Stat comparison with last year

Stats lie all the time. Lol. That’s y context is important, and y discussing sports is fun. That’s y it’s always best to see w/ ur eyes vs. going by box scores. Off but on topic; Russell Westbrook set the NBA record for most triple doubles in a season; on paper that looked good, but when you watched the games, you would see how a lot of those triple doubles were impact-less & inefficient.

Our run game went from looking all world to back to normal, which have inflated that stat. Our O was looking all world to pretty pedestrian over the last 3 weeks. I will say that Lashlee is still light yrs better than Enos, but that’s not saying much. We still have way too much talent to struggle like we do.

we don’t have talent where it matters. The O-Line. Not one of those guys on the O-line who are currently playing will even make a CFL roster.

that’s terrible for a P5 program and Miami to say. You can’t do much when your offensive line is terrible.

Advertisement
You're attaining some mad skills there RVA! Gotta admit my favorite is AUcane.

No doubt there are 3 factions of fans here.

The extremists that say errbody sucks, 5-1 ain't good enough, burn down the program, fire the entire staff.

The slurpers enjoyed slip-n-slide as kids and are happy with the state of the program and 5-1 has us in the discussion.

The majority us us are somewhere in the middle and yet have differing opinions about the current state of the program and where it might be headed short term and long term.

We all see it from different points of view based on any number of contributing factors. I've been around since 1967 so I've experienced BNC and ANC - Before NC's and After NC's. I've always been a big picture guy. I try to view things from multiple points of view and make decisions based on facts and not emotion. Not always easy but it works for me.

There are things from the extremists I agree with. There are things from the slurpers I agree with. Bottom line is I'm a Cane and the majority on here are as well. We all want to see our team be successful - we just have different opinions about how to get there.
the "extremists" like me see that we are lucky to be at 5-1 and see some regression and recurring issues. it feels a lot like 2017 when it was a mirage.

Couple caveats here. There are better teams in the second half of the schedule, so some of these stats may change considerably. Second, when comparing 2020 to 2019, I measured the 2020 stats by where they would rank last year. This year's rankings don't mean much given the staggered conference schedules.

Scoring Offense

2019- 22.6 (99th)
2020- 32.8 (26th)

Yards per play

2019- 5.1 (97th)
2020- 5.6 (58th)

Yards per pass

2019- 7.2 (73rd)
2020- 7.5 (58th)

Yards per rush

2019- 3.5 (119th)
2020- 4.3 (58th)

Third down percentage

2019- 25.97% (130th out of 130)
2020- 43.96% (25th)

Sack percentage allowed

2019- 11.06% (122nd)
2020- 8.06% (102nd)

Rush play percentage

2019- 44.95% (112th)
2020- 52.58% (62nd)

Field Goal percentage

2019- 63.16% (104th)
2020- 90.91% (6th)

Red Zone Scoring Percentage

2019- 73.68% (112th)
2020- 90.48% (19th)

Scoring Defense

2019- 21.9 (26th)
2020- 22.2 (28th)

Yards per play against

2019- 4.6 (10th)
2020- 5.1 (31st)

Yards per pass against

2019- 6.9 (37th)
2020- 6.2 (7th)

Yards per rush against

2019- 3.2 (10th)
2020- 4.2 (56th)

Third down percentage defense

2019- 38.50% (53rd)
2020- 33.33% (21st)

Sack percentage (defense)

2019- 11.03% (2nd)
2020- 6.1% (70th)

Takeaways per game

2019- 1.6 (40th)
2020- 1.5 (44th)

Quick observations. Big improvements in scoring offense (+73) and third-down percentage (+105). Also much better in the red zone (+93) and FGs (+98). Our pass protection is much improved but still bad.

Our pass rush (-68) and rush defense (-46) are way down. Shaq and Rousseau are the big personnel losses there. Our pass defense (+30) and third down defense (+32) are trending up, likely due to a more experienced secondary. Our scoring defense is stable so far but will be tested in the weeks to come.
Positives; Portal and spread offense. King, Borregales best recruits period.
Negative: Maybe the DL is trying to compensate for lb play being a cry for help thus the sack count and pressures are down.
Oline is just bothersome. All 5 spots up for grabs next year? Hopefully Rivers, Scaife, Walker, Gaynor, Zion take steps forward and maybe that last NY kid EL Gammal puts on for his city like Harrison-Hunte and Blissett.

I still think every game on the schedule is winnable but they will all be decided in the 4th and leave us frustrated, lol. We're not the only team with glaring weaknesses. We do need better OL play and the running game to get going with non predictable run plays called.

Advertisement
Oh Gawd you’re so macho, you manly man. It takes balls to admit you were wrong and that this Coach is what he is as opposed to doubling and tripling down on your errors. Chise did it after Pitt, I did it after UVA.

Unlike the extreme mopes who never gave this guy a chance, and the consistent Slurpers, who spin and excuse and justify any way they can, the middle majority are the swing voters. And that middle is tired of more of the same Corchery.

Call it what you want. The slurper excusers and their supporters are the pûssies in this situation
Where do you place me @RVACane ? lol
Look, I try to see the big picture, and I really want Manny to succeed. But there is that feeling that something missing in his coaching. We just can't give him the excuse of brand new HC since he had full control of the defense for 3 years already, recruiting and development.

I'm just looking at what we have now and wonder where is players' development? Where is the consistency -a hallmark of a good team? Our best players on the team are a transfer QB, transfer DE and a transfer safety! What does that tell you? What happen if all leave next year? Hoping for our luck to continue in the graduate transfer market?

It is not about 5-1 record and being ungrateful fan unhappy about it. It is about the uneasy feeling about the whole picture. Those of us who have been there and seen that know what I'm talking about.

You can be happy about THIS season AND be pessimistic about the future at the same time.

I'm happy to be 5-1 but when I watch this team play...and look at certain things behind the scenes...I'm not optimistic about our future/ceiling.

You don't have to pick one side or the other.
As I was writing my post I just noticed you are saying basically the same thing lol

Advertisement
You can be happy about THIS season AND be pessimistic about the future at the same time.

I'm happy to be 5-1 but when I watch this team play...and look at certain things behind the scenes...I'm not optimistic about our future/ceiling.

Excellent, straight forward post, brother.

Even if you see improvement in this team...and there is...idk how you can be overly optimistic about the future.

You're a corch until you're not.

Dabo was a corch until he wasn't.

Manny has to beat NCSt and end up around 9-3/10-2.

In the offseason: fire Rumph, keep the potential NFL kids for 2021, sign a great 2021 class, and prepare for 2021. If that all happens, 2021 should look a ton better.

Football is all about momentum on and off the field.

This is where I'm at, although I'm mixed about the future.

Reasons for optimism: We're landing kids like Don Chaney, Leonard Taylor and James Williams. That's something new. Manny has exceeded my expectations as a recruiter. He's also been pretty good at adjustments and fixing problems since he's been at Miami.

Reasons for negativity: Still not sold on Manny as the leader of the program who holds everyone accountable. Teams have adjusted to our offense after the first two weeks.

The NC State game will be big. Let's see how the team performs coming off a bye against a well-coached team.

the "extremists" like me see that we are lucky to be at 5-1 and see some regression and recurring issues. it feels a lot like 2017 when it was a mirage.
I don’t that you’re view is that extreme. It’s actually realistic in my view. I’ve seen some good things and bad. Overall at this point in the season with the added challenges of Covid, we’ve managed to beat the teams we should. How the rest of the season plays out depends on 2 things - Covid and can Manny keep the team motivated every week.

Advertisement
Where do you place me @RVACane ? lol
Look, I try to see the big picture, and I really want Manny to succeed. But there is that feeling that something missing in his coaching. We just can't give him the excuse of brand new HC since he had full control of the defense for 3 years already, recruiting and development.

I'm just looking at what we have now and wonder where is players' development? Where is the consistency -a hallmark of a good team? Our best players on the team are a transfer QB, transfer DE and a transfer safety! What does that tell you? What happen if all leave next year? Hoping for our luck to continue in the graduate transfer market?

It is not about 5-1 record and being ungrateful fan unhappy about it. It is about the uneasy feeling about the whole picture. Those of us who have been there and seen that know what I'm talking about.
I place myself in your category. I’m just being honest with myself in what I’m seeing. I want us to get wins and hold the class but I’m not going to pretend like the UVA performance and the slip-n-slide after makes me feel comfortable with the standards for success being set.

It is immature and naive to entrench yourself in one position or another at this juncture.

Manny is a new head coach, which is much different than being a coordinator. My position is, and has been, that the body of work will be this year’s record.

Being pessimistic based on the trajectory of the UVA game is a defensible position.

Making up an alternate reality by saying we barely beat Pitt and UAB, when we actually beat them quite comfortably, like some people tried to convince me me of just a few posts up, is just weak minded people trying to be popular with current thinking on CIS.

Optimism: fired offensive staff after the worst O performance in years and went Air Raid, recruiting has been great, portal use has been great

Negativity: personnel/snap counts continue to lean on experience over talent (Patch over GR in 2019, Wiggins over Smith 2020) and keeping Rumph.

Agree it is all about NC State. Then keeping the current kids for 2021, landing a good class...

Advertisement
And to think we did this with no bethune cookman's on the schedule to hang 70 on. I agree we have struggled the last few weeks but there has been improvement over last season.
For how stagnant we get at times the scheme really has improved this team at least somewhat immediately. Now if we learn it’s legal to attack between the numbers look out

This is where I'm at, although I'm mixed about the future.

Reasons for optimism: We're landing kids like Don Chaney, Leonard Taylor and James Williams. That's something new. Manny has exceeded my expectations as a recruiter. He's also been pretty good at adjustments and fixing problems since he's been at Miami.

Reasons for negativity: Still not sold on Manny as the leader of the program who holds everyone accountable. Teams have adjusted to our offense after the first two weeks.

The NC State game will be big. Let's see how the team performs coming off a bye against a well-coached team.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. My biggest off-field issue is his unwillingness to date to make changes to defensive staff like he did on offense. I question the standards of success he sets as mentioned before.

On field, aside from sticking with underperforming players with seniority too long, I don’t see adjustments- And really Lashlee going back to the inside run that isn’t working so often is standing out. I’d like to see more press man coverage on D and see Brooks and Flagg - when he returns - continue to get more snaps.

It is immature and naive to entrench yourself in one position or another at this juncture.

Manny is a new head coach, which is much different than being a coordinator. My position is, and has been, that the body of work will be this year’s record.

Being pessimistic based on the trajectory of the UVA game is a defensible position.

Making up an alternate reality by saying we barely beat Pitt and UAB, when we actually beat them quite comfortably, like some people tried to convince me me of just a few posts up, is just weak minded people trying to be popular with current thinking on CIS.
Not sure if you’re referring to me but I recall standing up for Manny after the Pitt game - more so in a Fireside Chat - that I didn’t think that we got lucky to beat Pitt because Pickett didn’t play.

My issue with the UVA game has nothing to do with CIS popularity. It has to do with the fact that it wasn’t a great performance against a now 1-5 team and I felt that our coach should have been humble after the game, expecting much better, and instead the optics were of him clowning around and celebrating.

For how stagnant we get at times the scheme really has improved this team at least somewhat immediately. Now if we learn it’s legal to attack between the numbers look out
I agree, I wish Lashlee wasn't so ****-bent on the inside zone but I also know we have scored multiple long TD's off fakes of the inside zone. Just wish we would try and get the backs on the edge more often. Having Brevin back should also help down the seam.

Advertisement
Back