took the job because no Power 5 teams wanted him for a vacancy.

I'm willing to bet Strong will be a flop in his return to the AAC, unless he can somehow get another Terry Bridgewater.

I'm willing to bet Strong will be a flop in his return to the AAC, unless he can somehow get another Terry Bridgewater.
*Teddy

Advertisement
His buyout was 11.2 million from Texas, I would have stayed the **** home.

Why?

Not if his contract at UZsF pays him zero for the first two years and gives him a 5 million bonus at start of year three.

Strong is a better cultural fit at USF, than he was at UTexas. USF's typical recruit will be a lot more responsive to Strong than the spoiled, prima donna kids he dealt with at Texas. It's a solid hire, and it will further push the out of state schools out of the recruiting scene here. That's great for Miami, who can and should be able to consistently beat out USF for the project kids they want. This may be the best group of coaches throughout the state ever, there are legit coaches all across the state, not just in the big three.

Not sold on a coach that's been a head coach for 16 years and has over 150 wins? So the only coaches you must be sold on are Satan and Urban Liar?

Don't forget Herman and Haugbhaugh they never won anything signifigant but you know they are gawds.

Not sold on a coach that's been a head coach for 16 years and has over 150 wins? So the only coaches you must be sold on are Satan and Urban Liar?

Don't forget Herman and Haugbhaugh they never won anything signifigant but you know they are gawds.

What about the ultimate gawd who's never actually won anything?

I think everybody knows who that is. His initials are BD.

lol at a comparing a guy who got fired from his previous job for after winning one title in the crappy SEC East Division in 10 years to Saban and Meyer. Or even comparing Richt to Jimbob quite frankly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
4 very good to great recruiters and talent evaluators in the state of Florida.

Jimbo
Richt
Strong
Butch

Each will get theirs on their respective programs levels.

I'm not necessarily saying add him to the list but if I'm an offensive recruit I'd sooner play for Scott Frost than McEltoof. Expecially now as the bottom begins to fall out in Gheynsville.

Last edited:
Not even all UF fans love McElwain. Read what they say about him on secrant or gatorcountry.

A lot of gaytor fans wanted to see him leave for Oregon.

Last edited:
Excellent choice by my alma mater. Strong has excellent recruiting contacts throughout the state of Florida. I hope he retains the current OC

Forget the school's state politics.
Forget the school's name change history.
Forget Ohio and it's 6 P5 schools.

If we agree that the state of Florida is a hot bed for talent then lets just focus there. Regardless of what you may think of Charlie Strong kids in the state of Florida seem to love to play for this guy. Kids have backed this up by signing with his teams on NSD. Like Miami, USF has the luxury of playing in a pro stadium. And it's not a private school. Now let's not down play Ray Jay stadium; Tampa is in Florida and has proven to be a draw for NFL super bowl games. So as competitive as it is for teams to get a Super Bowl game you can expect the upgrades are soon to come. With that said, it will be on par with Hard Rock.

There is so much talent that leaves this state every year, I mentioned James Robinson who UM has never offered and there are so many more out there. Strong got a 5 year deal and is the biggest name coach so far; So I see this as a long term fit for him. If that is the case, those future games will be no cake walk.

As far as a coach, we all know that he is an excellent coach. However, as a Head Coach there are so many other factors that determines a HC's success or failure. I hope that he can put together a good staff like he had at L'ville and line those guys up and play. Bridgewater didn't make Strong. Strong showed the CF world that he was a good coach way before Bridgewater came on the scene.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Him sitting out would be the dumbest move he can make. If he sits out, he absolutely comes back as a DC and his path to HC probably takes a year or 2 after that.

Despite his Texas failure he still has a decent rep, and needed to strike while he had a brand to capitalize on. This was the smartest move for him. Recruiting ground he knows and where he is well respected in a non power 5 job in a **** non power 5 conference. He has a chance to make a little noise and grab a decent job the next go-round. If he's smart, he'll limit his moves to SEC/ACC teams in the southeast where he can still recruit florida

Look for them to become more UL style, a haven for renegades booted from the SEC and such.

He's really a bagman, and a bagman wasn't the answer at a school like UT, who didnt need that.

Forget the school's state politics.
Forget the school's name change history.
Forget Ohio and it's 6 P5 schools.

If we agree that the state of Florida is a hot bed for talent then lets just focus there. Regardless of what you may think of Charlie Strong kids in the state of Florida seem to love to play for this guy. Kids have backed this up by signing with his teams on NSD. Like Miami, USF has the luxury of playing in a pro stadium. And it's not a private school. Now let's not down play Ray Jay stadium; Tampa is in Florida and has proven to be a draw for NFL super bowl games. So as competitive as it is for teams to get a Super Bowl game you can expect the upgrades are soon to come. With that said, it will be on par with Hard Rock.

There is so much talent that leaves this state every year, I mentioned James Robinson who UM has never offered and there are so many more out there. Strong got a 5 year deal and is the biggest name coach so far; So I see this as a long term fit for him. If that is the case, those future games will be no cake walk.

As far as a coach, we all know that he is an excellent coach. However, as a Head Coach there are so many other factors that determines a HC's success or failure. I hope that he can put together a good staff like he had at L'ville and line those guys up and play. Bridgewater didn't make Strong. Strong showed the CF world that he was a good coach way before Bridgewater came on the scene.

Sorry, you just can't "forget" huge factors of $20-$30 million a season in P5 Conference money. Correction: Ohio has only one P5 School, most of the rest are in the MAC with Western Michigan, the 13-0 team that is NOT in the CFP. The politics you want to forget insure four spots and 5 Power Conferences will keep an AAC team out of the CFP PERIOD Ray Jay? it has no future Super Bowls scheduled and is still over 11 miles from campus...BTW, do Bulls sail on pirate ships?

Finally, Tom Juerick made sure Charlie had plenty of $$$$ to recruit, staff, and advertise the program. Texas? Only a very few programs can match their bank vault. How is Strong going to handle doing a reverse George Jefferson? USF can give him Taggert's bus, but what else?

Strong panicked that he would be only remembered for losses and let his ego ("I'll show them") get him into a job that is beneath his skill set.

Advertisement
It was easy recruiting against Radio and Folden, Richt, on that point, is a different animal. Sheet, QB Corch Jon Richt is a better recruiter than the Radio/Folden ****show we had for the last 10 years.

They'll be looking for another coach in three or four years as they just hired a corch. I called it when Texas hired him, hated being right though. I like the guy, he's just not that good unfortunately.

This makes Miami the 4th, maybe even 5th best team in the state of Florida now. Great.

I'm not.

Look, I'm no Strong shill, but what I think has gotten lost in the miasma of "he had Teddy to cover all ills" and "He just crapped the bed in Texas" is that he built a juggernaught at a school that barely belonged in the ACC. Really, UL has been a MAC-level borderline old Big East level school that just kept clawing its way up because they had the best AD that the Canes ever had.

You can pull things out like they failed to beat the biggest teams, etc., but the bottom line is - Charlie HAD built a VERY strong team when he was with the Cards. Their D was VERY tough and their O had skill position players that complimented a very good QB.

As has been stated, I think this is good for Charlie AND USF. He will have an opportunity to do in Tampa (and potentially better than with Teddy) what he did in Kentucky, except, he will have the opportunity to lock down I-4 corridor talent. Trust me, if he locks down I-4, he could become VERY successful there.

Overall, having him there I think helps build a virtual wall to provide further disincentives for out of state school recruiters to live down in FL half the year. The caveat is that we need to be trending up. If we were the versions of the Canes led by Clappy/Blandy/Goldilocks, then this would actually scare me. We got Richt just in time! Gonna be fun watching how it all develops!

Advertisement
Back