Strong to USF

Advertisement
Look, I'm no Strong shill, but what I think has gotten lost in the miasma of "he had Teddy to cover all ills" and "He just crapped the bed in Texas" is that he built a juggernaught at a school that barely belonged in the ACC. Really, UL has been a MAC-level borderline old Big East level school that just kept clawing its way up because they had the best AD that the Canes ever had.

He built a juggernaut? Louisville's loss totals have been: 6, 7, 8, 6, 6, 2, 1, 4, 5, 3. The common factor with the 2 and 1 was Teddy Bridgewater. Louisville has not been a juggernaut before or after Teddy Bridgewater.

Charlie Strong's loss totals have been 6, 6, 2, 1, 7, 7, 7. Again, the only two seasons that were even respectable were the seasons in which Bridgewater was his quarterback. People keep saying that Charlie Strong is a great coach who just needs the right situation, but five of his seven seasons have been disasters.

Next year looks good for him because he has an experienced, top five dual threat QB and a remarkably soft schedule.

Look, I'm no Strong shill, but what I think has gotten lost in the miasma of "he had Teddy to cover all ills" and "He just crapped the bed in Texas" is that he built a juggernaught at a school that barely belonged in the ACC. Really, UL has been a MAC-level borderline old Big East level school that just kept clawing its way up because they had the best AD that the Canes ever had.

He built a juggernaut? Louisville's loss totals have been: 6, 7, 8, 6, 6, 2, 1, 4, 5, 3. The common factor with the 2 and 1 was Teddy Bridgewater. Louisville has not been a juggernaut before or after Teddy Bridgewater.

Charlie Strong's loss totals have been 6, 6, 2, 1, 7, 7, 7. Again, the only two seasons that were even respectable were the seasons in which Bridgewater was his quarterback. People keep saying that Charlie Strong is a great coach who just needs the right situation, but five of his seven seasons have been disasters.

Next year looks good for him because he has an experienced, top five dual threat QB and a remarkably soft schedule.

Can any team be truly elite or very good without excellent QB play? The closest we were to being good with excellent QB play was in 03' with Brock at the helm. We had probably our best D in the history of our program (certainly the starters were the best - maybe not depth)and even then, Brock wasn't as bad as some we've had since Butch left.

Back to the point...

To say that he was ONLY good because of Teddy makes me think the following:

1. Did Teddy recruit himself to UL?
2. Did Teddy coach up that nasty D?
3. Did Teddy recruit those skill position players?

I'm starting to feel like a Strong apologist and I'm not. I'm all Canes, but just looking at it objectively, I think he landed in a good place and he will be there for another 4 years until he gets a shot at the bigs again.

Last edited:

And people are right. What was TB if not the "right situation"?

Can any team be truly elite or very good without excellent QB play? The closest we were to being good with excellent QB play was in 03' with Brock at the helm. We had probably our best D in the history of our program (certainly the starters were the best - maybe not depth)and even then, Brock wasn't as bad as some we've had since Butch left.

Back to the point...

To say that he was ONLY good because of Teddy makes me think the following:

1. Did Teddy recruit himself to UL?
2. Did Teddy coach up that nasty D?
3. Did Teddy recruit those skill position players?

I'm starting to feel like a Strong apologist and I'm not. I'm all Canes, but just looking at it objectively, I think he landed in a good place and he will be there for another 4 years until he gets a shot at the bigs again.

Now ask yourself this: if Strong is responsible for the recruiting and coaching of TB and the surrounding skill players, why couldn't he even come close to recruiting and coaching any other QBs to at least a competent level? TB fell into his lap, and Strong parlayed that into two good seasons and a massive paycheck from Texas. Good for him. But if it was about Strong and not TB, Strong wouldn't average almost 7 losses per year in non-Bridgewater seasons.

Advertisement
4 very good to great recruiters and talent evaluators in the state of Florida.

Jimbo
Richt
Strong
Butch

Each will get theirs on their respective programs levels.

I'm necessarily saying add him to the list but if I'm an offensive recruit I'd sooner play for Scott Frost than McEltoof. Expecially now as the bottom begins to fall out in Gheynsville.
Lane Kiffin too. OOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEE recruiting in the state of florida should be fun. Kiffin, Strong and Butch shouldn't impact us. But they **** sure can and probably will keep a lot of lower tiered or under the radar talent home preventing other programs from stealing recruits away.

Jimbo will do his thing and hopefully Richt can really get recruiting rolling.

LOL at McElwain.

Advertisement
Back