Stephen Morris - The Regression

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
Here's the question: who is to blame for Morris' play this year?

Who is the main culprit- The Ankle? Or perhaps Fisch was some sort of QB guru.

We are half way through the season, and Morris has already thrown 8 interceptions. That's 1 more than 2012's entire season total of 7. To be blunt, it appears Morris underwent a large amount of head trauma this off-season, as he's made more than a few throws where it looks like he's mentally checked out.

[video=youtube;ocV5bGHdYag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag[/video]

Advertisement
I think his ankle is bothering him and he is making some bad decisions. If I remember correctly he struggled with an ankle last year as well before getting hot down the stretch.

i didnt see your post but i just posted an interesting stat on steven morris. he has 6 INTS on third downs

Fisch was a **** of a QB guru, look at Jacory's last season with Fisch, he played somewhat decent and cut down on his int's.

Fisch is sorely being missed right now.

Advertisement
I don't think it was Fisch, I don't think it is Coley's fault. I think this injury has hurt him bad. Why the pain may be tolerable, his mechanics looks off. I am know football scientist, I am not a QB guru. But the way he throws these last two weeks on some of these passes looks really off.

I don't think he mentally checked out, he has hardly been sacked/hit. Unless he is buying this BS hype (which is now GONE). I think he needs to get his mechanics fixed and make smarter choices. Let's hope this first half of the season looks different from the second half.

Totals Against UNC + GT

36 for 57 (63%), 646 Yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs

Although he threw 646 yards and completed 63% of his passes, it is these turnovers that are totally preventable.

I think Fisch had a lot to do with it

we have completely abandoned the middle of the field in the passing game. idk wtf they are doing out there. just run run run please

imo, he's turned into a robot QB. He use to be kind of a ball'er, getting first downs with his feet if need be (he's a decent athlete with speed)... Now, he wont extend any play with his legs, to either buy some more passing time to other WR's, or to take off. He throws to whatever the play was called, whether there is triple coverage or just launches it out of bounds. I think he's fallen into a conservative/overthinking hole, instead of hanging loose and just balling out.

He's trying to make the big play all the time. Find the check downs or throw it away.

Advertisement
to be honest, Morris isn't that good, the hype for him was just too much.

to me he's not smart enough of a qb to figure out and beat a great defense.

He's trying to make the big play all the time. Find the check downs or throw it away.

I agree with that, it's also over throwing deep throws to the outside. It seems like we could use the middle of the field more, but maybe Coley's worried about him over throwing passes there to.

Fisch is an interesting answer. I think he had something to do with Morris' (and Harris') results in that he protected them through play calling. However, Morris is a senior QB who has a ton of starts. Coley really can't afford to protect him and I wouldn't expect him to do so. If we have to for FSU and VTech, no bueno.

I don't think it was Fisch, I don't think it is Coley's fault. I think this injury has hurt him bad. Why the pain may be tolerable, his mechanics looks off. I am know football scientist, I am not a QB guru. But the way he throws these last two weeks on some of these passes looks really off.

I don't think he mentally checked out, he has hardly been sacked/hit. Unless he is buying this BS hype (which is now GONE). I think he needs to get his mechanics fixed and make smarter choices. Let's hope this first half of the season looks different from the second half.

Totals Against UNC + GT

Although he threw 646 yards and completed 63% of his passes, it is these turnovers that are totally preventable.

They dont see that in practice that his throws are that far off? Is Williams that bad they cant rest SM for a week or two??

Advertisement
SteMo failures have nothing to do with who his OC is, or isn't. Nor does it have anything to do with some bogus *** injury.

Putting it in laymen terms. SteMo isn't that good.

Fisch is an interesting answer. I think he had something to do with Morris' (and Harris') results in that he protected them through play calling. However, Morris is a senior QB who has a ton of starts. Coley really can't afford to protect him and I wouldn't expect him to do so. If we have to for FSU and VTech, no bueno.

I agree. I think the mere fact of changing the OC had some effect but nothing compared to this change in mechanics from the injury. This year was Morris's third OC in 4 years...that is a lot.

Wake Forest is better on defense than UNC, but we're at home and we have the long week to prepare. This is a good game for Morris to bounce back. Morris is a senior and needs to lead this team, IMO he is the difference maker against FSU.

Advertisement
He has definitely regressed but I dunno if you can put it on Coley because he really bad play only began after his injury. But the argument can be made that he didn't start off the year the way he ended last year. He still isn't playing at that level yet and I have no idea why.

I agree. I think the mere fact of changing the OC had some effect but nothing compared to this change in mechanics from the injury. This year was Morris's third OC in 4 years...that is a lot.

Wake Forest is better on defense than UNC, but we're at home and we have the long week to prepare. This is a good game for Morris to bounce back. Morris is a senior and needs to lead this team, IMO he is the difference maker against FSU.

Mind you, I said interesting because I don't think it's all about Fisch. I think the change and Morris being a 4th year changes the expectations. Morris' up and down issues have always been there. The ankle may make it more pronounced, but his accuracy has always been erratic.

Totals Against UNC + GT

They dont see that in practice that his throws are that far off? Is Williams that bad they cant rest SM for a week or two??

I don't know what they see, I am not at practice. I am sure they are trying to get him away from poor mechanics though.

As for Williams, I think they are going 100% with Morris (I would too). I don't think Williams is bad at all, I just think they want to go with Morris this year.

If they go with Williams and Morris is healthy to play, you possibly create a controversy if Williams does well. This may wreck Morris's confidence and mental stability. If they believe that Morris is healthy and gives us the best chance to win, go with him. I fear that if they go with Williams, simply for rest Morris, that they may lose him upstairs.

I would not rest him unless the injury was that painful, if that is the case Stephen should speak up and take himself out.

Mind you, I said interesting because I don't think it's all about Fisch. I think the change and Morris being a 4th year changes the expectations. Morris' up and down issues have always been there. The ankle may make it more pronounced, but his accuracy has always been erratic.

I mind you. That is fair.

Advertisement
Back