STRENGHT AND CONDITIONING COACH

Advertisement
I am a Strength Coach as well (MS, CSCS) and I agree with literally all of this.

It's truly astounding how many people run their mouths about S&C and have no idea what even goes into it. Also I've said it before but I love that he is implementing PAP.

Also, it starts with recruiting. Do you really think you can just train Pope to look like Julio Jones? Cochran had the easiest job in the world at Bama; people thought he looked like some sort of genius because he was training the best players in the country right out of high school.
Not knocking any of you strength coaches. But, can we agree “that” you do something and “how” you do something are different things? If not, every certified S&C coach would get the same results. We know that’s not true; we know that different coaches get differing results.

- an article on Feeley’s “core beliefs” (clearly not all) https://247sports.com/college/miami...-some-of-his-training-philosophies-128437932/

- video of Marquez Williams power cleaning north of 350 (381). https://www.stack.com/a/watch-miami-hurricanes-fullback-power-clean-381-pounds-with-ease

- here’s a sprinter, weighing almost 100 lbs less than Williams doing 353.

- here’s X. Restrepo (Midway through) power cleaning with absolutely atrocious form

is there a genetic component to max lifts? Of course. Is there a technical/coaching/instructional component? Of course. Will different coaches with the same level of education get consistently different results? of course. Trying to attribute all performance to PEDs, like one poster did, is asinine.

We didn’t look smaller than Clemson minus the starting WRs. We looked poorly coached up and unprepared.
our coaching staff is pathetic and it starts at the top. Manny wasn't ready and hasn't learned much from last season or his predecessors. Way too many canned excuses that forward an acceptance of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not knocking any of you strength coaches. But, can we agree “that” you do something and “how” you do something are different things? If not, every certified S&C coach would get the same results. We know that’s not true; we know that different coaches get differing results.

- an article on Feeley’s “core beliefs” (clearly not all) https://247sports.com/college/miami...-some-of-his-training-philosophies-128437932/

- video of Marquez Williams power cleaning north of 350 (381). https://www.stack.com/a/watch-miami-hurricanes-fullback-power-clean-381-pounds-with-ease

- here’s a sprinter, weighing almost 100 lbs less than Williams doing 353.

- here’s X. Restrepo (Midway through) power cleaning with absolutely atrocious form

is there a genetic component to max lifts? Of course. Is there a technical/coaching/instructional component? Of course. Will different coaches with the same level of education get consistently different results? of course. Trying to attribute all performance to PEDs, like one poster did, is asinine.

Clemson was caught red handed juicing before title game a couple of years ago. Clemson and Alabama look substantially bigger than everyone else. There is a reason for that, and no it’s not because they recruit at a high level.

We can pick out an individual player here or there who hasn’t developed physically, and the Oline and interior D line have had some tough games... but I’m not sure if that’s an indictment of the S&C coach.... especially in lite of the changes to the offseason programs due to Covid.

@hydro66 is a good poster, so I don't get the hate, but from a size perspective, our receivers definitely look small. Nobody is gassed in the fourth in humid South Florida, so conditioning is just fine. We also emphasize speed over bulk because that's what high schools produce around here. That's why Wisconsin has big guys with no vowels in their names.

I am a Strength Coach as well (MS, CSCS) and I agree with literally all of this.

It's truly astounding how many people run their mouths about S&C and have no idea what even goes into it. Also I've said it before but I love that he is implementing PAP.

Also, it starts with recruiting. Do you really think you can just train Pope to look like Julio Jones? Cochran had the easiest job in the world at Bama; people thought he looked like some sort of genius because he was training the best players in the country right out of high school.
Fellow S&C Coach here (USAW, RPR).

Cokeran could've handed those guys a shake weight and bowflex and won a natty. Bama was happy to see him go and Dr. Rhea's crew are doing god's work.

Hated hearing Feeley/Diaz take such a strong approach to 300's and 110's. Useless tools in football. "Conditioning" in that sense isn't going to make you better at football.

I think fans fail to realize there's a baseline strength # to get to during absolute strength (by position) and after that you move on to power-speed. I'm obviously a triphasic fan for sports performance. During the season their model will have you reset multiple times but no one is 1RM hardly at all anymore (Boise St model of 3RM on hang clean, 5RM on B Squat) and NO ONE is doing it in-season.

Advertisement
Clemson was caught red handed juicing before title game a couple of years ago. Clemson and Alabama look substantially bigger than everyone else. There is a reason for that, and no it’s not because they recruit at a high level.
This is silly. It’s a canard. It‘s the anthem of the weak. It’s an excuse.

Clemson or Alabama’s supposed “size” advantage has nothing to do with why Miami‘s OL can’t get a push and why Miami seems to give up a 10 yard play on every down (hyperbole). And that’s to ACC schools not named Clemson and a few G5 schools.

B1G schools ”seem” bigger than everyone else — and though I’m not naive enough to say that PEDs don’t exist, I’m not stupid enough to believe that performance/speed/strength is solely due to PED use. The concept is absurd.

Lastly, recruiting at a high level is EXACTLY the reason why a school might seem bigger. “Better” athletes are the athletes with the most upside or the ones closest to a higher perceived optimal limit, while lesser athletes are the ones who are maxed out at a lesser performance level or incapable of progressing to an elite level.

Cokeran could've handed those guys a shake weight and bowflex and won a natty. Bama was happy to see him go and Dr. Rhea's crew are doing god's work.

Hated hearing Feeley/Diaz take such a strong approach to 300's and 110's. Useless tools in football. "Conditioning" in that sense isn't going to make you better at football.

I think fans fail to realize there's a baseline strength # to get to during absolute strength (by position) and after that you move on to power-speed. I'm obviously a triphasic fan for sports performance. During the season their model will have you reset multiple times but no one is 1RM hardly at all anymore (Boise St model of 3RM on hang clean, 5RM on B Squat) and NO ONE is doing it in-season.
EXACTLY!!!

Beyond the approach to the 300s and 110s, what is your general view on what you know about our S&C?

This is silly. It’s a canard. It‘s the anthem of the weak. It’s an excuse.

Clemson or Alabama’s supposed “size” advantage has nothing to do with why Miami‘s OL can’t get a push and why Miami seems to give up a 10 yard play on every down (hyperbole). And that’s to ACC schools not named Clemson and a few G5 schools.

B1G schools ”seem” bigger than everyone else — and though I’m not naive enough to say that PEDs don’t exist, I’m not stupid enough to believe that performance/speed/strength is solely due to PED use. The concept is absurd.

Lastly, recruiting at a high level is EXACTLY the reason why a school might seem bigger. “Better” athletes are the athletes with the most upside or the ones closest to a higher perceived optimal limit, while lesser athletes are the ones who are maxed out at a lesser performance level or incapable of progressing to an elite level.
Disagree completely. I’m also not making excuses for our o line not getting push. I’m strictly talking about the big 4 looking like NFL teams year in and year out.

Advertisement
Beyond the approach to the 300s and 110s, what is your general view on what you know about our S&C?
I know the same chit that's in random 247 articles or that I see posted on YouTube. Definitely not enough to make an educated statement about someone else's programming.

The 247 article posted even mentions those **** 110's though. Wrong energy system for football outside of a few track stars, no one is getting faster doing them as an after workout "conditioning" and conditioning IMO should be done closer to the start of the season, not as a GPE to your S&C program.

My 2cents on football condo... go play football. Run a bandit period on air, try to snap the ball every 35 seconds and run the play (OL drive prowlers 5 yards, TE/WR's run the concept, RB and QB do what you do on said play). Get up to the line, timer goes off at 30, run it again (get ball, score, switch out skill who scored).

In 2020: Football is 5sec plays every 30-35sec, 6 plays / drive about 12 drives / game. Players spend hours standing around to play for like 6 min

Look; I got killed last season when I said the off season photos ain’t matching what we’re seeing. But our players are getting drug down field and often. We are not an explosive team, and I questioned the sincerity of how many guys were being clocked at “20 mphs.”

I’m not sure what to think, but I got ?’s.

Ive been asking the same thing and I get killed every time. Nobody has given me an actual a answer why it’s happening though, or why shirtless pics decide what S&C coach is the best

Disagree completely. I’m also not making excuses for our o line not getting push. I’m strictly talking about the big 4 looking like NFL teams year in and year out.
When I look at Iowa or Wisconsin or Stanford or Oregon and a few others, they stack up against either of those schools on size, to me. And, AL does not stick out in the SEC. Not to me they don’t.

Advertisement
When I look at Iowa or Wisconsin or Stanford or Oregon and a few others, they stack up against either of those schools on size, to me. And, AL does not stick out in the SEC. Not to me they don’t.
Any idea why the **** Turley was fired at Stanford? I've never found any info more than "a player complaint"

I know the same chit that's in random 247 articles or that I see posted on YouTube. Definitely not enough to make an educated statement about someone else's programming.

The 247 article posted even mentions those **** 110's though. Wrong energy system for football outside of a few track stars, no one is getting faster doing them as an after workout "conditioning" and conditioning IMO should be done closer to the start of the season, not as a GPE to your S&C program.

My 2cents on football condo... go play football. Run a bandit period on air, try to snap the ball every 35 seconds and run the play (OL drive prowlers 5 yards, TE/WR's run the concept, RB and QB do what you do on said play). Get up to the line, timer goes off at 30, run it again (get ball, score, switch out skill who scored).

In 2020: Football is 5sec plays every 30-35sec, 6 plays / drive about 12 drives / game. Players spend hours standing around to play for like 6 min
Those same 110’s scared the **** out of me not knowing his program, I also hesitated to comment — @apfenny3 also commented on them at the time. It’s old school, not scientific and universally seen as useless.

CIS posters love to talk about abs and bi’s/tri’s on this site. I look for traps.

Any idea why the **** Turley was fired at Stanford? I've never found any info more than "a player complaint"
No idea, and NOBODY pushed Stanford around. In fact, they had one of the better O-lines for years. I read an article on him…he pays ZERO attention to max lifts. ZERO. His entire program is position specific and unique to each athlete.

No idea, and NOBODY pushed Stanford around. In fact, they had one of the better O-lines for years. I read an article on him…he pays ZERO attention to max lifts. ZERO. His entire program is position specific and unique to each athlete.
Yeah he was/is a genius in the weight room. Freshmen don't touch a weight all summer. They get healthy from their PT that jacked them up and learn proper movement patterns. 0 focus on 1RM. All power, speed, COD/agility (and not those **** ladders) and the big ones of flex-mob-stab. I loved their weight room stuff when he was there.

Advertisement
Back