Stephen Morris - The Regression

I think it's an error to minimize Fisch. Morris has never shown the ability to throw into coverage against a good team but this year's Unc is a game where I think he wouldve had Morris rolling--a bad defense that really can't manage us up front. We've really only seen Morris perform adequately against one defense with a pulse and even then he was error prone. We must also acknowledge that in his limited time here Fisch showed the ability to take error prone qb's and reduce turnovers. Morris pre and post Fisch is actually kind of similar in terms of picks.

With respect to Williams, I think the coaches know that their best shot to put up significant points against teams that will stop our run is Morris. We'll only beat Fsu for instance if Morris plays out of his mind. We can beat mediocre teams with Williams or a poorly-performing Morris, but only an outstanding Morris allows us to compete in the upper echelon.

WOW!!!!!!! OUTSTANDING ANALYSIS!!!

Advertisement
I think it's an error to minimize Fisch. Morris has never shown the ability to throw into coverage against a good team but this year's Unc is a game where I think he wouldve had Morris rolling--a bad defense that really can't manage us up front. We've really only seen Morris perform adequately against one defense with a pulse and even then he was error prone. We must also acknowledge that in his limited time here Fisch showed the ability to take error prone qb's and reduce turnovers. Morris pre and post Fisch is actually kind of similar in terms of picks.

With respect to Williams, I think the coaches know that their best shot to put up significant points against teams that will stop our run is Morris. We'll only beat Fsu for instance if Morris plays out of his mind. We can beat mediocre teams with Williams or a poorly-performing Morris, but only an outstanding Morris allows us to compete in the upper echelon.

to add to that...Morris or no Morris, if we score more points than the other teams, I will feel really good about our chances of beating those teams.

to add to that...Morris or no Morris, if we score more points than the other teams, I will feel really good about our chances of beating those teams.

i'm not so sure about that, but i hear you.

http://www.pageqsports.com/2013/10/canes-playbook-whats-the-matter-with-morris/

Here is a pretty good breakdown of Morris' INTs. Watching that 4th INT against UNC is sickening. One of the worst decisions I have seen from a D1 QB. WTF was he trying to do on that play. Everyone of his INTs against UNC were balls that should not have been thrown. Even the one that hit Seantrel in the head was bad decision that would been picked off even if Seantrel wasn't standing in the way.

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff...well, except for this little nugget: "Fortunately for Canes fans, the answer to both rhetorical questions is no." :eekeyes:

He can't get any worse. It's all up from here. If we weren't winning, he'd be getting killed.

Advertisement
NFL gm's look at potential. With 1st round qb's it's a crapshoot. You either have it up stairs like Peyton, or you have the arm like Marino or Elway.
Usually you flop as a 1st round qb, but one thing is always a sure bet: NFL gm's will always become enamored with a huge arm.
Look at Jake Locker. Kid couldn't hit hit a barn door from 10 feet away in college, but you put him 60 yards away and he'd put a hole in the door half the time.
Blaine Gabbart could chuck it far, but couldn't read a defense with a gun to his head. Same with Heath Shuler, Andre Ware, Dan McGuire etc.,

Similar guys IMO. Morris doesn't run as well and is more of a pure passer, but both are tough, high-character team leaders.

Not sure if I see the Locker similarity with Morris. Locker is very similar to Donovan McNabb. A more natural playmaker. Not sure who Morris is like. Maybe a poor mans Carson Palmer. Extremely poor man.

He can't get any worse. It's all up from here. If we weren't winning, he'd be getting killed.

Unless Morris is retarded (I don't think he is) he read some of the articles that mentioned the amount of turnovers we have had over the last 2 weeks. He has to know that he is responsible for 75% of them. People are done hyping him up, people are now on him for the turnovers and this is rightfully so. He is kind of getting killed. I don't think it can get any worse and if it does Morris will ride the pine.

So even though we're winning, I have to imagine he understands that these games are too close for comfort. He has to understand that things must change. This is his senior year, his last chance to dance, his last chance to prove to the NFL ____________ .

He must rise above it, I think he is done with these 3+ INT games.

Morris said immediately after that game that he was horrible, so he gets it. Key is, now what does he do to eliminate it.
He and Duke need to get it going if Miami's going to have a special year.
My guess it starts tomorrow.

Advertisement
Morris said immediately after that game that he was horrible, so he gets it. Key is, now what does he do to eliminate it.
He and Duke need to get it going if Miami's going to have a special year.
My guess it starts tomorrow.

He just needs to take it slow. One play at a time, one decision to make. The guy has had the time, we have allowed 5 sacks through 6 games (.83 per game and 11th overall) and I am not sure if all have them been with Morris in the game.

Make the reads, deliver the football or take off or throw it away. Stop forcing the ball. Even with Dorsett out, these WRs/TEs will break their routes and be open.

I know I am late to the discussion and haven't read this lengthy thread. But for me, although I don't know what exactly went wrong with Morris, whatever it was it was between his two ears. Not from his painful foot, not from his mechanics, and not from change of coaching. What went wrong was in his mind. Hopefully somehow he pushes the reset button of his brain and functions normally next game.

Normally, the change out of offensive coordinators who be significant. Coley agreed to keep the same terminology and essentially the same playbook of which he would add and delete as he saw fit. Ankle injury has definitely impact his mechanics and why he is wildly inconsistent right now. There are times the game seems to be moving too fast for him right now. He's bailing out of the pocket needlessly or he is not running through his progressions. This may be lack of confidence. That being said Miami has to ride the kid. Let's hope he gets hot.

honestly, do you feel that morris has ever actually been consistent at any point in his career? i'm not sure why people think that he had 4 good games to end last year because he was 46% in the virginia tech game. he had a 3 game stretch to close last year against uva, usf, and duke, and that's it. he's a wildly inconsistent product.

He played smart against Virginia Tech. He did not take a sack and he threw the ball away when nothing was there. But regardless, his mechanics right now are troubling. He'll see if a full week of practice has helped in 24 hours.

First interception was not on Morris. North Carolina stunted and Feliciano must have had outside zone pass pro. The stunting end got right into Morris's face and he couldn't follow through and the pass sailed. Second one was clearly on Morris. He could have stepped up in the pocket but he threw off his back foot and the ball sailed again. I'm not sure you can blame Morris on the third one. The screen was going to work big time but our boy Henderson blew the play. He couldn't finish his block on #95 and got into the line of the pass. #95 was going to blow up the play anyway. The fourth one was clearly on Morris and he made a very bad decision rolling to his right.

Advertisement

First interception was not on Morris. North Carolina stunted and Feliciano must have had outside zone pass pro. The stunting end got right into Morris's face and he couldn't follow through and the pass sailed. Second one was clearly on Morris. He could have stepped up in the pocket but he threw off his back foot and the ball sailed again. I'm not sure you can blame Morris on the third one. The screen was going to work big time but our boy Henderson blew the play. He couldn't finish his block on #95 and got into the line of the pass. #95 was going to blow up the play anyway. The fourth one was clearly on Morris and he made a very bad decision rolling to his right.

I put that first one on Morris, he threw a terrible ball that took 6 minutes to get there.

I put that first one on Morris, he threw a terrible ball that took 6 minutes to get there.

I put the first one one morris as well. Yes, he was feeling the rush, but he made a horrendous throw off his back foot (from one hash to the other, iirc).

Advertisement
posted in the WEZ....and Morris has players around him

Kyle Wright: 807 att 59.2% comp 7.2 yards/att 38 tds 31 ints 127.8 rating

Stephen Morris: 740 att 58.1% comp 8.3 yards/att 37 tds 26 ints 137.3

posted in the WEZ....and Morris has players around him

Kyle Wright: 807 att 59.2% comp 7.2 yards/att 38 tds 31 ints 127.8 rating

Stephen Morris: 740 att 58.1% comp 8.3 yards/att 37 tds 26 ints 137.3

I put the first one one morris as well. Yes, he was feeling the rush, but he made a horrendous throw off his back foot (from one hash to the other, iirc).

Kind of hard following through his throw when he got lit up by the defensive end who was stunting. He stood in the pocket and no way he was going to see the guy. That's a pass Morris can make if he can step through his throw. I'd suggest you go watch the video.

Advertisement
Back