Stat comparison with last year

The numbers can be subjective. We have played, so far a tougher schedule than in 2019. A majority of the 2019 numbers on offense were boosted by three huge offensive games (Bethune, VT and Louisville) imagine how terrible they would have been if not for those games? We all thought if our offense could just make the jump to average, we’d have a pretty good squad. We’ve done that and more. The overall offensive numbers are not mind blowing but if you consider that 2 of the 6 games have been against top 10 defenses in the nation and when you also factor how bad the offense was last year, it’s been **** near a miracle.

The decline in sacks has more to do with our opponents’ strategy than any other factor. Although losing the nation’s leading returning sacker makes a difference too. This season we’ve seen opponents use a lot more of the quick passing game to neutralize the pass rush. Plus we’ve played a bunch of teams who feature running quarterbacks. It makes it tough to play man coverage when every week you’re playing a guy who can take off and run. Although I did see them finally start using Steed as a spy against Virginia quite a bit. Hopefully we’ll see more of that in coming weeks.

My opinion on what they need to do in the second half to improve:
Offense needs to use the pass to set up the run more. I know Lashlee wants to control the ground game but forcing runs into 8 man fronts when the other team is allowing receivers to run free is counter productive. Make them drop more into coverage and then hit them with the running game.

Defense needs to focus on getting stops when they can’t get guys behind the line. They need to tighten up coverage and force opponents to go over the top. Drop linebackers into underneath zone coverages when their man stays in to pass block instead of rushing the passer three seconds too late. This will take away some of the inside passing lanes that we surrender all too easily.

DTP always brings nuanced takes that are money every time.

Salute.

Advertisement
We about to find out soon hope you number guys are right. Not cheering for losses to be right I hope they obliterate the schedule and not look sloppy against this scrub *** conference
Don’t like that our defense have slipped, which I knew. Our O is starting to come back down to earth too; this against the easy part of our schedule.

Hopefully we get our chit together, get focused, our WRs play w that type of passion that Mike showed last week, and we obliterate the remainder of the schedule.

Think that's partly scheme and a failure to adjust on our part. Teams are quick hitting us more than ever. Why wouldn't they? Many times, our coverages allow it or don't resolve it quickly enough.

we line our safety up over the inside WR but our safeties are 15 yards off the ball. Our LB are slow and lost in space so the middle is wide open.

Advertisement
I mentioned we lost 6 of front 7 from last year.. That inlcudes shaq and 56nightmares plus 4 top DE for what its worth, how many sacks and tackle for losses is that? Thats like 66+ tfl from Garvin, Hill, Rousseau, shaq and 56.. Shaq and 56 had 28 by their self
Oh okay I see. Yeah I didn't catch that but that's completely right.

stats don't lie. So far clear improvement... Let's see how this unfolds but so far no question this is improvement which is what we need to see and in some cases significant improvement. Que in the fire everyone crowd...
Stats lie all the time. Lol. That’s y context is important, and y discussing sports is fun. That’s y it’s always best to see w/ ur eyes vs. going by box scores. Off but on topic; Russell Westbrook set the NBA record for most triple doubles in a season; on paper that looked good, but when you watched the games, you would see how a lot of those triple doubles were impact-less & inefficient.

Our run game went from looking all world to back to normal, which have inflated that stat. Our O was looking all world to pretty pedestrian over the last 3 weeks. I will say that Lashlee is still light yrs better than Enos, but that’s not saying much. We still have way too much talent to struggle like we do.

lots of people on here want to fire manny bcuz we're playing a more "bend don't break" style this year & while i agree that the defense hasn't been as fun to watch, we're actually allowing fewer yards per pass, the same amount of points per game, and have improved on third downs. to me that would indicate that the coaching staff has adjusted the scheme according to this year's talent -- worse pass rush, LBs who aren't very good -- while still maintaining the same level of production overall. VT & UNC will test those numbers, but we've also already played two teams (clemson, louisville) that are in the top 13 on offense per SP+. right now per SP+ we have the no. 16 defense, last year we finished no. 9

Advertisement
Think that's partly scheme and a failure to adjust on our part. Teams are quick hitting us more than ever. Why wouldn't they? Many times, our coverages allow it or don't resolve it quickly enough.
This. WR are open on more 3 step by opposing QBs than I can remember. Even though our yards per play pass def is good, those 6.5 yards are happening on 1st and 2nd down creating 3rd and manageable. If even a 3rd down.

The numbers can be subjective. We have played, so far a tougher schedule than in 2019. A majority of the 2019 numbers on offense were boosted by three huge offensive games (Bethune, VT and Louisville) imagine how terrible they would have been if not for those games? We all thought if our offense could just make the jump to average, we’d have a pretty good squad. We’ve done that and more. The overall offensive numbers are not mind blowing but if you consider that 2 of the 6 games have been against top 10 defenses in the nation and when you also factor how bad the offense was last year, it’s been **** near a miracle.

The decline in sacks has more to do with our opponents’ strategy than any other factor. Although losing the nation’s leading returning sacker makes a difference too. This season we’ve seen opponents use a lot more of the quick passing game to neutralize the pass rush. Plus we’ve played a bunch of teams who feature running quarterbacks. It makes it tough to play man coverage when every week you’re playing a guy who can take off and run. Although I did see them finally start using Steed as a spy against Virginia quite a bit. Hopefully we’ll see more of that in coming weeks.

My opinion on what they need to do in the second half to improve:
Offense needs to use the pass to set up the run more. I know Lashlee wants to control the ground game but forcing runs into 8 man fronts when the other team is allowing receivers to run free is counter productive. Make them drop more into coverage and then hit them with the running game.

Defense needs to focus on getting stops when they can’t get guys behind the line. They need to tighten up coverage and force opponents to go over the top. Drop linebackers into underneath zone coverages when their man stays in to pass block instead of rushing the passer three seconds too late. This will take away some of the inside passing lanes that we surrender all too easily.
Your last paragraph is the part that drives me crazy with these 10 yard delayed blitzes, etc. we give up so much space for easy completions.

Advertisement
I agree Teams are getting the ball out quicker against our defense this year which is limiting the pass rush at times, we still get pressure though

Advertisement
Field Goal percentage

2019- 63.16% (104th)
2020- 90.91% (6th

Hot take: this is the main difference between this year and last. BCU aside, the first 6 games last year were against much better opponents. I think Enos and Williams would have been able to score 20 points on Pitt and 14 points on UVA. We would basically have the same record with Williams and Enos, but the final scores would be closer. I'm not seeing the big improvement I expected from Lashlee. Truth be told, I think Enos PA based offense would have been more effective against UVA than Lashlees absurd inside zone run for - 3 yards based offense. It's also not like King is making a huge difference with his legs so there isn't much of a dual threat right now. Williams had a better deep ball so he might have hit some of those deep passes than King keeps missing so it's kind of a wash as to which QB has the edge.

TBH not going by numbers but our defense took a step back (which I always thought before the season) and our offense took a slight step forward. Judging this off optics.
Numbers are relevant. Just not rankings. Obviously things are scewered when a chunk of teams,conferences etc. either just began,are about to begin or just won't play...

the defense stats that have worsen are due to scheme and passive playcalling more than anything else.
Not really. Play calling and scheme has had the same three stooges conglomerate handling it since mid last season. This is directly a result of(I'm gonna be nice here) inexperienced linebackers and a front four that is weak and unexplosive. The ends are more than capable IF the tackles get up field. 9 out of ten due to scheme and lack of talent for some they don't get up field much. That enables the oline to key on our ends and their not explosive enough to get home in that scenario. The problem with the scheme is the same it's always been. Just in most instances we only saw it previously against talented olines with great communication. Now we see it against anyone who can pick up a blitz. Our backers have potential but need more size and development our front four on the other hand other than nesta is either weak and uninspired or simply was horrible evals and the staph continues to show an inability to develop kids throughout their units. Call it how u wish.

The sack rate is misleading IMO. Look no further than Jaelan. He has 1.5 sacks. But he has been very [consistently] disruptive.

Advertisement
Back