Steele's defense and some...

Advertisement
You're talking to the wrong guy in reference to that comparison...I was the guy yelling and screaming on these boards that Ray Ray was a linebacker all the way. My man gets to the pros and they INSTANTLY convert him to a linebacker but I digress.

Granted, JW is MUCH better in space than Ray Ray ever was. JW isn't as stiff and he definitely has more dexterity. Like I said in my first post in a perfect world with a stacked linebacking depth chart we don't even need to consider this move and can leave him in center field. However....the linebacker depth chart is BADDDDD. We've already got people in here pinning their hopes to a true freshman and in all fairness to that kid, I doubt he's ready.

JW, if nothing else, could cover tight ends and act as a weakside backer/Striker type closer to the line of scrimmage. The lack of speed we currently have on defense is a problem, which is why finding a way to have all 3 of those safeties on the field together helps to alleviate the problem and gets our best 11 on the field at once.
The dude can't play in the box as a yer round linebacker.
A Sam has to take on a tackle or guard, a right guard or right tackle, who are ether mauling types.
You think he's gonna be good vs a Mauigoa type? K...
I dunno he's not a 5 star safety or linebacker, but he's a great football player, I just think he has to turn up his cement head mentality and just start smashing some more, still tackles with his chest too much and gets swallowed by an OL on blitzes a little too often, but he's pretty solid just a little slow for the deeps.
I think he's a rover type of safety plus mid middle comes down to the flats and takes on the TE or RBs or bigger slot receiver, not outside and blitzes off the edge, mind you he isn't super great at that.

Steele didn't show much of his playbook anyways. Everything he did was just vanilla stuff. I didn't see many stunts or disguising blitzes. The only reason BCU was able to score was because of us making mental mistakes or missing tackles. If Steele truly went all out against BCU I doubt they would score a TD all game. We're not going to get a good understanding of this defense until ACC play and even then we're still going to give up points, it's just the nature of college football.
At some point you have to show ur hand...if not vs Southern Miss, then most definitely vs A&M.

Flagg just isn't a great athlete so he needs everyone to do their jobs correctly.
For example, on the play that Flagg blitzed up the middle, the QB gets around the right end. Knee jerk reaction is to complain that Flagg didn't get to the QB when he was a free blitzer, but if the d-end just contains (can't remember who), then Flagg gets the sack. Flagg did his job well on that play but isn't so good that he can make plays based on athleticism when others mess up their assignments.

So on that play do we moan about Flagg's lack of athleticism, or do we recognize that the d-end gave the QB an easy out?
I remember the play you’re talking about. I’m pretty sure Flagg stood up and stopped and maybe held his hands up like he was going to pass which allow the QB to scramble.

Advertisement
Even the DE knows where the ball is and is headed in that direction.

And maybe this is just me being critical but I'd think after that he would want to make up for it.. but no. The very next play its like he doesn't want any contact. Just slapping at the ball.

His next 3 plays after the one in the picture:

1) Avoids contact and slaps at the ball.
2) Good thing it was a run because he was slipping and tripping
3)Through shear talent and determination misses this tackle.
View attachment 206997

Also requesting that the mods replace this :pgdead: with this View attachment 206998

I want to say no

But I want to say yes

Man this is how chicks feel all the time? That’s rough

Flagg just isn't a great athlete so he needs everyone to do their jobs correctly.
For example, on the play that Flagg blitzed up the middle, the QB gets around the right end. Knee jerk reaction is to complain that Flagg didn't get to the QB when he was a free blitzer, but if the d-end just contains (can't remember who), then Flagg gets the sack. Flagg did his job well on that play but isn't so good that he can make plays based on athleticism when others mess up their assignments.

So on that play do we moan about Flagg's lack of athleticism, or do we recognize that the d-end gave the QB an easy out?
Guys would actually have to know football to answer thar question.

Easy answer and most common answer us: Flagg fault for not getting the sack.

Have to remember that most people are "highlight watchers"....easy to tell who actually watches the games and who has it on while outside cutting the grass/grilling/hanging with friends etc. Pop in every once in a while and see a play or two, then post-game come on CIS to discuss the game....

I remember the play you’re talking about. I’m pretty sure Flagg stood up and stopped and maybe held his hands up like he was going to pass which allow the QB to scramble.
You're right but ATL is right too because if the DEF contains on that play, we get the sack. A good defense is the sum of all it's parts...the comparison I always make is the Clemson Tigers defenses with the 3 star LBs they had....Skalski and Boulware...both won National Championships and neither lit the world on fire by their respective athleticism. They were sound in their assignments and the DL did their job....resulting in an immovable force of a DEF.

Advertisement
I didn't need to ask, I knew what the grade was. And it's why PFF is considered a joke amongst NFL personnel.

If you use that as a measuring stick, find something else. They'll have you believing bad players are good and good players are bad.
Correct.... Flagg had 4 tackles... 4... 2 solo.... A starting MLB at UM had 4 tackles against a FCS opponent and this deserves praise???.. Sorry ..but no...
By chance has he touched the QB he had dead to rights on the failed blitz yet???...

Flagg clearly lacks the physical and athletic attributes to play on a high-caliber Miami defense; however, after watching the game live and again on tape, he absolutely gets others lined up and is relied upon by the staff to get us aligned pre-snap. Multiple times he can be seen moving tackles and yelling at others who are out of place.

The question is whether his knowledge of the defense and other intangibles are sufficient to make him a starter ahead of those who are stronger, quicker and can create more havoc.

I will defer to the coaches as Steele and Strong know what they are doing.

But those who question his ability based on his performance are not without merit.
Flagg’s snaps will decrease as the season goes on.

They are a dramatically improved team from last year's version. I think they'll surprise a lot of people this year.
I’m definitely worried about our D. I was really surprised and extremely disappointed in the chuck plays and lack of QB containment. Coming into our first game all I heard was our D was better than our O and would be our strength this year. I did not see it. Cookman had us gasping and befuddled at times. Think on that Cookman. Jeez we definitely need to improve asap. Looked really ugly.

Advertisement
Agreed. They seemed underprepared for the BCC offense, and Steele acknowledged having little film on the QB.

We need to see a more disciplined unit this Saturday.
Southern Miss runs like 85% of the time. Should be a pretty straight forward gameplan...somehow though, I see #8 getting burned again.

Advertisement
Even the DE knows where the ball is and is headed in that direction.

And maybe this is just me being critical but I'd think after that he would want to make up for it.. but no. The very next play its like he doesn't want any contact. Just slapping at the ball.

His next 3 plays after the one in the picture:

1) Avoids contact and slaps at the ball.
2) Good thing it was a run because he was slipping and tripping
3)Through shear talent and determination misses this tackle.
View attachment 206997

Also requesting that the mods replace this :pgdead: with this View attachment 206998

ivey.png

gravity falls steven bomb GIF

Southern Miss runs like 85% of the time. Should be a pretty straight forward gameplan...somehow though, I see #8 getting burned again.
Sooooo you're saying Ivey will make Gore Jr look like a Heisman candidate???... .🤣🤣🤣... LOL!!!

The defensive problems are fixable but you just have to hope they get fixed. If there was more discipline at the LOS we would have held them to under 200 yards. There were 4 or 5 plays that gained 100+ yards that should have been stopped at the LOS.

Advertisement
Back