Stop recruiting small towns

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Shaquille Quarterman- Jacksonville
Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Michael Jackson- Birmingham
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Braxton Berrios- Raleigh, NC
David Njoku- Essex County, NJ
Rayshawn Jenkins- St. Petersburg
Corn Elder- Nashville
Al-Quadin Muhammad- Bergen County (NYC suburb)
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa
Seantrel Henderson- St. Paul, Minnesota
Mike James- Davenport, Florida
Allen Bailey- Darien, Georgia
Colin McCarthy- Clearwater
Jason Fox- Fort Worth, Texas
Dedrick Epps- Richmond Virginia

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.

Advertisement
The Christian Williams transfer highlights a couple things. First, Rumph needs to do a better job recruiting corners. There are plenty of threads on this topic. The other is a broader reality about Miami recruiting: we need to stop wasting time with small-town players.

Obviously, there is a ton of talent in small towns. Look at the SEC and the Big 10. But for Miami, they are hard to get, hard to keep, and we usually can't sign the good ones. They get homesick and there is a culture gap. Williams is the latest example.

Since the 2010 Draft, we've had 51 kids drafted that signed with Miami out of high school. Thirty-five (69%) were from South Florida. Here are the rest:

Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Corn Elder- Nashville
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa

So that's a total of two country kids (James and Bailey) out of 51 total and 17 non-local NFL players. It's just not a high rate of return. Let's focus on cities 100K population or more.
Daphne is not Mobile, unfortunately for us.

I had a high school biology teacher from Daphne. She was country as ****.

Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Corn Elder- Nashville
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa

NY and NJ kids are fine in Florida. It’s funny I knew a philly kid that turned down bama. He was like man they are hicks. The black dudes that go there wanna be treated like slaves.

Deejay Dallas- Brunswick
Chris Herndon- Atlanta
Corn Elder- Nashville
Brad Kaaya- Los Angeles
Anthony Chickillo- Tampa

The majority of those have been our better players though :ROFLMAO:

This is part of why I've argued for the expanded Texas recruiting. A big part.

Advertisement
@TheSwagger1 has talked about Dallas. That makes sense, as does Houston now that King is here. I wouldn't be scouring West Texas though.
My argument is really for Houston, if I'm being specific. It's also a matter of resources.

The other two areas I'd pound are the Atlanta metro and Hampton Roads.

My argument is really for Houston, if I'm being specific. It's also a matter of resources.

There are good players in places like NYC, Chicago and Detroit, too. I would especially focus on basketball-type kids who are new to football but have the body type.

Advertisement
There are good players in places like NYC, Chicago and Detroit, too. I would especially focus on basketball-type kids who are new to football but have the body type.
This is where we will have to agree to disagree, at least in part. I'm fine with targeting a kid who looks special in a cycle, but I would not be spending lots of time or money there.

Throw some recruiting money around in New Orleans and the 757 in Virginia area ASAP.

We can regularly pull an atlanta area kid that we zone in on in my opinion.

Ive been saying New Orleans should be a go..LSU cant sign everybody and those NO kids like Miami area or big cities.

The country kids havent been good to us foreal.

Need to go back up to NJ and NYC to fill gaps. We have gotten over the last 2 classes from there as well. I'd stay away from Chicago and Detroit @DMoney.

New Orleans, Houston/Dallas, Atlanta, Tidewater, nyc/nj, Las Vegas.

I wouldnt even be dipping into cali much. Stick to those areas listed out of state.

ALSO....THERE IS A LOT OF TALENT IN THE DMV ....WHO ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO GO TO UM ......FACT’S

29E13651-19E1-4345-8621-1523A6470C40.jpeg

Throw some recruiting money around in New Orleans and the 757 in Virginia area ASAP.

We can regularly pull an atlanta area kid that we zone in on in my opinion.

Ive been saying New Orleans should be a go..LSU cant sign everybody and those NO kids like Miami area or big cities.

The country kids havent been good to us foreal.

Need to go back up to NJ and NYC to fill gaps. We have gotten over the last 2 classes from there as well.
We'll see how they turn out. One is at least playing now (and is the one I was highest on in high school). I'm not a fan of the others.

Advertisement
Advertisement
NY and NJ kids are fine in Florida. It’s funny I knew a philly kid that turned down bama. He was like man they are hicks. The black dudes that go there wanna be treated like slaves.
We need to recruit NYC/Philly/Baltimore/Washington more. Being from Philly I can tell you, as a kid, us kids from the city LOVE the city of Miami.

Last edited:
@TheSwagger1 has talked about Dallas. That makes sense, as does Houston now that King is here. I wouldn't be scouring West Texas though.

yep, dallas/houston are the most similar demo of kids as sofla kids, imo. Swagger can talk to you ad nauseum about how the public school system has changed drastically in the last 20 years. That said, that's an area we need to draw from. Those kids won't be phased by coming here. sAme with New Orleans kids.

Advertisement
Back