Stat comparison with last year

Advertisement
I thought I saw somewhere that Miami is still on the top five in QB pressures which is nice but it it speaks to the issue that opponents aren’t just sitting in the pocket waiting for patterns to develop against us. Pocket passers looking to throw downfield get eaten by this defense. Run first guys or guys throwing <10 yard passes seem to have more success.

2019 Sack leaders for Miami that aren't playing in 2020
GR (13 games) - 14 solo + 3 asst
Pickney (11 games) - 5 + 0
Garvin (12 games) - 5 + 0
Hill (12 games) - 4 + 1
Bandy - 3 + 0
Patchan - 2 + 1
Bethel - 1 + 1
Shaq - 1 + 0
Finley: 0

2020 LB sacks 5 over 6 games = .833/game
Jennings: 2
McCloud: 2
Ragone: 1

2020 DB sacks 1 over 6 games = .167/game
Bolden: 1

2020 DT 5 over 6 games = .833/game
Ford 0+0
Hunte 3+0
Miller 0+1
Nesta 1+0

VS

2019 LB sacks 7 over 13 games = .538/game
Pinckney 5 + 0
Shaq 1 + 0
Brooks 1 +0

2019 DB sacks 5 over 13 = .385/game
Hall 2+0
Brandy 3+ 0

2019 DT 3 over 13 games = .23/game
Ford 2+0
Hunte 0+0
Miller 0+0
Nesta 1+0
NOTE: Didn't count GR playing at DT which clearly as a large % of his sacks.

Anyone else wondering why we haven't tried Phillips at DT some similar to GR.

I thought I saw somewhere that Miami is still on the top five in QB pressures which is nice but it it speaks to the issue that opponents aren’t just sitting in the pocket waiting for patterns to develop against us. Pocket passers looking to throw downfield get eaten by this defense. Run first guys or guys throwing <10 yard passes seem to have more success.

theyre trying to get the ball out quickly. i believe Tlaw was doing the same thing to help neutralize our rush. if youre gonna get the ball out, its going to be hard to get guys on the ground unless youre coverage is absolutely perfection from the start

Advertisement
Hot take: this is the main difference between this year and last. BCU aside, the first 6 games last year were against much better opponents. I think Enos and Williams would have been able to score 20 points on Pitt and 14 points on UVA. We would basically have the same record with Williams and Enos, but the final scores would be closer. I'm not seeing the big improvement I expected from Lashlee. Truth be told, I think Enos PA based offense would have been more effective against UVA than Lashlees absurd inside zone run for - 3 yards based offense. It's also not like King is making a huge difference with his legs so there isn't much of a dual threat right now. Williams had a better deep ball so he might have hit some of those deep passes than King keeps missing so it's kind of a wash as to which QB has the edge.
Hot take it’s not, almost half of the field goals attempted were from one game vs Louisville

Not really. Play calling and scheme has had the same three stooges conglomerate handling it since mid last season. This is directly a result of(I'm gonna be nice here) inexperienced linebackers and a front four that is weak and unexplosive. The ends are more than capable IF the tackles get up field. 9 out of ten due to scheme and lack of talent for some they don't get up field much. That enables the oline to key on our ends and their not explosive enough to get home in that scenario. The problem with the scheme is the same it's always been. Just in most instances we only saw it previously against talented olines with great communication. Now we see it against anyone who can pick up a blitz. Our backers have potential but need more size and development our front four on the other hand other than nesta is either weak and uninspired or simply was horrible evals and the staph continues to show an inability to develop kids throughout their units. Call it how u wish.
Harrison Hunte?

So when do we bring up Coach Stroud? Honestly, outside of Rousseau’s freakish length, I didn’t see anything from pass rush standpoint that stood out. The jury is out on Stroud as well.
Speed/bull rush is all our guys have. It doesn’t even look like we’re trying to shed blocks at times. From a technique standpoint we have slowly declined since Kul left. Stroud seems like a monster on trail. But from a teaching standpoint I don’t like what I have seen for 2 years. Feeley might have some blame in this as well

Advertisement
Stats lie all the time. Lol. That’s y context is important, and y discussing sports is fun. That’s y it’s always best to see w/ ur eyes vs. going by box scores. Off but on topic; Russell Westbrook set the NBA record for most triple doubles in a season; on paper that looked good, but when you watched the games, you would see how a lot of those triple doubles were impact-less & inefficient.

Our run game went from looking all world to back to normal, which have inflated that stat. Our O was looking all world to pretty pedestrian over the last 3 weeks. I will say that Lashlee is still light yrs better than Enos, but that’s not saying much. We still have way too much talent to struggle like we do.
Are we better than last year or not? That is what the OP is trying to state based on stats. So,I will ask for YOUR opinion. YES or NO

Advertisement
Strength of schedule thus far is 36th, whereas last year we were 71st.

That makes our results look even better when compared to last year.

Our Simple Rating System rating is 18th in America, where last year it was 54th and that’s with playing the #1 team in the country.

We are much better than last year. We still have a lot of work to do.

Both can be true.

Are we better than last year or not? That is what the OP is trying to state based on stats. So,I will ask for YOUR opinion. YES or NO
I’ve already stated in another thread:

We were 6-7 last year. The 6 wins came against one FCS school, one G5 school, FSU, UVA, Pitt, and UL.

So far we’ve played one G5 school, Pitt, UVA, FSU, UL, and Clemson.

-The 5 wins are identical, thus far, against the same opponents with eerily similar results:
-We struggled against a tough minded G5 school in CMU last yr, we struggled against a tough minded G5 school in UAB this yr.

-We had our best statical games against UL & FSU last yr, we’ve had our best statical games against UL & FSU this yr.

-We struggled in a dog fight w UVA & Pitt last yr, we struggled in a dog fight w/ Pitt & UVA this yr.

-We were 0 for in bye weeks last yr; we are 0 for (so far) after a bye week this yr.

The difference is when we played a top team last yr in UF, we didn’t get mopped, and it could be argued we beat ourselves that game. This yr, we played a top team in Clemson & got motor boated.

So can I say we got better? In some areas, yes, in other areas no, hence the uneven play, and the feeling of we were fortunate v. we won. Now, if we come out focused, ready rock next Friday against NCSt, even w/ a back up QB, then let’s talk.

We were 6-7 last year. The 6 wins came against one FCS school, one G5 school, FSU, UVA, Pitt, and UL.

-The 5 wins are identical, thus far, against the same opponents with eerily similar results:
-We struggled against a tough minded G5 school in CMU last yr, we struggled against a tough minded G5 school in UAB this yr.

-We had our best statical games against UL & FSU last yr, we’ve had our best statical games against UL & FSU this yr.

-We struggled in a dog fight w UVA & Pitt last yr, we struggled in a dog fight w/ Pitt & UVA this yr.

-We were 0 for in bye weeks last yr; we are 0 for (so far) after a bye week this yr.

The difference is when we played a top team last yr in UF, we didn’t get mopped, and it could be argued we beat ourselves that game. This yr, we played a top team in Clemson & got motor boated.

So can I say we got better? In some areas, yes, in other areas no, hence the uneven play, and the feeling of we were fortunate v. we won. Now, if we come out focused, ready rock next Friday against NCSt, even w/ a back up QB, then let’s talk.

You do see the difference between the way the CMU-UAB, Virginia and Pitt games each played out don't you?

We dominated the three games this year and barely survived the ones last year.

Advertisement

Fair and good answer. I respect that

You do see the difference between the way the CMU-UAB, Virginia and Pitt games each played out don't you?

We dominated the three games this year and barely survived the ones last year.
We did not dominate UAB, UVA, or Pitt this yr. Not even close. Lol.

UVA was a late PI for coming back and beating us, along w an absolutely blown pick 6, and an illegal man downfield from beating us.

Pitt was in our back yard all game long, with a back up QB who had like 4 snaps under his belt. We were bailed out by 2 or 3 complete wide open drops that would’ve killed us.

UAB was a dog fight as well. I suggest you go back & look at this condensed version. Scoreboard said 31-14, and it took everything to score that 31.

Like I said, we’ve improved in some areas, and regressed in others. We’re an uneven team right now.

Stats lie all the time. Lol. That’s y context is important, and y discussing sports is fun. That’s y it’s always best to see w/ ur eyes vs. going by box scores. Off but on topic; Russell Westbrook set the NBA record for most triple doubles in a season; on paper that looked good, but when you watched the games, you would see how a lot of those triple doubles were impact-less & inefficient.

Our run game went from looking all world to back to normal, which have inflated that stat. Our O was looking all world to pretty pedestrian over the last 3 weeks. I will say that Lashlee is still light yrs better than Enos, but that’s not saying much. We still have way too much talent to struggle like we do.

Absolutely 100%. You can make stats tell all kinds of stories if you dig hard enough and only show the ones that prove the point you want to make. It's all about the context and in sports, the eye test and general feel you get.

Absolutely 100%. You can make stats tell all kinds of stories if you dig hard enough and only show the ones that prove the point you want to make. It's all about the context and in sports, the eye test and general feel you get.
Bro; go back to 2013 when both Alfraud & No’D were defending their defensive philosophy. They kept pointing to how we were like 12th in the nation in total defense. Ppl on here & BR were eating that chit up; but, when u peeled back the layers, you saw how inefficient we were in major categories, which coincided with what many fans complained about.

Advertisement
Back