Stephen Morris - The Regression

The guy on the bench is always better than the guy the coaches see every day and think gives the team the best chance to win. Williams looks good in garbage time against crappy teams, and all of a sudden he's Aaron Rodgers. Morris has certainly had his problems, but at some point people have to trust the coaches to put the best guy out there. If they thought Williams was a better option, he'd be out there, especially with Morris not 100%. They know a lot more than we do.

HE UNDERSTANDS and Morris does not, very simple.

Apparently it isn't that simple, because the coaches seem to think that Morris at 75% is better than Williams at 100%. I think that's very telling.

Advertisement
The guy on the bench is always better than the guy the coaches see every day and think gives the team the best chance to win. Williams looks good in garbage time against crappy teams, and all of a sudden he's Aaron Rodgers. Morris has certainly had his problems, but at some point people have to trust the coaches to put the best guy out there. If they thought Williams was a better option, he'd be out there, especially with Morris not 100%. They know a lot more than we do.

Apparently it isn't that simple, because the coaches seem to think that Morris at 75% is better than Williams at 100%. I think that's very telling.

we will find out very soon, I think coaches have seen enough of SM and he will be on a short leash, we have a legit shot at going all the way, they wont sit back and watch Morris throw picks any longer, I think we will see Ryan Williams

Or maybe they're smart enough to realize there's more ramifications to starting a QB controversy on a 6-0 team than the fans appreciate. Here are but a few considerations:
1. They know what they have in Morris even though he's erratic. They really have no idea what will happen with Williams. He might tear it up, and he might sht the bed. You can only judge so much on practice. If he tanks, then the season is pretty much dead because you've probably killed Morris by benching him.
2. How will benching the senior QB on a 6-0 team play in the locker room, especially when you've set the senior QB up as one of the two team leaders with Shayon Green? You bench the captain on a 6-0 team haphazardly? I wouldn't.

QB controversies rarely result in good things happening. The Don might be saying things publicly, but he knows that benching Morris is the absolute last resort on a 6-0 team that is still playing for everything.

Or maybe they're smart enough to realize there's more ramifications to starting a QB controversy on a 6-0 team than the fans appreciate. Here are but a few considerations:
1. They know what they have in Morris even though he's erratic. They really have no idea what will happen with Williams. He might tear it up, and he might sht the bed. You can only judge so much on practice. If he tanks, then the season is pretty much dead because you've probably killed Morris by benching him.
2. How will benching the senior QB on a 6-0 team play in the locker room, especially when you've set the senior QB up as one of the two team leaders with Shayon Green? You bench the captain on a 6-0 team haphazardly? I wouldn't.

QB controversies rarely result in good things happening. The Don might be saying things publicly, but he knows that benching Morris is the absolute last resort on a 6-0 team that is still playing for everything.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Valid points.

Advertisement
-Morris needs to stop running away from it and step into it; going backwards should no longer be an option for him, I would almost prefer a Tanneyhill type approach from him where just take the sack... But that shouldnt be the case given the Canes OL right now may be better than the Dolphins.

-Its not only the picks, Morris is slow, the sack he took against NC in the 2nd half where he once again was trying to back away and go sideways before getting tripped up killed a FG opportunity.

-I was looking at that play Matty Mauck made against Gayland where he stepped in to the pocket then ran for a TD, Stephen Morris CAN and HAS TO start making this type of play.

Step into it Stephen, you're gonna get hit bra, its football. Yes, youre valuable but not invaluable to the point where you gotta play like youre made of glass...step in to the pocket then rollout if its called for. No more back and out, and for the love of God, QBing 101 stop rolling out and throwing back into the fireld

Can't wait till Morris balls out Saturday and revisit this thread.

Yeah, cause balling vs Wake Forest is how you know Morris is the real deal

Just like how some clowns pounded their little chests when Morris had a decent game vs USF.

Wake me up when he out shines Winston Nov 2

Last edited:

Just like how some clowns pounded their little chests when Morris had a decent game vs USF.

he can barely string together 3 consecutive games of 60% passing when he plays the entire game. only done that it once in his career and that was against uva, duke, and usf. his mid-game houdini act is no longer an "if" situation, but a "when" situation. i want morris to ball out and improve, but he's shown no signs of this being a possibility against decent competition.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You might be changing your name to Rip Van Winkle.

He's certainly capable but I would be conservative on offense because he is such a wild card. Winston will probably hit some big plays on us and I don't want to see Morris trying to outgun him because that's when he gets turnover happy. Run it, run it, run it, play action. Use our strengths and let Morris throw it deep which he does better than pretty much anyone.

I don't buy the injury. I don't buy the throwing off while backing up. I don't buy all the excuses that have been mentioned.

The game sometimes gets faster than Morris can process.

That's it.

spell check police ? you sound pretty cool what's a homie ? I haven't heard that term in a decade lol FOH Nerd I post and read from my cell phone don't have time or give 2 ***** about editing my post just so the spell check police and make sure I spell every word right.
How long was he Injured last year ? I remember he got hurt the UNC game witch we lost. I don't remember how long it lingerd . Was he hurt FSU too?

"witch we lost"

Dan you might be the worst speller I've seen on here in awhile.

Go get your GED homie.

Advertisement
spell check police ? you sound pretty cool what's a homie ? I haven't heard that term in a decade lol FOH Nerd I post and read from my cell phone don't have time or give 2 ***** about editing my post just so the spell check police and make sure I spell every word right.
How long was he Injured last year ? I remember he got hurt the UNC game witch we lost. I don't remember how long it lingerd . Was he hurt FSU too?

"witch we lost"

Dan you might be the worst speller I've seen on here in awhile.

Go get your GED homie.

Your phone has spellcheck as well.

Now put your big boy pants on, quit *****ing, and REPLY TO THE QUOTE ON THE BOTTOM, NOT THE TOP! Cot**** I hate that.

I know my phone has spell check too . DO YOU HONESLTY THINK I GIVE A CRAP ABOUT WHAT YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT MY spellings in POST SERIOUSLY ? HOW ABOUT YOU JUST KNWO THAT I DONT GIVE ------ about my spelling for you guys . you guys can read text you can read anything . im sorry man Ill post at the bottom next time since hate it... cryn *** baby .. tuck your self in and go night night.

Oh you're gonna go far here buddy. I can already tell you're one of the intellectual types.

Advertisement
When we missed the ACC title game and bowl game, it enabled Morris and Fisch to exit 2012 as dual overstated. Fisch ran a bully offense and his schemes and feel for the personnel had peaked in those final three games against weak defenses. We are remembering a mirage.

Morris can't vary pace and loft to fit the evolving requirements of the play, particularly on intermediate routes. When scouts are evaluating him they need to completely ignore the occasional broken play gem when he's healthy. On those plays he can feign instinctive and creative with great touch. It doesn't translate to standard plays.

I still think he's a 3rd to 4th rounder, which I think is where I pegged him last spring. As others have pointed out, he was moderately rated coming out of high school. I'm a huge believer in early evaluation. You'll go broke focusing on here and now as opposed to early indications. That's why Jeff Ireland was a fool to hand out huge contracts to guys who were all drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Talk about a clueless moron. Message board posters scramble for exceptions, as if it proves anything at all. Exceptions get you beat.

Coley's offense is best served with considerable percentage of plays run from under center. Morris has been hindered in that regard due to the ankle. We've been pure shotgun until Morris gingerly returned under center on some plays at North Carolina. And than goodness he did. Our running game saved the day. Without play action availability and other standard looks, and Morris tentatively throwing off his back foot, the impression is that he's severely regressed. It's more of a return to his actual level, where he should have been rated all along. The team itself may face that type of thing shortly.

http://www.pageqsports.com/2013/10/canes-playbook-whats-the-matter-with-morris/

Here is a pretty good breakdown of Morris' INTs. Watching that 4th INT against UNC is sickening. One of the worst decisions I have seen from a D1 QB. WTF was he trying to do on that play. Everyone of his INTs against UNC were balls that should not have been thrown. Even the one that hit Seantrel in the head was bad decision that would been picked off even if Seantrel wasn't standing in the way.

Last edited:
I think it's an error to minimize Fisch. Morris has never shown the ability to throw into coverage against a good team but this year's Unc is a game where I think he wouldve had Morris rolling--a bad defense that really can't manage us up front. We've really only seen Morris perform adequately against one defense with a pulse and even then he was error prone. We must also acknowledge that in his limited time here Fisch showed the ability to take error prone qb's and reduce turnovers. Morris pre and post Fisch is actually kind of similar in terms of picks.

With respect to Williams, I think the coaches know that their best shot to put up significant points against teams that will stop our run is Morris. We'll only beat Fsu for instance if Morris plays out of his mind. We can beat mediocre teams with Williams or a poorly-performing Morris, but only an outstanding Morris allows us to compete in the upper echelon.

Advertisement
Back