Steele's defense and some...

Advertisement
lol Flagg played very good. Showed better speed out there than last year, but Johnson is better athletically. But I see why Keontra Smith ain’t starting.. he was out of position a few times and gave up that TD. Mesidor has to play inside more because he lost contain a few times. He lacks speed to play outside imho
Flagg won't make plays that the casual fan will notice (at least not consistently), but he was solid throughout the game with his run fits. His value on the field and probably why Steele will keep Flagg on the field more than most fans care for is because Flagg seems to have a solid grasp of what the **** is going on out there.

Flagg at several points of the game was directing his fellow LBs as well as DL. In a few cases, it seemed Flagg moved his teammates into a position to make a play.

Until the other LBs are making game-changing plays, I don't know how Steele will be convinced to remove Flagg from playing meaningful minutes.

I saw Coach Hayes’ postgame show. His one big problem was with BCU getting some big plays off in the first half and the Canes’ inability to get BCU off the field. He pointed out (rightly I think) that in College Station, those BCU big plays would have resulted in touchdowns.

There didn’t seem to be instinctive gang tackling going on yet, but that would come. Everyone had to attack the ball carrier at once.
podcast? link please. thank you

Advertisement
just get ivey and flagg off the field, who the **** do I have to pay? PM me your paypal.
Stop it.
Do you want to tell Strong and Steele who they should play instead? You are welcome to recommend the names to them. Go ahead. I think you can find their email addresses if you research them.

spent much of the 3rd quarter talking to Coach Hayes, great guy. He can really explain the game of football...
Wasnt he on Cristobal staff at FIU? I know he coached there not sure if they cross paths.. either way he definitely has a wealth of knowledge

Advertisement
One of the reasons I'm not sweating that TD. It was blown coverage from somebody clearly not in tune 100% with the playbook. Everyone will improve once they've got it down. I'd be more concerned if BCC had just straight up out talented/played us for the TD. Though their WRs look pretty darn good for them and so does Jones. They might have a nice season.

Running QBs still an issue ...
What did Mario say exactly about that play?

Something along the lines of “we’ve defended it well many times”

He seemed pretty disappointed in that one so I agree not putting much into that

I thought the defense stunk yesterday. anyone sugar coating it is living in fantasyland. 6.1yds/play and give up nearly 400yds as well as 2 roughly 6min drives against you, yikes. Itt was a very poor showing. against Bethune Cookman
The problem was big plays in the passing game

48 yard reception
44 yard reception
34 yard reception
28 yard reception
21 yard run

For those scoring at home, that's 175 yards (half their total) in five plays. Absent those (which still count), it was 3.5 yards per play.

Advertisement
We actually did blitz a few times and one was beyond embarrassing.... Flagg up the middle untouched in a full sprint with the QB standing still.. QB takes one step and is gone , never to be touched by Flagg... Just ran away from him from a dead stop.... That was horrifying to watch.... Flagg is no bueno....
Yeah, that was painful.

PFF Grades for Miami Vs BCU

General notes:
-Miami had a pair of players that broke 90 percent grades this week per Pro Football Focus: Tyler Van Dyke with an overall 92 grade on offense and Gil Frierson at 90.2 on defense. For perspective, Van Dyke’s best graded games last year saw two above 80 percent – 87.9 against Central Connecticut State and 84.3 vs. NC State. Frierson? His best game last year was a 72.6 percent grade against Virginia Tech. So those were some big strides for an opener, at least.

-Grading out best as run blockers (with over 15 reps): Anez Cooper (81.4 percent), Justice Oluwaseun (80.8), John Campbell (80.1) and DJ Scaife (77.9). The team had an overall grade of 81.1 percent in run blocking, which is excellent.

- TVD was kept clean in the pocket almost the entire game, with PFF reporting two times he was actually considered “under pressure.” Offensive linemen that graded out particularly well as pass protectors (with over 15 reps) were Jalen Rivers (83.8 percent), DJ Scaife (82.4) and John Campbell (78.7).

-PFF noted seven missed tackles in the game, with Kam Kinchens the only player with more than one (he had two). An overall 67.9 tackling grade. The D did record 18 QB hurries.

- Several individual tackling grades were quite poor. The aforementioned Kinchens was at 48.4 (70 is considered good), Jared Harrison Hunte 55.2, DJ Ivey 38.8, Al Blades 28.7 and Avantae Williams was at 27.5.

-The top guy on the team tackle grade-wise was Corey Flagg, who beat out transfer Caleb Johnson for the starting job. Flagg was at 79.9 percent. No. 2 on the list was Johnson right behind him at 79.4. James Williams was also strong at 78.9 with others at 77 percent Gil Frierson and Tyrique Stevenson.

- Miami graded out at 92.6 percent overall . he offense was at 95.1 and the defense with an overall 83.4 grade.

Offensive Grades by Player: (snap counts in parenthesis)

Tyler Van Dyke, 92.0 (39)
Kahlil Brantley, 88.5 (13)
Henry Parrish, 85.6 (25)
Xavier Restrepo, 84.7 (32)
Anez Cooper, 84.2 (22)
John Campbell, Jr., 82.8 (46)
DJ Scaife, Jr., 81.6 (46)
Brashard Smith, 80.1 (26)
Justice Oluwaseun, 80.1 (46)
Thaddius Franklin, Jr., 79.8 (22)
Dominic Mammarelli, 79.8 (11)
Terrell Walden II, 78.5 (5)
Will Mallory, 76.9 (25)
Chris Washington, 74.3 (7)
Frank Ladson, Jr., 73.2 (23)
Michael Redding II, 73.1 (24)
Lucious Stanley, 72.7 (5)
Matthew McCoy, 70.4 (21)
Jalen Rivers, 69.8 (46)
Jake Garcia, 68.8 (21)
Laurence Seymore, 68.6 (21)
Devon Perry, 68.0 (10)
Jakai Clark, 67.8 (30)
Jonathan Denis, 64.1 (37)
Jaleel Skinner, 63.0 (13)
Romello Brinson, 62.2 (25)
Robert Prosek, 59.3 (4)
Josh Murillo, 59.1 (11)
Ousman Traore, 56.9 (14)
Jacurri Brown, 56.5 (7)
Elijah Arroyo, 54.0 (22)
Key’Shawn Smith, 53.1 (25)
Colbie Young, 48.0 (13)

Defensive Grades by Player:
Gilbert Frierson, 90.3 (23)
Wesley Bissainthe, 88.0 (9)
Akheem Mesidor, 86.0 (19)
James Williams, 80.8 (40)
Antonio Moultrie, 79.2 (17)
Leonard Taylor, 78.7 (13)
Jacob Lichtenstein, 77.2 (15)
Corey Flagg, Jr., 76.2 (34)
Markeith Williams, 75.5 (4)
Jared Harrison-Hunte, 75.4 (15)
Te’Cory Couch, 74.9 (31)
Jahfari Harvey, 74.6 (24)
Elijah Roberts, 71.1 (20)
Waynmon Steed, 70.1 (30)
Nyjalik Kelly, 69.4 (13)
Caleb Johnson, 68.8 (16)
Thomas Davis, 68.4 (3)
Tyrique Stevenson, 65.9 (37)
Isaiah Dunson, 65.5 (13)
Brian Balom, 64.9 (6)
Daryl Porter, Jr., 64.4 (18)
Jordan Miller, 62.9 (19)
Malik Curtis, 62.5 (8)
Khamauri Rogers, 61.9 (3)
Chris Graves, Jr., 61.6 (3)
Allan Haye, Jr., 60.9 (4)
Ahmad Moten, 60.6 (4)
Kamren Kinchens, 60.2 (40)
Chantz Williams, 60.2 (16)
Cyrus Moss, 59.7 (4)
Jabari Ishmael, 59.4 (4)
Al Blades, Jr., 58.7 (22)
Darrell Jackson, 57.4 (21)
DJ Ivey, 55.3 (37)
Bryan Levine, 55.0 (25)
Avantae Williams, 49.6 (14)
Chase Smith, 48.1 (4)
Jaden Harris, 46.7 (4)
Keontra Smith, 42.6 (17)
Bryan Levine played 25 snaps?

Lack of pass rush by our front 4 is concerning. We didn’t blitz and that’s fine no reason to show the playbook but I didn’t see anyone but Mesidor and Jackson beat their guys 1 on 1. Maybe they are being taught to hold the point of attack more verse shoot gaps. It will be interesting to see how that line develops.
Omg. Another don't "don't show the playbook" post. Work on it at practice but don't use it in the game. How ******* stupid are you

Advertisement
I saw Coach Hayes’ postgame show. His one big problem was with BCU getting some big plays off in the first half and the Canes’ inability to get BCU off the field. He pointed out (rightly I think) that in College Station, those BCU big plays would have resulted in touchdowns.

There didn’t seem to be instinctive gang tackling going on yet, but that would come. Everyone had to attack the ball carrier at once.
Sometimes just give the opponent some credit. They schemed some good **** up early. They had athleticism. I know it’s Bethune so you don’t expect that but they had some skill talent..Texas ATM and that’ archaic O put up a 31 and punted 4xs vs Sam Houston

The problem was big plays in the passing game

48 yard reception
44 yard reception
34 yard reception
28 yard reception
21 yard run

For those scoring at home, that's 175 yards (half their total) in five plays. Absent those (which still count), it was 3.5 yards per play.
This ^

Advertisement
Back