Steele's defense and some...

Advertisement
Jackson isn’t a big time player yet lol. That was only the what 2nd start of his career. If anything mesidor is making it easy for him
I agree .... but if DJ is getting doubled that helps Mesidor as well...it benefits both and others down the line...

Any tidbits you can share?

BS85, I actually watched the FSU-LSU game with him on Sunday, and some other folks. He said something really interesting when I brought up Flagg's snap count, he explained that sometimes as a coach, you give guys a chance to keep jobs, or lose snaps. He says there's a reason why certain guys play a lot early despite what we might think or see. But there are times, you give guys enough rope to hang themselves, in essence.

At the game, he said it was evident our defense still wasn't good at leveraging the ball back inside to help defenders, and attacking the proper shoulder (something he did a really good video on last night)

As for Mario, Coach Hayes says Mario was a workaholic, said he never, ever saw his family while at FIU. Also his stories about the FIU facilities were funny. I mean, literally, it was one room, with an accordion door to separate people, lol

But yeah, watching the game with him is great, the guy really can distill football into it's simplest form.

Advertisement
BS85, I actually watched the FSU-LSU game with him on Sunday, and some other folks. He said something really interesting when I brought up Flagg's snap count, he explained that sometimes as a coach, you give guys a chance to keep jobs, or lose snaps. He says there's a reason why certain guys play a lot early despite what we might think or see. But there are times, you give guys enough rope to hang themselves, in essence.

At the game, he said it was evident our defense still wasn't good at leveraging the ball back inside to help defenders, and attacking the proper shoulder (something he did a really good video on last night)

As for Mario, Coach Hayes says Mario was a workaholic, said he never, ever saw his family while at FIU. Also his stories about the FIU facilities were funny. I mean, literally, it was one room, with an accordion door to separate people, lol

But yeah, watching the game with him is great, the guy really can distill football into it's simplest form.
Good stuff

I’ve never coached but when I talk to those that do one thing that always sticks out is trust

Yes that drives fans crazy that think upper classmen are given favoritism but nothing drives a coach more insane than blown assignments

Everything Mario and Steele have said so far is that Flagg has their trust. He doesn’t “miss” plays though he is limited physically

So it all makes sense why they praise him, he plays a lot, but they are also talking publicly about trying to accelerate guys like Wes

Saturday was a reminder of what many of us have been saying all summer.....this defense is solid on the line and at the safety spots.....but below Miami standards at CB and LB.

I know they (coaching staff) and the kid himself posture to the media and say the move ain't happening....but it's pretty **** apparent they are going to be forced to move Williams to either a straight up linebacker role or a hybrid closer to the line of scrimmage on a FULL time basis.

You've got 3 good safeties and a combination of crap and youth at linebacker. Either get the puppies on the field or move your freakazoid safety up to linebacker and sell him on being a better version of Isaiah Simmons. It's what this team needs. In a perfect world we could leave him roaming centerfield but this depth chart needs him closer to the line of scrimmage and a way to get all 3 of those safeties on the filed at once, on a permanent basis.
Stop. JW isn’t half the athlete Simmons is. James should be a LB just based off his lack of movement skills. The other issue is he’s light. He needs to gain some weight to be an every down LB

Advertisement
Do you really think they aren’t trying? Mario said today they are trying to get Wes up to speed as fast as possible. In the meantime, Flagg is like a coach on the field making sure guys know their position a and responsibilities. He’s got the mental stuff down at a higher level than the other guys. It’s really sad how the fan base can’t support the guys on the field and trust the coaches to do their jobs.
Lol you must be new. We been trash for 20 years. People are not going to be patient. Is what it is

Lol you must be new. We been trash for 20 years. People are not going to be patient. Is what it is

Some are not going to be patient ... the types whose makeup is to be nothing more than malcontents. There will always be something for them.

Most knew this was more than a 1-year build. We just want to see that we've turned the corner.

Advertisement
I dont think we blitzed once.
Rewatch the game tape,
If not mistaken we only ran one stunt upfront and it led to a sack. We played a very boring D from DL to DB.
After installing a new defense, the first time seeing these guys in a real game, I don't think that was an objective for the staff in what was in effect, a tune up game. They're talking the long view. They're trying to find out what they have to work with (in terms of personnel) and what they have to focus on (in terms of scheme and technique) to prepare for the core of the schedule.

I'm convinced that if they make the proper adjustments and put players in positions where they can be successful, you will be adequately stimulated.

you’ve seen me mention a few times how I found it odd he was SO buried. They have a **** of a logjam at his position. Steed and Smith ahead. And, it looks like they want to use James Williams as a hybrid LB in subpackages. I hope Chase Smith gets an opportunity.
This is one they have to find a place for. If he doesn't get burn, after the season, I can see him hitting the portal.

Flagg just isn't a great athlete so he needs everyone to do their jobs correctly.
For example, on the play that Flagg blitzed up the middle, the QB gets around the right end. Knee jerk reaction is to complain that Flagg didn't get to the QB when he was a free blitzer, but if the d-end just contains (can't remember who), then Flagg gets the sack. Flagg did his job well on that play but isn't so good that he can make plays based on athleticism when others mess up their assignments.

So on that play do we moan about Flagg's lack of athleticism, or do we recognize that the d-end gave the QB an easy out?
It was a bit disturbing how many times the DE’s lost contain vs Bethune. I mean the 1st responsibility a DE has, is to contain. Especially with a mobile QB. Why those dudes kept taking those angles instead of setting the edge is mind boggling. I’ll be shocked if this problem wasn’t addressed in the 1st practiSe after the game.

I mean we’re talking about fundamentals here. Defensive football 101 mang!! D needs to tighten up and get their ****t together before some well coached team comes along and pushes their ****t in for them.

Gotta believe Steele can easily clean this up and we won’t have to talk about this anymore. We definitely have bigger fish to fry on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
It was a bit disturbing how many times the DE’s lost contain vs Bethune. I mean the 1st responsibility a DE has, is to contain. Especially with a mobile QB. Why those dudes kept taking those angles instead of setting the edge is mind boggling. I’ll be shocked if this problem wasn’t addressed in the 1st practiSe after the game.

I mean we’re talking about fundamentals here. Defensive football 101 mang!! D needs to tighten up and get their ****t together before some well coached team comes along and pushes their ****t in for them.

Gotta believe Steele can easily clean this up and we won’t have to talk about this anymore. We definitely have bigger fish to fry on that side of the ball.
Agreed completely. And the one play where the d-end went inside and the blitzer (JW) goes to the same gap and JW gets knocked to the ground and the QB walks around the edge which has no one. One of them clearly went to the wrong gap.
I can understand why Kelly was beat a couple times to the edge as he probably never had a QB who could outrun him to the edge in high school. But it was harder to understand for the other d-ends who all have experience at that position.

I expect a massive jump in sound execution in containment assignments vs S. Miss.

I haven't read up on the QB though, so not even sure if it'll matter like it does vs true Dual Threat QBs
There qb was like a top 10-15 dual threat qb when he came out as a recruit.

There qb was like a top 10-15 dual threat qb when he came out as a recruit.

Maybe. But he started in 3 games, played in 4 last season, and still only threw the ball 65 times. He was 33 of 65 (51%) for 355 yards or 89 yards per game. 3 TDs, 4 Ints. . vs Liberty, he was 4 of 8 (50%) for 89 yards with 0 TDs, 2 Ints.

It's not like he has huge success rushing. In 2021 over 4 games he had 40 attempts for 55 yards. vs. Liberty he was 7 rushed for 27 yards. I wonder how many of those were broken pass attempts?

Seriously, that BCU QB was 10x the QB this guy is. This is the most one dimensional team we will have played since Phil Johnson was HC at Ga Tech, maybe even before that.

Advertisement
Back