STRENGHT AND CONDITIONING COACH

From my understanding, under Gus he had guys doing HEAVY Squats and Olympic Lifts etc. 2-3x a week IN SEASON. No wonder Richt had so many ACL injuries with players under him.
That's actually not wrong.

The entire purpose of periodization is to build up the athlete over a planned program with timing to be as explosive as possible at the start of their season, while trying to maintain that explosiveness as much as possible during the season.

Put simply, it would look something like neural introductory phase -> hypertrophy endurance/conditioning -> strength -> power. We WANT our guys to be explosive in-season. There's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about lifting heavy while in-season. The added advantage of Olympic lifting is that it's explosive by nature so it continues to train the nervous system, but there's very little time under tension so you're not wearing guys down. It's an explosive concentric movement which can be immediately dropped.

The only thing to be considerate of is overtraining. A good coach should be able to track their players while in-season to determine how much or how little they should be doing.

A lot of the non-contact ACL problems can be attributed to a lack of hamstring development (specifically knee-flexion work, so leg curls over RDLs) and an over-emphasis of quad-dominant movements like squatting too much.

Advertisement
agree what technique ( Carter) - but also our coaches put our players in tough situations : when you have a safety covering a slot like Tutu and he is off 10 yards, puts a lot of stress on your tackling ability :
Imagine not covering slot WR with a CB...

@hydro66 is a good poster, so I don't get the hate, but from a size perspective, our receivers definitely look small. Nobody is gassed in the fourth in humid South Florida, so conditioning is just fine. We also emphasize speed over bulk because that's what high schools produce around here. That's why Wisconsin has big guys with no vowels in their names.
Thanks my friend, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. Probably it came out wrong. Thanks again

Advertisement
Feeley hasn’t been an issue we look the way we should we just don’t play the way we should haha

Ive been asking the same thing and I get killed every time. Nobody has given me an actual a answer why it’s happening though, or why shirtless pics decide what S&C coach is the best
We’ve been boasting shirtless pics for a minute now. ****, we were all praising Fat Cat Gus Felder & the shirtless pics during his regime. I just see if we don’t gang tackle, and when I mean gang tackle, I mean at least 4 guys....our guys are being carried for another 3-5 yrds which is crucial.

Who is the last 5 star fan that we’ve signed? Gotta be LCE right? Cause we haven’t developed a good fan on this site in a long time lol

Excuse Me What GIF

Advertisement
Look; I got killed last season when I said the off season photos ain’t matching what we’re seeing. But our players are getting drug down field and often. We are not an explosive team, and I questioned the sincerity of how many guys were being clocked at “20 mphs.”

I’m not sure what to think, but I got ?’s.
This!^^^ 💯

Recruit the players that framed are gifted. U not getting Harley or Pope jacked even if they went to LSU. Recruit the monsters they come ready

Advertisement
BEFORE IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE MIAMI WILL HAVE TO FIRE EVERYBODY!! 5-1 I sure hope Manny has his team ready to finish off the season, because if they lose I will not be ability to take this board!!

The players will look bigger when we recruit bigger bodies. The Stoutland OL looked bigger and more imposing than any group in the country, and it had nothing to do with Swasey.

Those same 110’s scared the **** out of me not knowing his program, I also hesitated to comment — @apfenny3 also commented on them at the time. It’s old school, not scientific and universally seen as useless.

CIS posters love to talk about abs and bi’s/tri’s on this site. I look for traps.
I posted at the time I hated the 110s, and that it didn't seem in line with the rest of his philosophy from what he's spoken about, and what I've seen. My guess was that he was using them as a "mental toughness" thing, and hoped to god it was a test rather than his standard work.

Advertisement
That's actually not wrong.

The entire purpose of periodization is to build up the athlete over a planned program with timing to be as explosive as possible at the start of their season, while trying to maintain that explosiveness as much as possible during the season.

Put simply, it would look something like neural introductory phase -> hypertrophy endurance/conditioning -> strength -> power. We WANT our guys to be explosive in-season. There's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about lifting heavy while in-season. The added advantage of Olympic lifting is that it's explosive by nature so it continues to train the nervous system, but there's very little time under tension so you're not wearing guys down. It's an explosive concentric movement which can be immediately dropped.

The only thing to be considerate of is overtraining. A good coach should be able to track their players while in-season to determine how much or how little they should be doing.

A lot of the non-contact ACL problems can be attributed to a lack of hamstring development (specifically knee-flexion work, so leg curls over RDLs) and an over-emphasis of quad-dominant movements like squatting too much.
Got it thanks for the correction! Fascinating. Do you have any insight about our S&C program specifically in how it's different from Swasey to Gus to Feeley? Like I hear the Stanford guy focuses a ton more on stretching and flexibility workouts than most other programs. I'm just curious about how S&C differs among programs and what separates the good from the great other than access to roids. If anything CIS should pay you to do an article about it!

Got it thanks for the correction! Fascinating. Do you have any insight about our S&C program specifically in how it's different from Swasey to Gus to Feeley? Like I hear the Stanford guy focuses a ton more on stretching and flexibility workouts than most other programs. I'm just curious about how S&C differs among programs and what separates the good from the great other than access to roids. If anything CIS should pay you to do an article about it!
No problem. I did an internship with men's and women's basketball/soccer S&C here at UM while I was getting my Master's in Exercise Physiology. I don't really have much insight anymore as that was many years ago and many of the coaches I worked with are no longer there. I only heard from friends about the stuff Swasey was doing and I've posted before on this forum that it was very archaic and not good at all. I met him and he seemed like a gentleman but he's from that "old school" period of strength coaching that's been superseded by updated science and programming.

I could write for hours about this but I would just say that Strength and Conditioning is tough because it is not an exact science. There are multiple viable ideologies for training a team of players, and so many coaches across the country will implement their S&C programs in different ways. I'm highly critical of the new influx of psuedo-powerlifting that's seeped into S&C lately (pretty sure this is what the guy at Clemson implements) just as much as I am about the guys who are scared to have their guys touch a barbell. As I mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the entire purpose of resistance training is to make you better at football, not to see how much weight you can lift. I'd guess nobody cares how much Ed Reed benched when he was playing.

I would say the "ideal" S&C coach - or what separates the good ones from the bad or average ones - is someone whose programming can change based on new information. And this is similar to coaching in general, right? If you're still trying to run the Wing-T in today's game you're going to get crushed. But there's a TON of ego in this field and guys love to tout how they've been doing this since 1982 and blablabla and it's the only way to do it (Swasey). But if you go to a conference and it turns out there's a safer or more effective way to get the same results, that should be something you strive to implement in your own program even if it wasn't your idea. However, the S&C coach also has to be a motivator and a guy that gets the team fired up; they need to come in the weight room ready to work because they've bought into the system and they respect the coach. If you don't have that you don't have anything, even if you have a perfect plan.

Anyway like I said I could talk for hours about this stuff but I'm kinda rambling so I'll leave it there lol.

Advertisement
Back