Stat comparison with last year (updated)

That stat is in the OP. We improved our sack percentage from 11% to 8%. Meaningful improvement but we started at the bottom.
Must have skimmed that stat.
Thanks, I see that now.

It is a little disappointing. Disnt seen that bad in games. We still sucks in 3rd down, not so much in our percentage but in the situation we're always in.

Seemed we were always in 3rd and long and our percentage was better because King pulled it out of his back end, either a great throw or great run.

Advertisement
Manny's defense was cool while it lasted. We went from dog**** to pretty **** good. However, it IS gimmicky and it's run its course. It's time to bring in a real defensive coordinator with a normal yet aggressive defense which fits the players in Florida.

I think Miami could be a pretty good CEO type coach but he has to remove himself from his defense to do that. Smell ya later Baker.

@The Franchise highlighted this when the hire first took place.

Advertisement
Can Manny recruit to his defense, as much as we talk about Golden by end of his tenure he left Diaz with enough pieces to run his D, I remember watching I think games from the 2016 year and was taken a back by how fast we played compared to now, those guys were flying around. You would think Diaz could recruit his own players to execute better..

First year with all his recruits and we have high need for transfers and will need them again, major holes and talent level drop off.. Was always weird how when we had success they couldnt convince top players to come play for them..

I'm sorry, but the entire premise of this thread is just hard to take seriously. We've played pathetically bad schedules BOTH years. We basically had a two game season this year and lost both of those games.

The numbers are flattering an offense and a defense that have been nowhere near as good as those numbers in the respective years of "improvement" (2020 offense vs 2019 offense).

It's time to call a spade a spade. This is a fringe top 40-50'ish program right now with the current administration and coaching staff leading the way.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but the entire premise of this thread is just hard to take seriously. We've played pathetically bad schedules BOTH years. We basically had a two game season this year and lost both of those games.

The numbers are flattering an offense and a defense that have been nowhere near as good as those numbers in the respective years of "improvement" (2020 offense vs 2019 offense).

It's time to call a spade a spade. This is a fringe top 40-50'ish program right now with the current administration and coaching staff leading the way.

There is no “premise of this thread.” These are the stats. I understand people are emotional after a terrible game, but it’s pretty straightforward.

What other stats do you think should be included?

Diaz defense versus end of season top ten have given up 36 ppg since he’s been a Canes corch.

The defense has never been good, it’s a mirage just like Paul Johnson’s option is versus the Wake Forests and Dukes of the world.

Diaz not only is the most unqualified coach ever hired here, but he was a mediocre DC that people fell in love with bc of one good ND game and some corny jewelry.

blood splatter shoot self GIF by South Park

Advertisement
There is no “premise of this thread.” These are the stats. I understand people are emotional after a terrible game, but it’s pretty straightforward.

What other stats do you think should be included?

Oh come on now, there is very much a premise to the thread. This has zero to do with emotion, it has everything to do with MEANINGFUL results in the 3,4,5 games in any given year that ACTUALLY MATTER. In 2020, there was only 2 such games against teams with half a heartbeat, you wanna take the stats from those games and compare them to the games against "heartbeat" opponents last year and then attempt to draw some type of conclusion? Then maybe the stats would mean something.

Last edited:
Oh come on now, there is very much a premise to the thread. This has zero to do with emotion, it has everything to do with MEANINGFUL results in the 3,4,5 games in any given year that ACTUALLY MATTER. In 2020, there was only 2 such games against teams with half a heartbeat, you wanna take the stats from those games and compare them to the games against "heartbeat" opponent last year and then attempt to draw some type of conclusion? Then maybe the stats would mean something.
What’s the premise?

2019 6-7
2020 8-2

So next year he needs to win ten games or he should be fired. Works for me.

I’m glad he won a bull**** 8 games bc now he doesn’t have room to show improvement if he doesn’t win the coastal. Do or die time for Manny.

Advertisement
Scoring Offense

2019- 22.6 (99th)
2020- 34 (26th)

+73

Yards per play

2019- 5.1 (97th)
2020- 5.7 (47th)

+50

Yards per pass

2019- 7.2 (73rd)
2020- 8.1 (35th)

+38

Yards per rush

2019- 3.5 (119th)
2020- 4.2 (74th)

+45

Third down percentage

2019- 25.97% (130th out of 130)
2020- 41.78% (56th)

+74

Sack percentage allowed

2019- 11.06% (122nd)
2020- 8.03% (95th)

+27

Rush play percentage

2019- 44.95% (112th)
2020- 52.06% (72nd)

+40

Field Goal percentage

2019- 63.16% (104th)
2020- 90.00% (15th)

+89

Red Zone Scoring Percentage

2019- 73.68% (112th)
2020- 89.74% (21st)

+91

Scoring Defense

2019- 21.9 (26th)
2020- 26.0 (46th)

Yards per play against

2019- 4.6 (10th)
2020- 5.4 (64th)

Yards per pass against

2019- 6.9 (37th)
2020- 6.7 (29th)

+8

Yards per rush against

2019- 3.2 (10th)
2020- 4.8 (92nd)

Third down percentage defense

2019- 38.50% (53rd)
2020- 38.10% (47th)

+6

Sack percentage (defense)

2019- 11.03% (2nd)
2020- 7.59% (37th)

Takeaways per game

2019- 1.6 (40th)
2020- 1.6 (51st)

Not too complicated here. Major improvements across the board on offense and special teams, our worst year of the Manny era on defense. The drastic improvements in ranking include scoring offense (+73), third down offense (+74), FG percentage (+89) and red zone percentage (+91). We also ran the ball more often (+40) and more effectively (+45). Sack percentage is still poor at 95th, but we improved by three whole percentage points and 27 spots.

On defense, the story is simple: our run defense cratered. We dropped 82 spots (!) in rush defense, after four years of solid play under Manny. We actually improved slightly in pass defense (+8) and third down defense (+6). Due to the disaster of a run defense, this was Manny's worst year in scoring defense (-20) and yards per play (-54). We also took a step back in pass rush (-35) despite two NFL DEs.

Remember these numbers as we learn about Manny's off-season adjustments.
I'd settle for some "in-game" adjustments.

What’s the premise?
You're trying to imply there was some semblance of improvement. That's a relative premise.

Stats lie. Numbers and situations are always taken out of context unless you REALLY dig into what you're looking at. Last years team lost games against ****** opponents due to the lack of a kicker. Things like that are outliers. Last years team was better than 6-7, this years team was worse than 8-2. It's just the reality of breaking down things in context.

Like I said. Take out the 4-5 St Brendan's we play every year and THEN compare the numbers. Ignore the field goal kicking fiasco and then try to draw some conclusions. I'd be as curious as anyone to see what those numbers look like. If improvement creeps into those sets of numbers, then I'll be the first to acknowledge it. Fact is our Offense AND defense completely face planted when faced with any type of competent opponent in EITHER year. The offense had moments, but those mostly came against lesser opponents. It's hard to really grab onto that and accept it as "improvement".

Last edited:
Hubris ended Golden's and Richt's tenure here.

The changes that need to be made are obvious. Lets see if Manny has the courage to get rid of friends and put the University over personal relationships.
He did it with the offense. This is a bigger test because it means making changes to his defense. Manny seems introspective enough to change when things aren’t working, crossing my fingers he does so again this odd-season.

You're trying to imply there was some semblance of improvement. That's a relative premise.

Stats lie. Numbers and situations are always taken out of context unless you REALLY dig into what you're looking at. Last years team lost games against ****** opponents due to the lack of a kicker. Things like that are outliers. Last years team was better than 6-7, this years team was worse than 8-2. It's just the reality of breaking down things in context.

Like I said. Take out the 4-5 St Brendan's we play every year and THEN compare the numbers. Ignore the kicking fiasco's and then compare. I'd be as curious as anyone to see what those numbers look like. If improvement creeps into those sets of numbers, then I'll be the first to acknowledge it. Fact is our Offense AND defense completely face planted when faced with any type of competent opponent in EITHER year. The offense had moments, but those mostly came against lesser opponents. It's hard to really grab onto that and accept it as "improvement".
I posted the defensive stats, too.

Advertisement
Back