Strong gone

How about we let Skinner say what flipped him to Miami:

Skinner went through the timeline on Thursday of his Miami Hurricanes recruitment. The relationship with Cristobal and Skinner predated his hire at Miami. It has often been said that recruiting is about relationships. The decision by Skinner to flip from Alabama to Miami happened when everything came together.

“The number one thing was Steve Field. Because he’s been on me since the day…Because remember earlier last year I committed to Alabama. Coach Fields was the first person to call me after I committed. He was the first person to call me. Nobody from (the) Alabama staff called me.

He was the first…The number two thing was them the hire coach Cristobal. I was the first recruit he came to see after he got the job when I was at IMG. That meant a lot to me that show how much…I meant to him because me and him already had a really strong relationship coming into it.

After he got a job here that helped seal the deal…The number the three thing, the third thing would be my family’s comfortability here because that was one big thing with me if I’m comfortable here and my family’s comfortable here I know I can be successful here.”

So it appears Field was the one who recruited & continued to recruit him, but b/c of the prior relationship w/ Mario at UO, it solidified the flip b/c it added another level of comfort.
I mean that’s what I said lol. I said if diaz was the coach we do not get skinner

Advertisement
How about we let Skinner say what flipped him to Miami:

Skinner went through the timeline on Thursday of his Miami Hurricanes recruitment. The relationship with Cristobal and Skinner predated his hire at Miami. It has often been said that recruiting is about relationships. The decision by Skinner to flip from Alabama to Miami happened when everything came together.

“The number one thing was Steve Field. Because he’s been on me since the day…Because remember earlier last year I committed to Alabama. Coach Fields was the first person to call me after I committed. He was the first person to call me. Nobody from (the) Alabama staff called me.

He was the first…The number two thing was them the hire coach Cristobal. I was the first recruit he came to see after he got the job when I was at IMG. That meant a lot to me that show how much…I meant to him because me and him already had a really strong relationship coming into it.

After he got a job here that helped seal the deal…The number the three thing, the third thing would be my family’s comfortability here because that was one big thing with me if I’m comfortable here and my family’s comfortable here I know I can be successful here.”

So it appears Field was the one who recruited & continued to recruit him, but b/c of the prior relationship w/ Mario at UO, it solidified the flip b/c it added another level of comfort.
He was obviously misquoted 😂😂😂

Advertisement
Funny how we seemed to have a back up plan for both OC and DC and Mario was just like…never mind!

I hope these fresh starts do better than the last crew.

He was likely to leave as of two days ago when he didn’t get the DC job, before that, who knows if he was likely to leave or not. I guess you’re saying that Strong was likely to leave so he should’ve never been hired last year? Wow. You really do wanna die on that hill. He was hired and still employed until the new DC was named and then he decided that was it for him (or Mario decided, or it was mutual).

You’re still not explaining why it was a “terrible look“ with any degree of logic.
There were rumors he was following Steele to Bama no?

Advertisement
Listening to the Manny/Feldman podcast, I understood Smith as being one of the deadweight coaches that Feldman was talking about. He referenced guys that haven’t previously worked for Mario not understanding and living up to his expectations and the only remaining person on offense that could be referring to is Smith, since Mirabal and Field have both obviously worked for Manny before.
Honestly I’d like to know what those expectations are…..and this is in no defense of a smith particularly, just a general comment. Good staffs usually have a balance of great recruiters and great coaches. Elite staffs sometimes have both but it’s not as common. Mario better not jettison all coaches who may not work quite as hard as him on the trail just bc of that, especially if they are great at the teaching part. Mario needs those guys bc he sure as **** isn’t scheming things himself.

I think losing Strong is a significant loss. He may not be the recruiter he once was now that he's older, but the guy knows a thing or two about LBs. He's also a "name" that people know and he's always had a reputation of demanding respect, something the recent coaching staffs lacked.

Would i have wanted him calling plays? Probably not. But i would have liked to see him stay for another year. It's just as bad a look to lose this many position coaches year 1 as it is for how long MC is looking under seat cushions for an OC.

Advertisement
I get that but if Strong here under diaz he aint coming dead *** lolo\
Bro this can apply to all our top recruits.

Assistants recruit on a range. If we have a bad HC or are a **** program the range is lowered. If we have a great program and great HC that range is significantly increased. But the great recruiters will hit more near the ceiling of that range while poor recruiters will hit at the floor.

Having Mario obviously helps. But just because we have Mario doesn’t take away from guys ability to recruit. And you just aren’t going to consistently get the absolute top tier recruits u less you have a good program and top HC….

I think losing Strong is a significant loss. He may not be the recruiter he once was now that he's older, but the guy knows a thing or two about LBs. He's also a "name" that people know and he's always had a reputation of demanding respect, something the recent coaching staffs lacked.

Would i have wanted him calling plays? Probably not. But i would have liked to see him stay for another year. It's just as bad a look to lose this many position coaches year 1 as it is for how long MC is looking under seat cushions for an OC.
He's a good LB coach but there are a lot of good LB coaches out there who are hungry want to be here and will recruit their asses off

Advertisement
What might be undervalued and might be more important is the dynamic within the coaching staff. Seems like Strong wanted to become the DC and didn’t get it. How would the relationship between him and the new DC be now? How happy would he be to be here in his old role?

So let him move on and wish him all the best. We saw what happens with Ponce and Gattis apparently not seeing eye to eye

He's fine. I don't think he was the homerun I thought he would be but no complaints. We did well recruiting DE and the players produced on the field. Wayne, Bain, and Acheampong really mentioned Mario more than Wright in their recruitment so idk. Hard to tell where Mario's involvement outweighed the position coach and which position coach actually pulled their weight on the trail.

If Mario was going to replace him he would have already when Roc Bellatroni was available. Dude is a monster on the trail, he almost got Bain to Auburn before he got let go by Freeze.

Became FAU’s DC in December.

It's a spectacular fail of Strong's hire, considering his former role at Miami, that Mario chose not to even interview him….

Explain why it’s a spectacular fail. Strong was hired as a linebackers coach, it wasn’t felt he was the right fit to be the DC. Again, how is that a spectacular fail?

Just because you say it is doesn’t mean it is.

You at least have to have a rationale. You dug this hole, now dig yourself back out.

Advertisement
Back