Steele's defense and some...

gacaneaddict

Junior
Other observations.

So my brother n law played for Steele at Clemson. His defensive playbook was thicker than a New York City phonebook.

His defense was complex, and required a lot of the players in college. It's one of the reasons Steele got canned by Dabo. Players were thinking too much, allowing big pays.

My Bro n Law loved him, thought he was a defensive genius, problem was getting players to understand what he knew, so they could execute the defense.

After Clemson, he goes to Sabans fired coaches rehabilitation program. There I think he learned how to simplify his defense.

He made a comment at media day this year that if the player hasn't learned the teacher hasn't taught. That is self growth as an older experienced coach.

After Alabama he goes to Auburn, and he shows his growth by fielding 4 straight advanced metrics top 10 defenses.

So I say all this to say, this defense requires little more thought than Manny's. These kids will get better throughout the season IMO. It's not too much thought where they can't execute is as they get more comfortable though.

We did have 3 INTs.

Little more pass rush integrity will help too.

As far as personnel, Mesidor is our best DL now. Jackson got nice push in the middle. Ugude IMO is little too stiff off the edge. Probably limits his sack numbers, but can see how he gets upfield with pressures.

Off all the DE's, it was Thomas Davis that showed best burst and bend off the edge.

Overall the team looks prepared, the different units look organized and well coached, team looks in good shape. This is a big time operation now. You can just look at the sidelines and tell.

-The QB play was outstanding. TVD and Garcia laser sharp. That throw to X was NFL throw, and the laser to Redding. Garcia was 8-8 passing. Hard to go 100% completion against air.

-Feel like so much more in tank for this offense too. Zion out, Knighton out. Pretty vanilla but was so
-WR, TEs, RBs caught the ball well looked efficient.

-Man, McCoy and Anez make me feel much better about OL in 2023. Just their size and movement skills. A full year of S&C, and development. Watch out

Advertisement
What was impressive to me is that there seemed no drop off in intensity or execution from 1st to 3rd string. It was seamless. That is how you can tell the difference in coaching and prep.

Heard the announcers commenting how Steele was still coaching up the 1st team even while on the bench. Qb containment was an issue that needs to get fixed. The busted coverages was another issue. Cristobal referred to these in the press conference as well.

This will be a point of emphasis and would expect this stuff to be cleaned up for next game.

I saw Coach Hayes’ postgame show. His one big problem was with BCU getting some big plays off in the first half and the Canes’ inability to get BCU off the field. He pointed out (rightly I think) that in College Station, those BCU big plays would have resulted in touchdowns.

There didn’t seem to be instinctive gang tackling going on yet, but that would come. Everyone had to attack the ball carrier at once.

Advertisement
I saw Coach Hayes’ postgame show. His one big problem was with BCU getting some big plays off in the first half and the Canes’ inability to get BCU off the field. He pointed out (rightly I think) that in College Station, those BCU big plays would have resulted in touchdowns.

There didn’t seem to be instinctive gang tackling going on yet, but that would come. Everyone had to attack the ball carrier at once.
I was impressed with their play calling design overall. Interesting point about the gang tackling, they seemed to isolate a lot of our guys all night, so you're right didn't really see any of that at all.

Other observations.

So my brother n law played for Steele at Clemson. His defensive playbook was thicker than a New York City phonebook.

His defense was complex, and required a lot of the players in college. It's one of the reasons Steele got canned by Dabo. Players were thinking too much, allowing big pays.

My Bro n Law loved him, thought he was a defensive genius, problem was getting players to understand what he knew, so they could execute the defense.

After Clemson, he goes to Sabans fired coaches rehabilitation program. There I think he learned how to simplify his defense.

He made a comment at media day this year that if the player hasn't learned the teacher hasn't taught. That is self growth as an older experienced coach.

After Alabama he goes to Auburn, and he shows his growth by fielding 4 straight advanced metrics top 10 defenses.

So I say all this to say, this defense requires little more thought than Manny's. These kids will get better throughout the season IMO. It's not too much thought where they can't execute is as they get more comfortable though.

We did have 3 INTs.

As far as personnel, Mesidor is our best DL now. Jackson got nice push in the middle. Ugude IMO is little too stiff off the edge. Probably limits his sack numbers, but can see how he gets upfield with pressures.

Off all the DE's, it was Thomas Davis that showed best burst and bend off the edge.

Overall the team looks prepared, the different units look organized and well coached, team looks in good shape. This is a big time operation now. You can just look at the sidelines and tell.

-The QB play was outstanding. TVD and Garcia laser sharp. That throw to X was NFL throw, and the laser to Redding. Garcia was 8-8 passing. Hard to go 100% completion against air.

-Feel like so much more in tank for this offense too. Zion out, Knighton out. Pretty vanilla but was so

-Man, McCoy and Anez make me feel much better about OL in 2023. Just their size and movement skills. A full year of S&C, and development. Watch out
Kiss the idea of a TOP 25 defensive ranking away with Ivey and Flaggs as your starters

just get ivey and flagg off the field, who the **** do I have to pay? PM me your paypal.
lol Flagg played very good. Showed better speed out there than last year, but Johnson is better athletically. But I see why Keontra Smith ain’t starting.. he was out of position a few times and gave up that TD. Mesidor has to play inside more because he lost contain a few times. He lacks speed to play outside imho

Advertisement
yeah i live in upstate carolina my family friends everyone always reminds me of orange bowl game some years ago when steele was there..that’s all i hear is don’t trust steele lol hope there wrong..go canes

just get ivey and flagg off the field, who the **** do I have to pay? PM me your paypal.

Who do we play at LB then? I don’t think steed looked that great either. Both are too slow, Smith #4 is just clueless and always out of position. I mean we are already running just two LB out we are so bad. Can we trust chase smith or Caleb Johnson? I think by mid season we see Wesley a lot more. Flagg isn’t really the issue if he is getting guys lined up and in correct spots for now.

One of the reasons I'm not sweating that TD. It was blown coverage from somebody clearly not in tune 100% with the playbook. Everyone will improve once they've got it down. I'd be more concerned if BCC had just straight up out talented/played us for the TD. Though their WRs look pretty darn good for them and so does Jones. They might have a nice season.

Running QBs still an issue ...

Last edited:
Advertisement
In a way, I’m glad for the breakdowns. Steele and Addae will have teaching tape today and can reinforce the fact that you HAVE to be where the call requires you or it doesn’t work. No freelancing or you hurt the entire defense.

Agreed. Southern miss is another nice step up before A&M.

Can anyone answer how many snaps A. Williams played or at all? Did he switch numbers?

Seemed like it was just kitchens and James back at safety 99% of the game

Who do we play at LB then? I don’t think steed looked that great either. Both are too slow, Smith #4 is just clueless and always out of position. I mean we are already running just two LB out we are so bad. Can we trust chase smith or Caleb Johnson? I think by mid season we see Wesley a lot more. Flagg isn’t really the issue if he is getting guys lined up and in correct spots for now.
This post would have exploded the Board last season…

Advertisement
One of the reason I'm not sweating that TD. It was blown coverage from somebody clearly not in tune 100% with the playbook. Everyone will improve once they've got it down. I'd be more concerned if BCC had just straight up out talented/played us for the TD. Though their WRs look pretty darn good for them and so does Jones. They might have a nice season.

Running QBs still an issue ...

Lack of pass rush by our front 4 is concerning. We didn’t blitz and that’s fine no reason to show the playbook but I didn’t see anyone but Mesidor and Jackson beat their guys 1 on 1. Maybe they are being taught to hold the point of attack more verse shoot gaps. It will be interesting to see how that line develops.

Other observations.

We did have 3 INTs.

Quality post!!!

Thomas Davis destroyed the RT on the James Williams INT. That get off was crazy.

Y’all should go back and watch that bih. It jumped off the screen and next thing I know was a pick!

That was amazing. Seeing Miami get some turnovers is great!

It has been a hallmark of all our great teams. I remember in the past few seasons when we couldn’t get any interceptions.

Really would like to see us take the leap from 90th in interceptions last season towards top 20-15 this season.

So props to Addae and Steele.

Quick glance around the NCAA stats wise holy **** how the F does Western Kentucky have 7 INTS in 2 games

Advertisement
Back