Stat comparison with last year

So when do we bring up Coach Stroud? Honestly, outside of Rousseau’s freakish length, I didn’t see anything from pass rush standpoint that stood out. The jury is out on Stroud as well.
I don't know much about him... but I know our most polished pass rusher...and I mean pass rush moves, get-off, hands, etc... spent 4 years at another program before he came here.

I've seen moves from him that I haven't seen from any of our Defensive Ends in years.

Advertisement
U mean disco inferno? Seriously though I've always thought he has good to great hand placement and a decent swim. But he's a one trick pony.
He’s got some quickness and balance though from basketball or is that not the issue?

I don't know much about him... but I know our most polished pass rusher...and I mean pass rush moves, get-off, hands, etc... spent 4 years at another program before he came here.

I've seen moves from him that I haven't seen from any of our Defensive Ends in years.
So bring in the Temple DL coach that he played under. How’s their CB’s and LB’s coaches? Lol

We did not dominate UAB, UVA, or Pitt this yr. Not even close. Lol.

UVA was a late PI for coming back and beating us, along w an absolutely blown pick 6, and an illegal man downfield from beating us.

Pitt was in our back yard all game long, with a back up QB who had like 4 snaps under his belt. We were bailed out by 2 or 3 complete wide open drops that would’ve killed us.

UAB was a dog fight as well. I suggest you go back & look at this condensed version. Scoreboard said 31-14, and it took everything to score that 31.

Like I said, we’ve improved in some areas, and regressed in others. We’re an uneven team right now.
You’re right man. Anyone thinking we dominated those games is reaching, and if they’re doing it in defense of Coach Slip-n-Slide, they’re firmly establishing their Slurper credentials

Again
🤦🏻‍♂️

This defense has been the same for 4 years. If we don't take the ball away, we are an aggressive bend but don't break. That's why we depend so much on TFL and sacks. In the first few years, we took the ball away a lot. The last two years, not as much. We are more opportunistic than anything.

''aggressive bend but don't break'' is a great way to put it

I just wish our defense was more sound.

Where have you gone Sonny Lubick?

Advertisement
I’ve already stated in another thread:

We were 6-7 last year. The 6 wins came against one FCS school, one G5 school, FSU, UVA, Pitt, and UL.

So far we’ve played one G5 school, Pitt, UVA, FSU, UL, and Clemson.

-The 5 wins are identical, thus far, against the same opponents with eerily similar results:
-We struggled against a tough minded G5 school in CMU last yr, we struggled against a tough minded G5 school in UAB this yr.

-We had our best statical games against UL & FSU last yr, we’ve had our best statical games against UL & FSU this yr.

-We struggled in a dog fight w UVA & Pitt last yr, we struggled in a dog fight w/ Pitt & UVA this yr.

-We were 0 for in bye weeks last yr; we are 0 for (so far) after a bye week this yr.

The difference is when we played a top team last yr in UF, we didn’t get mopped, and it could be argued we beat ourselves that game. This yr, we played a top team in Clemson & got motor boated.

So can I say we got better? In some areas, yes, in other areas no, hence the uneven play, and the feeling of we were fortunate v. we won. Now, if we come out focused, ready rock next Friday against NCSt, even w/ a back up QB, then let’s talk.
Even if for arguments sake we did play the same in those games, are you saying if we beat fiu gt duke and la tech instead of who we’ve beaten so far then you would be convinced we’re better?The wins against FSU Louisville Pitt and uva we’re our best games of the season whereas this year with the “same” performances they’re our only games.

You’re right man. Anyone thinking we dominated those games is reaching, and if they’re doing it in defense of Coach Slip-n-Slide, they’re firmly establishing their Slurper credentials

Again
🤦🏻‍♂️

@Rellyrell
We had 500 plus yards of offense agaist UAB. That game wasn't in doubt for a single second.
We were one bad King throw from beating Pitt 31-12.
We made Virginia punt or turn the ball over 9 consecutive drives between scores. Our failure to execute in the red zone kept that game from being a no contest.

I do find it odd that every single play NOT made by the other team is emphasized as luck for us and every overthrow, drop or near miss we have is ignored or blamed on coaching or terrible players don't you?

Regardless, the way those games played out isn't even in the same stratosphere as CMU and our head to head matchups last year. That's just ignoring or twisting facts.

Last edited:

Again
🤦🏻‍♂️

We beat Pitt and UAB handily. WTF are you people talking about? They were never in the game. You can play a less than perfect and sloppy game and still beat your opponent comfortably. Or were you people expecting, a 100 point win from this squad?

Advertisement
We had 500 plus yards of offense agaist UAB. That game wasn't in doubt for a single second.
We were one bad King throw from beating Pitt 31-12.
We made Virginia punt or turn the ball over 9 consecutive drives between scores. Our failure to execute in the red zone kept that game from being a no contest.

I do find it odd that every single play NOT made by the other team is emphasized as luck for us and every overthrow, drop or near miss we have is ignored or blamed on coaching or terrible players don't you?

Regardless, the way those games played out isn't even in the same stratosphere as CMU and our head to head matchups last year. That's just ignoring or twisting facts.
We will learn soon enough. Though I expected us to be more competitive with Clemson, that game was never going to be my gauge for the season. FSU, Louisville, VT, UNC - those were the ones I had circled with the 2 remaining ones being the hardest for us, as I saw it. We still have those two plus NC State and GT and GT beat us last year. I legit want to see 10-1 but 9-2 with a close loss to UNC and then a bowl game win so that we have no more than 2 losses on the season, will be good enough to win the swing CIS voters like me.

Again
🤦🏻‍♂️
Honestly; I don’t even care anymore man. Ppl on here are so desperate for a winning product, 5-1 is good for them. I just hope as I’ve said all season, we use this bye week, tighten things up, and we win out. We’re still vastly superior than our remaining opponents. That’s all.

Advertisement
Yes. You people. The cabal and it’s minions that decided to go with the flow. You know exactly what I’m talking about.
Yea. You’re talking about these people amongst many, some of whom saw enough with UVA and Coach Slip-n-Slide to jump on board:
55BACD62-C431-43C8-89D3-5C51046A4557.png
445C15C0-A004-49E0-9632-C7C6E4CD668B.jpeg
087F37F8-5118-4AC3-94A1-72018A11C979.jpeg
080985D4-DFF5-4995-80AE-970114E0A95B.jpeg
0402B6CD-05C1-49FD-B505-2954A036A59E.jpeg
038B4F3E-0F58-4A55-9B32-AEEA947571CA.gif
23EADF56-30D5-4B96-B15D-DFBB5C084623.jpeg
41D00109-4355-4901-881B-66BB814AE520.jpeg
EAEFD2E0-AD84-49EC-AC49-AA2F99007019.jpeg
EC9677B5-C0CB-4107-BA2E-038B8FC231CD.png
4D51A494-5CAF-4CE8-98CE-17EEE34751DE.jpeg
D0ADD1A4-61C4-47E9-BACF-84263735B6DD.png
00A7D1AD-A1AD-4295-B22D-C387CED64AFA.jpeg
10F56099-DA51-432C-8252-AB130F810DB6.png
B6C98C17-8DB3-448B-8860-5E44BC154194.jpeg
BBC8E481-E458-413D-9028-0CC10C519C3E.gif
FAD8DDF8-3D84-4CCC-8DE4-8D3FC3F4E3FA.jpeg
DE7E2E02-4BE9-43B2-971F-D416B82D1115.jpeg
E142DF04-B07A-4A57-84CF-D79B07C52CD8.gif
BA4DDA67-E708-412A-B181-7F9A152A12A1.jpeg
C1DEBDAF-88F1-471C-A67A-39D686F3D890.jpeg
90BE6B02-055E-495C-8F94-717072312F43.jpeg
2D02F328-B6CA-4736-A9BA-70974E96220A.png
0C2ABB61-5C16-403E-B255-DE06FEFB9683.jpeg
F77BDF25-7B23-4CBC-8698-C557EAD2BFD7.jpeg
58E7B7EA-89E9-413F-9ABD-D6FB2AA3FD52.jpeg
12B0EA53-353B-428D-97E7-9E43AE590854.jpeg
C2909783-84F5-4391-9314-4AC61C0EF63E.jpeg
DE9BE9C4-8522-4BC1-9B50-CFAC72FC5578.jpeg

Yea. You’re talking about these people amongst many, some of whom saw enough with UVA and Coach Slip-n-Slide to jump on board:

No balls

I prefer to be my own man and not go with everyone else.

But I’m glad being with the “in” crowd makes you feel better...cute little diagram, by the way

Oh Gawd you’re so macho, you manly man. It takes balls to admit you were wrong and that this Coach is what he is as opposed to doubling and tripling down on your errors. Chise did it after Pitt, I did it after UVA.

Unlike the extreme mopes who never gave this guy a chance, and the consistent Slurpers, who spin and excuse and justify any way they can, the middle majority are the swing voters. And that middle is tired of more of the same Corchery.

Call it what you want. The slurper excusers and their supporters are the pûssies in this situation

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh Gawd you’re so macho, you manly man. It takes balls to admit you were wrong and that this Coach is what he is as opposed to doubling and tripling down on your errors. Chise did it after Pitt, I did it after UVA.

Unlike the extreme mopes who never gave this guy a chance, and the consistent Slurpers, who spin and excuse and justify any way they can, the middle majority are the swing voters. And that middle is tired of more of the same Corchery.

Call it what you want. The slurper excusers and their supporters are the pûssies in this situation.

I stopped caring about 15 seconds after my last post, so don’t waste your time. By the way, I’m not seeing too much slurping going on. Unless you think not wanting to burn down the program right now is slurping.

I stopped caring about 15 seconds after my last post, so don’t waste your time. By the way, I’m not seeing too much slurping going on. Unless you think not wanting to burn down the program right now is slurping.
I see two entrenched groups and then a group in the middle that’s open-minded, and the majority of them saw that UVA game and then saw Coach Slip-n-Slide do his thing after that performance and said this guy doesn’t have the right mentality or leadership. We’re not standing by this.

You're attaining some mad skills there RVA! Gotta admit my favorite is AUcane.

No doubt there are 3 factions of fans here.

The extremists that say errbody sucks, 5-1 ain't good enough, burn down the program, fire the entire staff.

The slurpers enjoyed slip-n-slide as kids and are happy with the state of the program and 5-1 has us in the discussion.

The majority us us are somewhere in the middle and yet have differing opinions about the current state of the program and where it might be headed short term and long term.

We all see it from different points of view based on any number of contributing factors. I've been around since 1967 so I've experienced BNC and ANC - Before NC's and After NC's. I've always been a big picture guy. I try to view things from multiple points of view and make decisions based on facts and not emotion. Not always easy but it works for me.

There are things from the extremists I agree with. There are things from the slurpers I agree with. Bottom line is I'm a Cane and the majority on here are as well. We all want to see our team be successful - we just have different opinions about how to get there.

Good matchup of stats there and definitely shows an improved offense mostly by scheme not necessarily talent (outside of king).

Our sack % would be much lower if king would throw it away instead of run out of bounds behind the line or throw it after he’s already down. Been the cause of roughly half of the total sacks and yes I get he evades some sacks as well
And to think we did this with no bethune cookman's on the schedule to hang 70 on. I agree we have struggled the last few weeks but there has been improvement over last season.

Advertisement
Back