Stephen Morris - The Regression

Advertisement
It isn't the injury. He has been making bad decisions since the beginning of the season before he got hurt. I think he let some of the offseason pub get to him. He is always looking for the big play instead of focusing on moving the chains.

Cane[]_[]DigIt;1642118 said:
Can't wait till Morris balls out Saturday and revisit this thread.

Hope so... I want nothing more than for this team to put a complete game together in all phases against a team with a pulse to shut up the ranking doubters.

Yeah, but we have to play Morris.

So that's not going to happen.

Hope so... I want nothing more than for this team to put a complete game together in all phases against a team with a pulse to shut up the ranking doubters.

you guys don't think Williams should see the field at all vs Wake, no matter how SM does ? If SM struggles I would not hesitate, I like the way RW manages a game, reads whats up, and checks down to the TE or Rb outa the backfield. He has improved 10fold over last year and is much more composed, he is not the same kid he was last year, **** what could it hurt

Advertisement

you guys don't think Williams should see the field at all vs Wake, no matter how SM does ? If SM struggles I would not hesitate, I like the way RW manages a game, reads whats up, and checks down to the TE or Rb outa the backfield. He has improved 10fold over last year and is much more composed, he is not the same kid he was last year, **** what could it hurt

If Morris starts throwing passes that looked anything like what we saw last game, I have no issue with giving Willaims some burn. Cat is ready.

If Morris starts throwing passes that looked anything like what we saw last game, I have no issue with giving Willaims some burn. Cat is ready.

I think the coaches are mulling this now, how far do we ride with Stephon, before we really did not have as much to lose as we do now, ranked as we are we have a legit shot, I mean we figure a way to beat fsu we`re in the title hunt, which nobody expected, even us. **** if we run the table, which now is a real possibility, we may go to NC game, we cant take a chance by leaving SM in there and getting picked to death. We have a guy on the bench who may just light a fire under these boys, I would sure give him a try before I went down the tubes on the Morris pickwagon

He probably will light up WF. All of his good performances have come against awful teams. It's when he faces good teams where he goes down like Marvis Frazier. Great against WF, then awful against FSU and VT would be entirely consistant.

Advertisement

I think the coaches are mulling this now, how far do we ride with Stephon, before we really did not have as much to lose as we do now, ranked as we are we have a legit shot, I mean we figure a way to beat fsu we`re in the title hunt, which nobody expected, even us. **** if we run the table, which now is a real possibility, we may go to NC game, we cant take a chance by leaving SM in there and getting picked to death. We have a guy on the bench who may just light a fire under these boys, I would sure give him a try before I went down the tubes on the Morris pickwagon

If you listen to Goldens interview with Joe Rose this week, can't deny it.

The guy on the bench is always better than the guy the coaches see every day and think gives the team the best chance to win. Williams looks good in garbage time against crappy teams, and all of a sudden he's Aaron Rodgers. Morris has certainly had his problems, but at some point people have to trust the coaches to put the best guy out there. If they thought Williams was a better option, he'd be out there, especially with Morris not 100%. They know a lot more than we do.

this sums me watching him during the games at times...

Advertisement
^ not to insult him cause he has battle through a lot but man oh man does he put me on the edge of my seat.

To be honest, I don't see any regression. Our offense is different but he is the same guy back there.

Still panics most of the time under pressure, but still drops ridiculous throws from time to time. His mobility looks a little lacking but he is actually making some throws he struggled with last year.

Normally, the change out of offensive coordinators who be significant. Coley agreed to keep the same terminology and essentially the same playbook of which he would add and delete as he saw fit. Ankle injury has definitely impact his mechanics and why he is wildly inconsistent right now. There are times the game seems to be moving too fast for him right now. He's bailing out of the pocket needlessly or he is not running through his progressions. This may be lack of confidence. That being said Miami has to ride the kid. Let's hope he gets hot.

Advertisement
Also gotta remember he went on an absolute tear the last 4 games last year. Like historic type tears. He still absolutely has that in him but it skewed his stats a little bit.

Normally, the change out of offensive coordinators who be significant. Coley agreed to keep the same terminology and essentially the same playbook of which he would add and delete as he saw fit. Ankle injury has definitely impact his mechanics and why he is wildly inconsistent right now. There are times the game seems to be moving too fast for him right now. He's bailing out of the pocket needlessly or he is not running through his progressions. This may be lack of confidence. That being said Miami has to ride the kid. Let's hope he gets hot.

honestly, do you feel that morris has ever actually been consistent at any point in his career? i'm not sure why people think that he had 4 good games to end last year because he was 46% in the virginia tech game. he had a 3 game stretch to close last year against uva, usf, and duke, and that's it. he's a wildly inconsistent product.

The guy on the bench is always better than the guy the coaches see every day and think gives the team the best chance to win. Williams looks good in garbage time against crappy teams, and all of a sudden he's Aaron Rodgers. Morris has certainly had his problems, but at some point people have to trust the coaches to put the best guy out there. If they thought Williams was a better option, he'd be out there, especially with Morris not 100%. They know a lot more than we do.

and how did Stevie look against same teams ? you have to look a little deeper than the opponent, look at his body language, look how he manages the game, look how he surveys the field, HE UNDERSTANDS and Morris does not, very simple. Very touchy situation for the coaches but guarantee now that we have this golden opportunity they are considering rolling Williams out there first time Morris throws a floater in triple cov

Fisch is an interesting answer. I think he had something to do with Morris' (and Harris') results in that he protected them through play calling. However, Morris is a senior QB who has a ton of starts. Coley really can't afford to protect him and I wouldn't expect him to do so. If we have to for FSU and VTech, no bueno.

I agree. I think the mere fact of changing the OC had some effect but nothing compared to this change in mechanics from the injury. This year was Morris's third OC in 4 years...that is a lot.

Wake Forest is better on defense than UNC, but we're at home and we have the long week to prepare. This is a good game for Morris to bounce back. Morris is a senior and needs to lead this team, IMO he is the difference maker against FSU.

Mind you, I said interesting because I don't think it's all about Fisch. I think the change and Morris being a 4th year changes the expectations. Morris' up and down issues have always been there. The ankle may make it more pronounced, but his accuracy has always been erratic.

Accuracy is one thing, but constantly making throws off the back foot (thus "arming it") is not helping any. Worse, he is tending to his back foot a lot of third downs. His mechanics are regressing, it seems. A QB coach/mentor would bring a lot of value to that but I'm sure Coley has experience with this as well. Maybe Morris is just incapable of being consistent.

If so, as you said, Lu, no bueno.

Advertisement
Back