Stephen Morris - The Regression

Golden said if Morris can go, he is riding with him....as almost if to say, it doesn't matter how anyone else performs, we have hitch out caboose to his wagon and we are rolling with him win/lose or fall. I don't get why he had to play when he was badly and noticeably limping. Ryan was/is more than capable of carrying the team to wins against the opponents we played. **** if closed out both of the games anyways.
I don't think it was Fisch, I don't think it is Coley's fault. I think this injury has hurt him bad. Why the pain may be tolerable, his mechanics looks off. I am know football scientist, I am not a QB guru. But the way he throws these last two weeks on some of these passes looks really off.

I don't think he mentally checked out, he has hardly been sacked/hit. Unless he is buying this BS hype (which is now GONE). I think he needs to get his mechanics fixed and make smarter choices. Let's hope this first half of the season looks different from the second half.

Totals Against UNC + GT

36 for 57 (63%), 646 Yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs

Although he threw 646 yards and completed 63% of his passes, it is these turnovers that are totally preventable.

They dont see that in practice that his throws are that far off? Is Williams that bad they cant rest SM for a week or two??

Advertisement
Fisch is an interesting answer. I think he had something to do with Morris' (and Harris') results in that he protected them through play calling. However, Morris is a senior QB who has a ton of starts. Coley really can't afford to protect him and I wouldn't expect him to do so. If we have to for FSU and VTech, no bueno.

I agree. I think the mere fact of changing the OC had some effect but nothing compared to this change in mechanics from the injury. This year was Morris's third OC in 4 years...that is a lot.

I said this to you in another thread awhile back. That topic right there is for the birds.

SteMo has had some pretty good OC during his time here. No Nix type ruining him like some of our other QB have had to deal with. 2 of them are coaching at the next level, and his current coach. Has had 2 of his previous QB drafted in the 1st round.

Morris failures fall upon himself and that is all. He is the person holding himself back. Coley isn't telling/teaching Morris how to regress.

SteMo failures have nothing to do with who his OC is, or isn't. Nor does it have anything to do with some bogus *** injury.

Putting it in laymen terms. SteMo isn't that good.

So then who is responsible for smashing the University of Miami all time passing record for a single game last season? Was that on Fisch or Morris?

I actually think it's more between the ears than anything. Once he feels any pressure he rolls out, usually to the wrong side i.e. UNC, once he rolls out he tends to force things.
It's pretty evident when he's on he's very good, he made two really nice throws on the last drive on UNC, he was also very contrite after the game, my hope is the UNC drive gives him some momentum, not to mention some days to rest the ankle.

I'd like to see Coley run the ball and call nothing but short passes to build up some momentum vs Wake then let him sling it around once he gets in sync.

Wake doesnt have a single guy on the defense over 275 and one is a true freshman, RUN.THE.BALL

Last edited:
Fisch is an interesting answer. I think he had something to do with Morris' (and Harris') results in that he protected them through play calling. However, Morris is a senior QB who has a ton of starts. Coley really can't afford to protect him and I wouldn't expect him to do so. If we have to for FSU and VTech, no bueno.

I agree. I think the mere fact of changing the OC had some effect but nothing compared to this change in mechanics from the injury. This year was Morris's third OC in 4 years...that is a lot.

I said this to you in another thread awhile back. That topic right there is for the birds.

SteMo has had some pretty good OC during his time here. No Nix type ruining him like some of our other QB have had to deal with. 2 of them are coaching at the next level, and his current coach. Has had 2 of his previous QB drafted in the 1st round.

Morris failures fall upon himself and that is all. He is the person holding himself back. Coley isn't telling/teaching Morris how to regress.

On the issue of OCs, just this one variable. I think that just because you have 3 good OCs in 4 years it is not an advantage or disadvantage. It just is 3 different coaches in 4 years. I am in no way putting this as the reason or a some part of his failures, I am just saying it had an effect (good or bad).

Morris has done enough good to show that he can do good for this team. Morris has shown enough that he can make smart decisions and be accurate with the ball. As a senior, it is up to Morris (injured or not) to lead this team and WIN GAMES. It is up to him to not turn the ball over through the air.

This is Morris's team, he is the leader. Stop turning the ball over, make better choices and fix the issues.

Advertisement
How anyone could say the injury isn't the issue is beyond me. Dude has been hobbling on/off the field for 3 weeks now & even went as far as to get ****ed off at his coach & players who were aggravating his ankle more celebrating one of his TD throws.

He's throwing off his backfoot and fading away most of the time on these deep comeback routes. And that's causing him to sail balls into 2 high coverage.

Even on his nice throws and TD passes he's doing this half the time. He just gets away with it because of his arm strength.

I relate it to a golfer who gets off plane at the top of the backswing... sure every now and then he can hit a pure shot due to athleticism and great hand eye coordination..
but odds are he's going to be inconsistent (and more so in pressure moments).

Heal the ankle and get him to trust his plant foot again and we'll see the old Morris.

Wake Forest is better on defense than UNC, but we're at home and we have the long week to prepare. This is a good game for Morris to bounce back. Morris is a senior and needs to lead this team, IMO he is the difference maker against FSU.

both QBs (J12 and Morris) were turnover machines under Whipple

Both took care of the ball under Fisch

now Morris is chucking it up a la J12 circa 2009

On the issue of OCs, just this one variable. I think that just because you have 3 good OCs in 4 years it is not an advantage or disadvantage. It just is 3 different coaches in 4 years. I am in no way putting this as the reason or a some part of his failures, I am just saying it had an effect (good or bad).

]Morris has done enough good to show that he can do good for this team. Morris has shown enough that he can make smart decisions and be accurate with the ball. As a senior, it is up to Morris (injured or not) to lead this team and WIN GAMES. It is up to him to not turn the ball over through the air.

This is Morris's team, he is the leader. Stop turning the ball over, make better choices and fix the issues.

No argument from me on this statement in bold.

Even though the interceptions are up, I don't think Morris has 'regressed'. I just don't think he was that good to begin with. Last year he still also making bone head throws and horrid decisions. He's just really inconsistent....good days and bad days.

Advertisement
So then who is responsible for smashing the University of Miami all time passing record for a single game last season? Was that on Fisch or Morris?

Fisch, Fisch, Fisch.

He was so creative with his play calling and had such a good feel for the game, that any qb would thrive with him. Sure Morris' arm helps, but he's the same qb from last year!!!. in the offseason Golden commended Coley for keeping the playbook as similar as possible to Fisch's, and yet there's been a huge drop off.

Remember that NC State game last year? Morris could've gone for a thousand yards!! Seriously, take a look back at that game, Morris completely went missing in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and still wound up with a record day. A consistent qb wouldn't have let that game be so close.

Morris has always frustrated me, even last year, throws high, misses wide open receivers, and is OBSESSED with the deep ball.

This is in no way a diss to Coley, I think he'll be great, but Fisch basically was putting defenses on a silver platter for Morris last year, holding his hand through all of it.

Remember the UVA game last year? Our offense was insane that game and was sooo creative throughout the entire game.

But ultimately, Coley is doing a fine enough job, it's Morris that sucks.

Wake Forest is better on defense than UNC, but we're at home and we have the long week to prepare. This is a good game for Morris to bounce back. Morris is a senior and needs to lead this team, IMO he is the difference maker against FSU.

both QBs (J12 and Morris) were turnover machines under Whipple

Both took care of the ball under Fisch

now Morris is chucking it up a la J12 circa 2009

I am not going to debate Harris's tenure under Whipple.

I think that Morris has had two bad games in a row, I think that Fisch would continue to throw the ball against UNC and not run the ball. I don't think this is because Fisch is gone. It may have an effect, but a senior knows to not make these throws.

The Fisch legend continues. What about Ryan Williams progression over the last two years? Most posters "in the know" said he sucks coming into this year. He most def. sucked against UNC last year. It is quite evident he has advanced to a competent QB this year in his limited action.

Who gets credit for that? Probably the ghost of Jedd Fisch.

I think Fisch had a lot to do with it

we have completely abandoned the middle of the field in the passing game. idk wtf they are doing out there. just run run run please

Good grief, why do people continually state this?

Morris has abandoned the middle of the field, but people are still running routes there. You can't blame that on coaching, Morris just doesn't have what it takes. Simple as that.

Advertisement
Agree that it's on Morris. To me he's pretty much the same QB he's always been - on or off. Against UNC I felt more so than any time before that he played like he was nervous or scared, e.g., running out of a solid pocket and throwing a ridiculous pick while going out of bounds. We just need him to be on for FSU and VT. Morris reminds me of a streak shooter in basketball; when they are on they set records, but when they are off they still keep chucking it.

]Morris has done enough good to show that he can do good for this team. Morris has shown enough that he can make smart decisions and be accurate with the ball. As a senior, it is up to Morris (injured or not) to lead this team and WIN GAMES. It is up to him to not turn the ball over through the air.

No argument from me on this statement in bold.

Last edited:
I don't think it was Fisch, I don't think it is Coley's fault. I think this injury has hurt him bad. Why the pain may be tolerable, his mechanics looks off. I am know football scientist, I am not a QB guru. But the way he throws these last two weeks on some of these passes looks really off.

I don't think he mentally checked out, he has hardly been sacked/hit. Unless he is buying this BS hype (which is now GONE). I think he needs to get his mechanics fixed and make smarter choices. Let's hope this first half of the season looks different from the second half.

Totals Against UNC + GT

36 for 57 (63%), 646 Yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs

Although he threw 646 yards and completed 63% of his passes, it is these turnovers that are totally preventable.

It looked to me he could not mechanically step into throws and become mostly arm, sometimes off the back foot, I also believe his feet have gotten happy as quite a few times he left the pocket unnecessarily.

The Fisch legend continues. What about Ryan Williams progression over the last two years? Most posters "in the know" said he sucks coming into this year. He most def. sucked against UNC last year. It is quite evident he has advanced to a competent QB this year in his limited action.

Who gets credit for that? Probably the ghost of Jedd Fisch.

hmmm. I guess that depends on how you define competent.

does he look better than last year? yes

he was gawd awful last year though

could he QB this team to an ACC champ? I doubt it at this point. he is a serviceable backup and thats it right now IMO

Advertisement
As some have said, I don't think he has regressed that much. He's always been inconsistent.

He got overrated bc of camps, which highlight his strength - a strong arm - and minimize his weakness - decision-making, particularly under pressure. In a camp setting, you can pre-read where you are going to throw the ball, and rely on your arm strength w/o having to worry about a defensive end blind-siding you.

That approach will also be successful at times in games. But it will also lead to INTs when the QB forces the ball into coverage.

Fisch, Fisch, Fisch.

He was so creative with his play calling and had such a good feel for the game, that any qb would thrive with him. Sure Morris' arm helps, but he's the same qb from last year!!!. in the offseason Golden commended Coley for keeping the playbook as similar as possible to Fisch's, and yet there's been a huge drop off.

Remember that NC State game last year? Morris could've gone for a thousand yards!! Seriously, take a look back at that game, Morris completely went missing in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and still wound up with a record day. A consistent qb wouldn't have let that game be so close.

Morris has always frustrated me, even last year, throws high, misses wide open receivers, and is OBSESSED with the deep ball.

This is in no way a diss to Coley, I think he'll be great, but Fisch basically was putting defenses on a silver platter for Morris last year, holding his hand through all of it.

Remember the UVA game last year? Our offense was insane that game and was sooo creative throughout the entire game.

But ultimately, Coley is doing a fine enough job, it's Morris that sucks.

It should be noted that a substantial amount of those NC State yards came through that "frozen" gadget play where everyone stayed still, created an awkward offsides by the defense, and allowed the QB to take deep shots. Good for getting the result in those instances. But, that's not what you build a reliable system upon. He still threw for a crazy amount of yards. He also threw the ball like 50 times, IIRC. It's a different football game now. Let's just get a passing game we can rely on in tough moments, please.

He's consistently inconsistent. Period.

Chucking a ball into heavy traffic when you've already cleared the tackle box and can easily throw the ball away has ZERO to do with his ankle.

SteMo failures have nothing to do with who his OC is, or isn't. Nor does it have anything to do with some bogus *** injury.

Putting it in laymen terms. SteMo isn't that good.

He is exactly who most of us thought he was! He has all the tools he just doesn't have the mental make-up to be a pro QB.

He tried to turn the ball over last year late but for some **** reason the defense never would catch it. He got extremely lucky at the end of the year last year.

One thing is for sure though... He HAS to get in a rhythm early in a game for him to be any good at all. If he starts slow versus FSU then it's over!!!

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/23218-Dmoney-why-so-much-hype-with

These questions have always been there! The real question is how did he fool NFL scouts?

Advertisement
Back