STRENGHT AND CONDITIONING COACH

Not knocking any of you strength coaches. But, can we agree “that” you do something and “how” you do something are different things? If not, every certified S&C coach would get the same results. We know that’s not true; we know that different coaches get differing results.

- an article on Feeley’s “core beliefs” (clearly not all) https://247sports.com/college/miami...-some-of-his-training-philosophies-128437932/

- video of Marquez Williams power cleaning north of 350 (381). https://www.stack.com/a/watch-miami-hurricanes-fullback-power-clean-381-pounds-with-ease

- here’s a sprinter, weighing almost 100 lbs less than Williams doing 353.

- here’s X. Restrepo (Midway through) power cleaning with absolutely atrocious form

is there a genetic component to max lifts? Of course. Is there a technical/coaching/instructional component? Of course. Will different coaches with the same level of education get consistently different results? of course. Trying to attribute all performance to PEDs, like one poster did, is asinine.

I mean, sure. How you implement something is everything. No argument from me.

A few things:
1. I'm sure Restrepo is a nice guy, but that's not how you perform a clean high pull (2:21). Also his overhand grip is irritating me more than it should; he should use a hook grip or straps. It's like he's not even using his hips. Frustrating. This is a better example:

2. It doesn't surprise me to see your video of a sprinter pulling the same amount of weight. Sprinters are Type II athletes with some of the best trunk control and hip speed amongst all athletes.​

3. Williams' power clean looked really good actually, lol. I think there's a misconception here: We use these lifts to make better football players. The amount of weight they're capable of lifting as a 1RM is important to drunk dads in the stands. I care about good form and proper muscle recruitment. These aren't Olympic lifters and we aren't training them to be so. I've heard every story in the book about "yeahhhhh back when I was playing I was squatting [insert whatever number you like] and..." Don't care. I trained Shane Larkin when he was at UM and he is still to this day the best athlete I've ever worked with.​

Advertisement

A few things:
1. I'm sure Restrepo is a nice guy, but that's not how you perform a clean high pull (2:21). Also his overhand grip is irritating me more than it should; he should use a hook grip or straps. It's like he's not even using his hips. Frustrating. This is a better example:

2. It doesn't surprise me to see your video of a sprinter pulling the same amount of weight. Sprinters are Type II athletes with some of the best trunk control and hip speed amongst all athletes.​
3. Williams' power clean looked really good actually, lol. I think there's a misconception here: We use these lifts to make better football players. The amount of weight they're capable of lifting as a 1RM is important to drunk dads in the stands. I care about good form and proper muscle recruitment. These aren't Olympic lifters and we aren't training them to be so. I've heard every story in the book about "yeahhhhh back when I was playing I was squatting [insert whatever number you like] and..." Don't care. I trained Shane Larkin when he was at UM and he is still to this day the best athlete I've ever worked with.​

You said it 3 times, but many may miss it. Athletic performance for nearly all sports involves HIPS. Worrying about bi’s/tri’s abs is silly.

You’re so right and I wasn’t knocking Williams, I was just showing an athlete 100lbs less than him pulling within 30 lbs. He’s not alone in T&F.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Those same 110’s scared the **** out of me not knowing his program, I also hesitated to comment — @apfenny3 also commented on them at the time. It’s old school, not scientific and universally seen as useless.

CIS posters love to talk about abs and bi’s/tri’s on this site. I look for traps.
Agreed with Ironman, the best conditioning is running 2 minute drills. Knocks 2 birds out with 1 stone and is the most translatable way to condition

I would say that Feeley is doing a very good job with what he has. He's competent at his job and it could be a LOT worse.

I'm also not a huge fan of the 110's and 300's from a programming perspective but you wouldn't believe some of the dumb circus **** S&C coaches at very high levels implement with their athletes. Doing 1-leg weighted squat hops on BOSU balls and curls with chains and all kinds of dumb ****. So if that's his worst offense then I'll take it.

I would say that Feeley is doing a very good job with what he has. He's competent at his job and it could be a LOT worse.

I'm also not a huge fan of the 110's and 300's from a programming perspective but you wouldn't believe some of the dumb circus **** S&C coaches at very high levels implement with their athletes. Doing 1-leg weighted squat hops on BOSU balls and curls with chains and all kinds of dumb ****. So if that's his worst offense then I'll take it.
So you're saying don't do half the chit Restrepo did in the video posted here. AGREE 100%.

A few things:

Right, S&C coaches (regardless of level) gotta ask- are you trying to make them power lifters, olympic lifters, mile runners, or football players? Run the mile, cut the winner.

Advertisement
Should be given his walking papers. What does DIAZ have to do in all this?. Like I mentioned before, we look small compared to other teams. It's the foundation of your team to be hungry in the weight room.
You woke feeling dangerous huh?

We didn’t look smaller than Clemson minus the starting WRs. We looked poorly coached up and unprepared.
21-10 going into score and D throws a 50/50 ball that Wiggins doesn’t fight for. Driving and D Throws probably his worse pass of the year up the rail against c2. Was still a game at that point. Clemson showed me this; we a still hilariously bad across the Oline against elite talent. A kid lining up offside I’ll never put on coaching.. that game ended up a blowout but I’d say we had chances to stay competitive but did capitalize for sure

Advertisement
I am a Strength Coach as well (MS, CSCS) and I agree with literally all of this.

It's truly astounding how many people run their mouths about S&C and have no idea what even goes into it. Also I've said it before but I love that he is implementing PAP.

Also, it starts with recruiting. Do you really think you can just train Pope to look like Julio Jones? Cochran had the easiest job in the world at Bama; people thought he looked like some sort of genius because he was training the best players in the country right out of high school.
From my understanding, under Gus he had guys doing HEAVY Squats and Olympic Lifts etc. 2-3x a week IN SEASON. No wonder Richt had so many ACL injuries with players under him.

What is the anwser to our problem. I'm open to anything. Trust me I'M on board with you all. I am concerned in this area and that's it.

Starts with recruiting. We are literally weak at OL and WR because of the players brought in. Two of our top WRs are 170 lbs. On the other hand Redding looks like an NFL WR right now.

Nelson looks like and is our best OL but he's the most genetically gifted. Recruit sloppy kids and you're not changing that.

21-10 going into score and D throws a 50/50 ball that Wiggins doesn’t fight for. Driving and D Throws probably his worse pass of the year up the rail against c2. Was still a game at that point. Clemson showed me this; we a still hilariously bad across the Oline against elite talent. A kid lining up offside I’ll never put on coaching.. that game ended up a blowout but I’d say we had chances to stay competitive but did capitalize for sure
He touched Wiggins shoulder pad and dude just melted lmaoooo, its funny now but not back then. Yeah that pass to Mallory was bad, it was the finisher!! I don't need to see Clark play again at Miami, dude just isn't it. Guard play has been brutal

He touched Wiggins shoulder pad and dude just melted lmaoooo, its funny now but not back then. Yeah that pass to Mallory was bad, it was the finisher!! I don't need to see Clark play again at Miami, dude just isn't it. Guard play has been brutal
Been telling ppl 60 and 53..60 needs to be at guard. 53 needs to RS 2 years. They ******* up ppls bread years with this bull****

Advertisement
Back