Steele, Strong, and our LBS

WILL: Bissainthe He is very instinctive and quick. I believe he could start as a freshman.
SAM : Chase S.
I have no no idea who to put in the middle

James Williams stays at safety. On 1st and Short yardage downs should be down in the box, and back on obvious passing situations.

At least we now have coaches I believe will make the best choices. The coaches better know more than us. I'm not so sure that was the case with the last staff.

Advertisement
People may disagree, but I think we have some players in the LB room. The new scheme and a disciplined DL will help them tremendously.

Some of the LBs were set up to fail in the scheme they were playing in and being asked to do. If they can clean up the tackling we should be serviceable there.

K smith will eat, steeds a good 1st guy off the bench. We just need an alpha Mike type backer. C smith will cut dudes down. Johnson is a guy who interest me, but haven’t heard anything about him.

We are heavy on numbers so need some dead weight to transfer out if we are going to add anyone. I actually think we will be ok on the outside, there is some young talent, change of position candidates, older guys coming off injury and even some decent experience and depth. Not too worried there, enough on hand to work with that will now be receiving A+ coaching.

Its that intimidating enforcer on the inside I think we are severely lacking. There is nobody on the current roster to plug in there. We need a big time MLB to transfer in and change the whole dynamic of this defense.

Advertisement
I actually think Thomas Davis may be a player.
I’d put him at Mike LB. Too short and stubby to come off the edge. You’ve got to have length these days with spacing and the size of offensive tackles.

Get him off the ball and I think he’d be a stud. Already strong enough to take on blocks in the trenches and shed and make plays. Not sure how far back his injury set him in speed and agility though

Having said that^^, they’ve got to cover their bases and scour the portal for talent.

What I don’t get is this conviction in some quarters that Chase Smith is a LB. Maybe he is but where’s the evidence. IMO this kid’s body type and athletic gifts are best suited for competition at safety. Same goes for Keontra, he will have to compete at safety or he’s out of here. That Smith to LB stuff is a product of Manny Diaz’ “STRIKER” BS.

THERE AREN’T GOING TO HE ANY STRIKERS IN THIS DEFENSE. You can bet on that! There are going to be guys who can tackle, PERIOD. The premium is going to be in stopping the run and tackling. We are going to be moving to BIG LB’s. No more waifs playing “striker”.

A guy like Moss played safety early in HS. He can move. He can cover AND stop the run. You don’t have to be 5’9” to cover out of the LB position.

Advertisement
But let's remember who was coaching LBs. Diaz, Baker and Patke (I don't really count Aristide). Other than Flagg's athletic limitations, we honestly have no idea how good or bad the rest of the kids are. Brooks and Huff were talented players in HS. Maybe they were bad evals, but maybe the lights come on.
This is what I'm thinking.

Real coaches could turn all these dudes into decent players.

Thomas Davis is a ? At this point. Does he have the speed and ability to play in space to be a LB? This is an unknown at this point. Hem may not have a position in college at a place like this.

Do you guys remember big number 2 at USC a while back at safey..yea JW He needs to be closer to the LOS for sure. I said it when we signed him. I get HE views his strength playing centerfield in the backend. And 15 years ago I’d agree. But in today’s game use him as a queen. Move him around and take advantage of his tools. Same way FSU used Derwin and Ramsey or Simmons at Clemson. Gotta Get your best players closer to the ball imo. 6”5 225 plus he has the tools to do it. But I don’t want him lining as LB in the traditional sense
Taylor Mays, man would be suspended every game if he played in today’s league

Even more dangerous for that PSU receiver was Sandusky waiting on the sideline.

Advertisement
This has been a glaring issue, but I'm curious to see if they can get 2 of these guys to become all conference types.

Chase Smith - biggest upside
Keontra Smith - best instincts (small)
Corey Flagg - no comment
Wesley Bissainthe - big upside (young)
Gilbert Frierson - versatile
Waynmon Steed - experienced
Sam Brooks - good size (injuries)
Tirek Austin-Cave - most intriguing
Deshawn Troutman - has pop (small)
Avery Huff - tbd

The first thing the new staff has to emphasize is size to go along with speed. This is not a serious LB depth chart. A lot of those guys are 215 and below.

Advertisement
Haven't seen him mentioned in the thread (maybe I missed it) but any chance G. Frierson could get some run at WILL? Looks like he's filled out well.

I think we have more dudes on the roster than may initially be apparent. Curious to see how the new staff sees these kids, and what opportunities/positions they are given an opportunity to try out.

Wouldn't make sense to me to let JW fly around the backfield just to draw BS targeting calls at sit on the sidelines. You put your star players in position to make star plays
What you said makes no sense. He is in position to make plays every down. At least he was in *****’s defense.. he blitzed, he dropped in the flats and mid zones and also deep and man to man. He can impact the game more than anyone else because you never know where he will be. He has the best instincts out of everyone on the roster.. you let him run wild and make plays like they let him do in HS. As a coach you TEACH him how to tackle properly and not get those penalties. But you absolutely let him do what he does best. He can be a 90 tackle, 5 sack, 5 pick guy easily.

Advertisement
Back